POLO GTI Vs Lupo 16V SPORT! Help!

thehammer

My search for a Lupo sport 16v is starting to get me down either wrong colour , wrong price! Iv'e started looking at POLO GTI's.

This post is to ask all you Lupo enthusiasts to help me keep my enthusiasm up! Could you tell give me some good comparisons between the 2 cars and anything positive and negative.

I'm not that fussed about the speed / accelaration issues - unless the POLO GTI will be so much faster!

Iv'e seen a sweet Yellow lupo on the owners cars section - its got multispoke alloys and has been slammed! it looks well cool and thats the kind of look I want to achieve when I'm done - something thats my own creation!

Please try and answer these questions aswell - how long did it take for you to find your Lupo ? did you have your eye on anything else? and for what reasons?

Don't think bad of me for looking at POLO GTI - at least its still VW !

Thanks Hammertime!

You are talking about max's lupo - Loudlupo.

Its not a sport i dont think but has been modded to look that cool!

To me, there is no comparison. If you are even considering a polo then..... well anyway.

1. Polo is faster `0-60` i think. its the same engine as lupo gti

2. Polo has terrible handling in comparison

3. Polo is a ladies car

4. Polo is everywhere

5. Residual values for lupo gti are higher

Hiya, I'm on Autotrader daily, keep it open all day , I have a budget of 5K and it has to be trade as I need part - ex ... trust me Iv'e gone on all the car searches ...its a patience thing...thats why my enthusiasm is falling!

Like alot of people would love a GTI but can't afford one so it will have to be a sport and gradually mod it ...

thanks for your replies so far ...Hammertime

i prefer the loop cos to me it seems more of a special car - the alu panels and wider arches were only used in that model loop whereas the polo body is just like the others except for bumpers and skirts. xenons! theyre another reason for the loop....ummmmm bathurst wheels - i really like them & wouldnt change them the polo wheels apparently had a finnish problem. then little details like the battery in the boot, twin central exhaust...the fact that `no-one` in their vectra / corsa / mondeo etc will expect be beaten from the lights in a loop.

the handling in the lupo is poor and the tryes dont grip but it can be sorted.....Ive read that the polo is just not a great handling car by design so even if u modify the suspension / wheels tyres or whatever it will never be amazing.

when i was looking I just broadened my search and bought it further away cos thats where the better deal was....be patient and look in as many places as possible - also dont be put off too easily, the dealer where i bought mine was selling an ex demo on their forecourt for £12500 yet mine, new was bought for way less than this.

ok thats all i can think of, hope something ive put helps u

I've just gone from a mk4 polo to a lupo GTi. To be honest i think it all comes down to if you can live without the boot. The loop handles amazingly compared to my old polo and i wouldn't go back.

As for comparing the polo GTi to the lupo GTi it depends what you want. The lupo is quicker, the newer ones have a 6 spd gearbox and they are more fun to drive. The polo is a bit slower cus of the extra weight but you do get a bit more kit as standard, like 6 cd changer, climate control and fog lights. Both GTi editions are quite rare.

However the bottom line is i dont think you'll get a decent GTi (of either edition) that has been well looked after for 5k.

Just my opinion, hope it helps

If there was no way I could wait and save and buy a gti (lupo) then I think out of the two I'd go for the polo, although I like the sport, and it has rarity even over the polo gti. Like the wheels on the polo gti too, not sure what its like, but would never pick one over the loop gti.