to optimax or not to optimax

right ppl , what do u recon , i run a new 1ltr and only has moderate poke at about 2000 to 3000 do u recon that it might be a smidge quicker off the line by using this higher octane rated fuel or will the engine not be able to run on a higher grade fuel ??? and if i do use it do u recon that i should run the tank really low then put it in so not to dilute it with a lower grade fuel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i use optimax all the time in my gti, perfomance wise i really wouldnt like to say. its gotta be better for the engine cos its gotta higher ron rating and so burns better. its a bit more expensive, but i dont think it uses as much so it probably works out the same as what you would spend 95 ron. also, it cleans the engine apparently.

used it in my last car which was a 1.1, and it felt noticibly better!!!

a few of the guys on here told me that it starts better from cold too, anyways!! it recommends to use 98 ron in the manual!!

go for it

You may find it's actually exactly the same fuel, but regulations about the way it's transported may be different in different countries, meaning the fuel won't be labeled the same.

For example, Shell can't call Optimax "Super" here, as they can't guarantee 97RON at the pump, although allegedly it's usually higher than 98.

All AFAIK

yeah its been a hot topic before hasnt it....

i think the general opinion is: Optimax should be 98 or above RON, BP Ultimate is 97 RON.

Whether they do anything or not appears to be personal opinion. Sunday Times test says they do very little (even giving less power at lower RPM).

Personally I find a higher RON makes my engine idle smoother, cant measure performance so not sure. Super/Optimax/Ultimate all seem to lower my fuel consumption.

Sainsburys Super Unleaded seems fine.

I use Shell `V-Power` here in the bmw that i drive at the moment as a substitute for my Lupo. It responds very good as for fuel comsumption wich dropped `10-15`%. But it is said that older engines (the car is a 1991 car) respond far better than newer, more modern engines.

i think it really makes a difference. my parents have a 1.0 polo runabout that only really gets used at low revs using normal 95 and the injectors blocked up. ive given it a blast with high revs with injector cleaner, then a tank of optimax and its running sweet again.

just convinced my girlfriend to use optimax to stop her car getting clogged up and cos it seems to make it run a bit smoother.

• 2 weeks later...

so i'm running a old arosa (r reg) - is the general opinion that a higher rated fuel is better then?

out of interest what prices are you all paying for ur fuel - mine is 82.9 - 86.9 for unleaded 95, and about 84.9 - 89.9 for 97 (i think :?)

I used standard 95 unleaded in my gti for the first few months of owning her, but about a month ago I moved over to optimax & the difference it makes is noticable. The car seems more willing to pull harder when accelerating & the improvement in mpg's I'm getting makes the extra expense negligable.

Apparently, because higher octane fuel degenerates more quickly than normal fuel (something to do with it being less stable), the actual octane level could fluctuate from tank to tank...

Edit: P.S I pay 89.9 for Optimax, Esso standard unleaded is 83.9

i think it really makes a difference. my parents have a 1.0 polo runabout that only really gets used at low revs using normal 95 and the injectors blocked up. ive given it a blast with high revs with injector cleaner, then a tank of optimax and its running sweet again.

and so it should

it will help simpler/older engines more due to having no ECU

Bikers do not use optimax as it very common cause of problems especialy not starting etc... So i would never use it incase i got into a routine of filling up with optimax and filled up my bike!

just wondering - how many litres can you get in a lupo tank? ('rosa seems to be about 30litres - correct me if im wrong)

i'm reading how many miles to a tank poeple r getting but dont know how many litres a tank is :?

cheers - no wonder lupo guys are getting 250+ from a tank (i think thats what they said)

damn you all, i only get 200ish - then again that could be my driving lol tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

cheers bossjohnc - never knew that smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> dont think im gonna try it though - dont want to risk blowin it up, i like my 'rosa in one piece!

hmmm *reads a bit more* so can u get 6 speed gear boxes? i suppose there's no chance of puttin one in a 'rosa - or is that just wishful thinking? laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />