HELP

rosarick

Had an accident today on the m25, i hit a bmw up the bum, not sure quite what the damage is to his vehicle but doesnt look too serius (big dent in the reer

bumper). My car however has a cracked slam panel, bumper doesnt fit rite, bonnet crumpled and headlight slightly out of place.

We exchanged details on the side of the road and I drove home.

I spoke to my dad who wants to transfer the current reg on my car (as it is private) to one of his own cars. I checked my MOT in horror to find out that it is

expired by 5 days. I really am not too sure where i stand as I am insured, taxed but just have no valid MOT. If the car is written off i could lose the number

plate and because there is no mot on the car i cant change the registration.

If i was to file a claim will i get paid out fully for my car and the other persons, or would i be better off to settle with cash for the other driver.

Please help!!!!

I'm sorry to say but i'm pretty sure with no mot your car isn't technically insured? i think thats right anyway :(,

how did you forget your mot? its like the same date every year? :lol:

i'd reccomend paying the guy for the damages to his car yourself if you can, fix your car & get it mot'd

as i don't think the insurance will pay you out as the vehicle could technically be unroadworthy?

hoper for your sake it all gets sorted in the most convenient way for you mate, bad times

Just got this off somewhere though and my suspicions were correct :(

"You could get done for driving without an MOT which invalidates your insurance. You could be looking at a large fine and points."

Edited by Daz_Kez

thanks mate just been researching and found this 'It is a Myth that If your car has no MoT or road tax then your insurance is invalid' and apparently it

was an article from the times so i mite be okay. and i have only had the car a year and done the tax online so no need for getting the mot out

i stupidly assumed that the mot ran out same month as insurance :(

thanks mate just been researching and found this 'It is a Myth that If your car has no MoT or road tax then your insurance is invalid' and apparently it

was an article from the times so i mite be okay. and i have only had the car a year and done the tax online so no need for getting the mot out

i stupidly assumed that the mot ran out same month as insurance :(

ahh right mate,

well not wishing to p!ss on your parade but im quite sure you might have no insurance,

as the mot is a yearly safety check & is compulsary, however i believe you have something like 7 days to get it mot'd again?(not entirely sure though)

you may find the insurance might pay the other guy out but not you... but once i don't know where you stand tbh as of being covered because i dont give insurance ;) all i do is mot's haha, but same as i say best of luck with you getting it sorted out mate

If you know the MOT station, ask them to do the test presuming pre accident condition or get the lump hammer out and get it straightened out before hand. Your insurance should cover the TP damage and PI claim, but not repairs to yours if they get snotty; you have to remember that by not having an MOT and presuming you weren't driving to a pre-booked test (that might be your get out if you can 'pre book' one now in the past), you had absolutely no right to be on the road in the first place. Ignorance or being brain dead is no defence at all.

I wouldn't worry too much though. Look through your T&Cs first on your insurance, but I'm sure TP cover applies whatever. Don't claim for your own car so they can't write it off, get it fixed, get an MOT and get the plate off.

Not sure how your insurance stands now, I would have thought that it would be invalid.

I just checked the internet and found this, it maybe of some use to you:

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index...13085341AAAq9AT

I think you would be best served offering to pay for the BMW to be repaired, although I doubt BMW parts will be cheap!

I have a mate who rear ended a Land Rover Defender in his Mercedes Benz E280, he smashed the grill wrecked the bumper and pushed the haedlamps in slightly. The car was MOT'd a couple of days later and failed on sharp edges, 20mins and several rolls of silver gaffer tape over the front bumper and careful manipulation of the grill he was ready for a retest, amazingly it passed so there is hope. I agree that if you know the MOT centre you may be lucky, I also heard that if you use the local authority garage (where they service council vehicles and buses) they are quite lenient as they do not offer repairs.

Good luck

Edited by JB1.0e

could easily have damaged the boot floor in the bmw and the rear crash structure, could easily be well into four figures depending on how old the car was.

well not wishing to p!ss on your parade but im quite sure you might have no insurance,

:rolleyes:

Don't worry - I'm fairly sure of the opposite. If possible, get an MOT now, if the car will pass. Otherwise, book it in for an MOT at the place it's being repaired. The fact that you don't have one is unlikely to come out in the wash, and is clearly an oversight.

thankyou all for the help you have all been giving...much appreciated the bmw is a new shape 5 series (54 plate).

if my car does get written off will i still be able to keep the private reg and transfer it without a valid mot

5 series m sport front bumper is over a grand before painting, not sure about the rear but would guess if it's just the bumper and paint you'd probably be £1500 minimum but you might have bent the exhaust, damaged the catalysts, etc. so a simple bump can run over £5k easily, especially if he gets a like for like hire car while it's off the road.

thankyou all for the help you have all been giving...much appreciated the bmw is a new shape 5 series (54 plate).

if my car does get written off will i still be able to keep the private reg and transfer it without a valid mot

Call and ask - this scenario must happen all the time. I can't see that you'd require an MOT for anything other than the car you were transferring the reg to (rather than from).

wow 5 grand...mite have to go through the insurance then. what do you think the insurance will do about my car though its only a y reg bort it a year ago got £2200, surely damage around 800-1000 will turn my car into a write-off in the eyes of the insurance??

how do you know all this stuff man you seem very knowledgeable... thanks for you help though.

how does the categories work though, like cat d c b etc.

if thy write if off i may b able to buy back from the insurance company is that write??

was young once and written off a couple myself

Category A: Scrap only - this vehicle should have been crushed. It should never reappear on the road and there are no economically salvageable parts. It is of value only for scrap metal - e.g. a totally burnt-out vehicle.

Category B: The bodyshell should have been crushed. The vehicle should never reappear on the road, but it can be broken for spare parts plus any residual scrap metal.

Category C: Vehicle extensively damaged and insurer has decided not to repair. The vehicle should have an independent inspection before being allowed back onto the road.

Category D: Vehicle damaged and insurer has decided not to repair.

Category F: Vehicle damaged by fire and insurer has decided not to repair.

Its coz he's old :P

But you still want me, I can tell ;)

If it's cat d you can probably buy it back but it depends what the salvage people value it at as to whether it's worth it. If you let them know you are interested they usually give you first refusal