cars to replace the gti????

matt~black

Just wondering what gti drivers are looking at for their next car or what ex gti drivers moved onto I've thought of loads of things but always thought it has to be something special to replace the gti so few things I've looked at are;

-vx220 - only 2 seats little one on the roof would ruin the aerodynamics

-911 carerra 4 - insurance put a damper on that one

-Alfa 147gta I like them but not enough to replace the loop

-RS4 I can only afford an avant and I'm far too young for that regardless of how cool they are and the suprisingly reasonable insurance premiums for the performance

-M3 Insurance again grrrr

and finally I've decided on a seat leon k1 I was just wondering if there is anything I'm missing as an option and for your opinions on other post gti options

GTI is pretty unique, if you can only find cars your seeing the negatives in your probably not ready to move on.

I thought for ages when I sold my lupo, about what I would get instead. Ended up with the Civic, happy with it for now as it is a good balance between affordability and performance. But one day I want a skyline. Here is a few more for your list:

Mk5 GTI

RS Focus

Civic Type-R

Evo 6 or 8

Impreza P1

GTI is pretty unique, if you can only find cars your seeing the negatives in your probably not ready to move on.

I thought for ages when I sold my lupo, about what I would get instead. Ended up with the Civic, happy with it for now as it is a good balance between affordability and performance. But one day I want a skyline. Here is a few more for your list:

Mk5 GTI

RS Focus

Civic Type-R

Evo 6 or 8

Impreza P1

yeah considered almost all of those not mk5 gti though too bland rs-focus was a thought I like the civics but nowhere near as rare as the loop and evo's and scoobies are just too much insurance and would need an lpg conversion

Im wanna get a MINI Cooper S GP next year once insurance becomes affordable. Still a nice sharp car to drive and has some power to it too.

:lol:

Nice cars, but not for me.

Finaly decided on a leon cupra, looking for the right 1 now!

Drive one before you buy, they are a little too tame for me. Felt pretty average on the performance front, pretty quick, but too comfortable and the 1.8t has no real peak almost diesel like.

Just my opinion though, you may love it. :)

Yeah, I'm gonna have a drive before buying. Took out the cupra deisel 150 last week, that was ok, not fast but comfortable and fuel eficient. Looking forward to testing the 1.8t as I thought the performance would be alot better. I like the look of the leon, has a sporty look yet it's still quite subtle. IMO.

I've moved on to a TT Roadster 225, the performance is smooth but still rapid, 2nd and 3rd gears really are quite thrilling. Plus i never get bored of listening to the turbo whistle away with the roof down. I searched for a top spec one, but fortunately one came up within around 6 weeks, however i had to travel 5 or so hours for it, but it was well worth it.

I had to travel 5 or so hours for it, but it was well worth it.

Good cars are always worth the distance, you'll only kick yourself later.

the guy with the leon wasn't interested in the loop in part ex so i'm going to have to sell loop privately first i reckon so i'm not limiting myself to buying trade as they aren't the most common things in the world i saw an astra vxr on the motorway and thought they look prety sweet would have to do an lpg conversion though i reckon i don't fancy anything much less economical that the loop

A diesel K1? I thought you could only get the K1 in Cupra guise. The kit looks very similar to the normal dealer fit kit with the exception of the centre exhaust.

i don't fancy anything much less economical that the loop

So then why look at cars like the RS4? H

having an LPG converted Astra vxr would probably the most un cool thing on the planet IMO.

The K1 cupra has to be one of the sexiest cars on the road today, id love one!

Edited by 2001gti

A diesel K1? I thought you could only get the K1 in Cupra guise. The kit looks very similar to the normal dealer fit kit with the exception of the centre exhaust.

yeah maybe it's just the k1 kit the petrol ones have centre exit exhaust the dervs have twin exits much like the mk4 r32 so i think it is just a btcc kit

as for looking at rs4's that'd have been an lpg conversion too there are a few performance cars cropping up with lpg conversions these days and i think it'll become more and more common as petro prices rise again don't see what's uncool about a vxr with lpg there is very little loss in performance it just makes driving a fast car more reasonable there are a few evo's knocking around on lpg too

i can fully understand why people convert to LPG i just think, if you can afford the car that does less than 15mpg then you should be able to to afford the runnin costs.

if i were to run one without lpg I'd like I'd imagine most evo/rs4/other mentaly fast car drivers use it only as a second car but to have the reasonable running costs and the fun of driving a fun car to work every day would be the perfect example of having your cake and eating it so to speak

Edited by matt~black