Centre brake light fix (gti)

BeccaGTI

Right after reading lots of posts on here regarding others having a faulty rear light i decided to take off the rear spoiler and get to the light.

10 min job to get it off and the light out of the spolier!!

Corroded is an understatement!!! the pins have actually broken off the light connection and are embeded inside the loom connector!!!

The fix and cost:

New LED brake light unit 02 on i belive are all the more expensive option just short of £30 from VW dealer

New Male connector to connect to the loom side im told £1 from VW.

I thought i would just make a point of saying this really is not a tough job, so if your centre light is not working its a £30 fix and take you no longer than 30mins.

Seriously simple!!!!!

It is a very easy job. When I done mine tho one of the nuts for the brakelight was seized up. Ended up takin me an extra half hour to grind it off tryin not to damage the spoiler :(. Think it had been leaking for a very long time lol.

Right after reading lots of posts on here regarding others having a faulty rear light i decided to take off the rear spoiler and get to the light.

10 min job to get it off and the light out of the spolier!!

Corroded is an understatement!!! the pins have actually broken off the light connection and are embeded inside the loom connector!!!

The fix and cost:

New LED brake light unit 02 on i belive are all the more expensive option just short of £30 from VW dealer

New Male connector to connect to the loom side im told £1 from VW.

I thought i would just make a point of saying this really is not a tough job, so if your centre light is not working its a £30 fix and take you no longer than 30mins.

Seriously simple!!!!!

Becca! Thank you for this!! My centre brake light isn't working on my 02 plate gti :( the male connector thing - was this something u HAD TO buy when u got the light from them? Also, how did you take the spoiler off? Yes, i'm a noob :)

Thank you! :D

Sorry Troopa!!

I have ordered everything today!! the part number for the male connector is 1JO973119 - £1.60

not sure on the brakelight its one of two depending on age from 2001 on is the more expensive one i know it ends in a B rather than an A.

Two bolts under the rubber gaitors to get the spoiler off 8mm socket - then the three posidrive scres under the black plastic trim in the centre, should just come off.

All parts available seperate, but the light is one unit - its not just a bulb, they corrode so bad its shocking!!

Any probs let me know!!

Pete (Becs other half)