On a scale of 1-10 - how hard to change drums?

ICAP

My rear drum brakes are gone, and need replacing (the shoes and the drums!)

How hard is this to do?

Ive changed front disks/pads before, but never done the rear drums before.

Pretty easy, though I've never done it on the Arosa.

There is a screw holding the drum to the hub, unscrew it.

This is where there could be problems. If there is no, or a small, lip on the drum it will come off with a bit of gentle persuasion. If there is a big lip it could be quite difficult. You have to be careful as if you are too forceful you could pull off the shoes and damage the cylinder seals.

I have had to cut really bad drums off before. :wacko:

Once the drums are off the shoes are just held on by springs and ressure from the 'cylinder'.

Replace the same as you took them off and put the new drums on.

Maybe need a clean and bleed if they were bad.

Ok thanks for that. Im guessing about a 5 then, unless something wont come off or wont go on properly.

I think to do both sides, plus a proper brake fluid change it would take me a couple of days. The front disks/pads are fine, but i would need to bleed the brakes all round to do the job properly. Garages will charge too much to do the job, so i will be doing it myself.

I doubt there is a need to change rear drums on a lupo until around 70-80K miles. They dont seem to wear!

Mine has done I checked mine at 40K miles and they had loads of material left. Its now done 58K and im not about to go checking them again.

They do sometimes get filled with dust and make grinding noises, but they usually just want a clean when that happens.

Really easy to remove (remember, take the handbrake off :lol: ) and tap it side by side to get it off, as there will no doubt be a lip holding the drum on.