1st gear selection

Patsy

Hi, I have a 1.4S manual, and first gear is very hard to select. All gears easy with engine off, but when running 1st is hard to get into, so much so that I have been setting off in 2nd. Recent clutch and pedal box replacement, so not that. Any ideas please?

Edited by Patsy

Hi this may sound stupid but how do you put first into gear. I had problems with my sport and i was told to put it into 1st like you were taught when learning to drive. Place the palm of your hand on the right hand side of the gear knob and push firmly left from neutral and maintain this pressure leftwards as you slide it up. I was told i had a worn pinion bearing in the gearbox but was deemed fine if i could live with it which i could. Not sure if this will be any help

I find with my Lupos gearbox you quite literally have to move it into gear. It doesn't 'fall' into any of the gears.

For example if it's in neutral, and push up it doesn't fall into 1st or 3rd. It's very specific in how you select your gears. I've found other VW gearboxes feel the same.

Only annoying thing I find is that there is an art to getting it into reverse without it making brief grinding noise. Bit of a pain if you're doing it in a hurry.

I find with my Lupos gearbox you quite literally have to move it into gear. It doesn't 'fall' into any of the gears.

For example if it's in neutral, and push up it doesn't fall into 1st or 3rd. It's very specific in how you select your gears. I've found other VW gearboxes feel the same.

Only annoying thing I find is that there is an art to getting it into reverse without it making brief grinding noise. Bit of a pain if you're doing it in a hurry.

interestingly i had that reverse problem with my sport it was nearly impossible and embarrasing to not be able to get it in without the grinding however its never done it in my gti. weird

hunid-brake.. i now own your sport :P First is a bit tricky to select like you said but with that movement its ok. I would recommend it to person in need who started this tread.

oh and i am yet to have an issue to get it into reverse!

interestingly i had that reverse problem with my sport it was nearly impossible and embarrasing to not be able to get it in without the grinding however its never done it in my gti. weird

It is strange as no other gears feel tricky to select just have to be specific that's all.

I find that I have to stop, foot right down on the clutch, make sure it's right on the floor. Then push accross and up, I can do it without crunching it but there is an art too it.

Strangely enough a lot of Fords struggle to go into reverse if you'd just pulled up. Found this in my mum's old Focus and my ex's Fiesta, you literally could not get it in reverse. Found out you had to put it in neutral, foot off the cluth and back on then it finds reverse no problem.

A friend of mine actually took her car back to Ford because of it and was advised that she needed to do just that! How bent.

hunid-brake.. i now own your sport :P First is a bit tricky to select like you said but with that movement its ok. I would recommend it to person in need who started this tread.

oh and i am yet to have an issue to get it into reverse!

YAY thats awesome. im glad a fan has bought her and not some chav or a biddy. hope she is good to you mate enjoy. oh and how much you pay for her in the end? any plans for modifications? let us know dude :)

YAY thats awesome. im glad a fan has bought her and not some chav or a biddy. hope she is good to you mate enjoy. oh and how much you pay for her in the end? any plans for modifications? let us know dude :)

cheers man :) paid 2650... i think that was too much but i was bored of looking and just wanted one so i paid it! ummm well at the moment im just trying to get all the little bits sorted. The bonet and grill surround are booked in for a respray at the end of the month... then probs just suspension, wheels, clean it lots and then interior :)

p.s. high jack? :P

There's no syncro in first gear or reverse

If thats the case, what do you feel the problem may be? It came on overnight, really hard to get into 1st, sometimes you cant, so i start in 2nd, which is sort of OK, but if a hill start, YUK! I have had the pedal box and clutch done in the last 5K, so hopefully cant be that? Frightened to drive Loopy now

i had the same problem buddy, it turned out to be a worn piece of plastic under the ger gaitor that needed to be replaced, my problem was that if i went to put it into first it would go into 3rd instead, but now all is well and its a much nicer drive, worth a try.

Cheers, James.

Thanks for your help guys. Just one last question though please. I got the AA out in the end as it was unsafe as 1st was impossible. He adjusted the gear selector and its OK now, but said there was a leak from the gear box and that the oil level should be checked ASAP. How can my OH do this? I dont think there is a Haynes manual for the Lupo. Thanks

mines same, its worse for me in second, go to change gear and its almost like im not using the clutch and just grinds, goes is in third every now and then, next month i am on a mission to get it sorted, can be really annoying, and i find goin into reverse really slowly helps the grinding, ive managed it without grinding a few times now lol

and yes there is a lupo haynes manual

mines same, its worse for me in second, go to change gear and its almost like im not using the clutch and just grinds, goes is in third every now and then, next month i am on a mission to get it sorted, can be really annoying, and i find goin into reverse really slowly helps the grinding, ive managed it without grinding a few times now lol

and yes there is a lupo haynes manual

Not according to the Haynes website there isnt!