issues with handling in the wet.

lupolouie

just got my lupo gti a few days ago being used to realy good hadling from my old one litre i excpeted the gti to be better.its lowered on kw coilovers its got matador tyres on the back and toyos up front!

but in the wet the back end on must corners is trying to overtake me! im just wondering has any one else had this problem? im putting it down to cheap rear tyres.

Your best/newest tyres should be on the rear. If its happening on most corners, slow down and stop lifting the accelerator mid-corner :P

thing is i was only going a litle faster than i should be on a round about a away it goes lol i drove like a fanny after that then it was fine.but my old lupo would have gone alot harder with no problems

Cheap rear tyres ;)

Did you get the geometry sorted after you lowered it?

Lupo's end up with a lot of camber at the front when lowered, and not allot at the back due to the rear beam. Can cause allot of over-steer. :coffee:

Cheap rear tyres ;)

Did you get the geometry sorted after you lowered it?

Lupo's end up with a lot of camber at the front when lowered, and not allot at the back due to the rear beam. Can cause allot of over-steer. :coffee:

i dont know if its been checked i bought it with the coilies on.think i may try two decent make tyres for the rear and see how i stand

Yeah get some good tyres on the back and you'll be fine.

I had cheap tyres on my Clio 172 and the lift off oversteer in the wet was shocking. That wasn't even at high speeds either!

Order some Toyos for the rear from BlackCircles and they shouldn't cost the earth. You'll notice a good improvement then. :)

Its probably the rear tyres as most people have already said, try dropping the rear pressures to 26psi and the fronts to 30psi and see if that makes a difference. It should allow the rear tyres to bellow a little and get the sidewalls and carcass warmed up enough to provide a little more grip, or go buy some better tyres and fit those!

Just a quick note while were on the subject, its not always the tyres, if the car has coilovers fitted then the rear end dancing around could be due to a few other things.

1, So low its hitting the bump stops on cornering and the sudden lack of travel can cause the body roll to turn into side loading.

2, The setup is incorrect, ie, corner weights or ride height is vastly different from the opposite corner, or axle to axle ratio is incorrect.

3, Oh, The rear tyres are crap!

There is alot more that could cause this but my fingers are now hurting and it gets nerdy and boring from here on in, so change the tyres!!

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

...i was only going a litle faster than i should be on a round about...

Says it all really, drive to "your" and the cars ability, taking into account road and weather conditions and you'll be fine.

Don't blame the tyres, milions of people drive on budget tyres every day of the year and have no problems.

If you want to push it, get on a track, or go somewhere where you'll only kill yourself.

:)