What would happen if i put a 1.9 passat turbo on ma lupo tdi

19jonny91

Been done, have a search

No it hasn't. Do a search ;)

The turbo from a 1.9TDI wont fit as far as I know.. your engine has three cylinders, the 1.9 has 4.

You would have to fit a 1.9 engine if you wanted to use the Turbo without making a custom maniold.

No it hasn't. Do a search ;)

The turbo from a 1.9TDI wont fit as far as I know.. your engine has three cylinders, the 1.9 has 4.

You would have to fit a 1.9 engine if you wanted to use the Turbo without making a custom maniold.

Would it be a case of cutting the mounting face from both manifolds and welding it on to the three cylinder one, assuming the orientation is correct and there is enough space ?

Would it be a case of cutting the mounting face from both manifolds and welding it on to the three cylinder one, assuming the orientation is correct and there is enough space ?

Exhaust manifold ports are spaced differently on the three cylinder.

The 4cylinder engine is 1,2,3,4, the 3 cylinder is 1,2,small gap,3.

Really odd configuration.

Exhaust manifold ports are spaced differently on the three cylinder.

The 4cylinder engine is 1,2,3,4, the 3 cylinder is 1,2,small gap,3.

Really odd configuration.

I realised that, reading back i dont think i made myself clear really and different interpretations could be took, my fault.

i neant cut the turbo mounting faces from both manifolds and swap them, then the three branch is kept.

Is that possible or are the bolt dimensions and the centre bore the same on both turbos anyway, as i dont thow much about both turbo housing sizes?

I realised that, reading back i dont think i made myself clear really and different interpretations could be took, my fault.

i neant cut the turbo mounting faces from both manifolds and swap them, then the three branch is kept.

Is that possible or are the bolt dimensions and the centre bore the same on both turbos anyway, as i dont thow much about both turbo housing sizes?

It's a big no.

The original GT1544s is an all in one unit complete with manifold and the passat compressor housing will not fit without a lot of modification.

Besides the passat is a longtitudinally mounted engine.

Hmm...didn't know the Lupo TDI was a 3 pot...wonder if I can use the manifold and turbo from a Lupo TDI on my 12V.

No because petrol turbos are liquid cooled and work in a slightly different way.