What Next?

Gibbeth!

Are FTO's fun?

I cant help thinking they look good but would be crap to drive.

fto's are very fun to drive but expensive up keep.

if you're looking at alfa's or anything that you can't fix and maintain easily yourself look at servicing costs as well as insurance costs as (especially with alfa's, it's not just a top gear myth) they may be more expensive and more frequent than you are able to cope with.

mind that older cars like mk2 golfs etc may have a high milage but are cheap for what you get and are cheap and easy to fix (most of which can be done yourself, no funcy new electronics and lack of engine bay space to worry about). you can get a mint mk1 golf gti for 3k cheap insurance with low milage. new engines/gearboxes are cheap, and easy to find and replace/refurb when it's needed, ~£600 (the engine shop, in kent). i would recommend any mk1/mk2 vw.

my mk1 had 185k on it before it needed the engine and gearbox done, it's had more owners than i've had cars.

i'm also on the look out for a new car ( :( boohoo poor yeti) i'm looking at diesels due to driving 50 mile a day, :D have my eye on an beeza and an audi, OH has eye on the audi, if i buy it i get his remapped beeza yay! lol

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£4k can buy you a decent high spec Bora Highline TDI.

That's what I would do any ways...and the added benefits of having a TDI remapped.

And the added benefit of being able to wear a cowboy hat and stick the letter T at the end of BORA.

Cheers Liam, Ive seen the 20vt one on Edition, but its a bit too much, and I think insurance would be considerably higher as its a conversion.

I know of someone local who has a Mk2 Vr6, which is mint, and I think he wants about 4k for it, will have to see if hes ready to get rid of it and see what insurance will be like.

Shouldnt really admit this on a VW forum lol and not really a fan of french cars...But im loving the Clio cups at the moment and can pick up right bargains at the moment...There good fun and fairly good on fuel.

They are great cars and not badly built at all. They don't feel any less well built than my Lupo thats for sure.

Fuel wise you'll get a constant 32mpg out of it, 40mpg+ if you're at a constant speed. Because the performance is higher up the revs if you drive it normally they're really economical.

If it were me, look for a good 'full fat' rather than a Cup model. Reason being is that on the road the performance difference is minimal but in the full fat you get leather, xenons, climate control etc. Also the 172 Cup doesn't have ABS and is group 17 instead of 16 like the normal 172 is.

the new style clio has a horrible driving position, like all french cars... accept worse!!

Not all French car driving positions are bad, not quite sure how you can know that. But the Clio driving position wasn't ideal. I'm 6'1" and used to just put the seat as low and far back as it would go, was always ok for me. The seating in the Meganes though is spot on, much comfier and can get a better set up with the reach and rake steering column.

Thats 3k for a car thats atleast 25 year old!

I think im just going to wait and try and save up a bit more, if I can find another £1000, I could probably start looking at a decent Lupo GTI.

errr lol no, mines only 21. mk1s were built up to 1990 i believe, still being built when mk2s came on the scene. and by mint i mean like it rolled out the factory yesterday. parts are cheap and easy to come by, you can fix most things yourself, the potential to change it just the way you want it is infinate, and you get to blow away chavs in their 1.2 boy'dup bathtubs, in a car that's older than them :D genius! i can't say just how much i love doing that in my mk1 gti cabby. beat by a girl, losers. specially when they 'rev it' !! lmfao, all skirt nae knickers, their faces when you drown them out!!! love it.

£1000/1500 will get you a decent mk1 with some work to do on it, less than that and your looking at a some to fair bit of work to be done.

all depends on what your into tho, i love old cars cos it means i can tinker, but new cars mean better economy and safety.

Going to look at a MkII VR6 at the weekend, its a mates of my dads, he did the conversion, and it was mint the last time I saw it.

If its in anything like the same condition, and he wants decent money for it, Ill be off to the bank!

IIRC, and its along time since I saw it, so I may well be wrong, its on 9" Brock A's, used a Mk3 donor, so has everything Mk3, half leather retrim, big bumper, G60 arches. Think the colours 'calypso green' a very pale bluey green colour.

Think the engines standard apart from an induction kit.

He had it booked into a garage for rear wheel bearings today, so should be going to look at it Sat/Sun.

Been out in the Golf tonight, got some photos to upload, but its as mint as I remember, and pretty much exactly the same as the spec I wrote above.

FK coilovers, 280mm brakes, Cat 1 Alarm.

Just got to decide if I can afford it now, but Im in love :wub: