budget induction kits / air filters

SC02 FFF

If you really want to know an induction kit will add 1bhp and a stupid sound which you will hear constantly at a speed of 60mph (3,000rpm +).

It got on my tits after a while sitting there on the motorway but I managed to find a way to keep the induction kit and make it about as silent as the standard air box.

See 2nd page of my old thread. clicky

Worked out expensive in the end but considering the money I had already spent on it, it made it worth while.

Stick to the standard air box and buy an aftermarket panel filter. Standard box really isn't that restrictive.

Also you will have to fiddle about with the oil breather pipe as seen in my thread to get rid of the smell. I left it floppy for about a month and I ended up with a cough which lasted for weeks.

Edited by Niche

I was advised that Green Cotton filters seem to be the best panel filter by the place that was going to remap my Audi. Not sure how their induction kits sound though.

I can't hear my BMC when just cruising, only when accelerating.

The standard cold air feeds on the GTI look really restrictive, whether they actually are I don't know, and not sure if other models differ.

You only got a cough because you're from down south, we're used to the smog and smoke up here. :lol:

I was advised that Green Cotton filters seem to be the best panel filter by the place that was going to remap my Audi. Not sure how their induction kits sound though.

I can't hear my BMC when just cruising, only when accelerating.

The standard cold air feeds on the GTI look really restrictive, whether they actually are I don't know, and not sure if other models differ.

You only got a cough because you're from down south, we're used to the smog and smoke up here. :lol:

This is London so I beg to differ. :P

You can't hear your BMC because you have more gears, the noise of a BMC is consistent at 3,000rpm + on a Sport. Not sure what it's like on a GTI.

Your throttle body and inlet manifold is the only restrictiveness for the air intake tbh.

Not cheap but Ill sell you a bmc for £80 collected or £90 posted, comes with everything needed to fit a sport or gti, and a piper cross breather. You would need to buy a new hose to make it fit a 1L. :coffee:

I had a green cotton pannel filter on the bora, But because the reinforceing mesh that they use is made of mild steel and painted green, all the paint has started flaking off and the mesh went all rusty... Needless to say it went back to the guy I bought it off and I got a "Part Refund"

Currently using a Jetex panel filter and it seems to be a million times better quality.

think your getting confused betweed a pannel filter and a induction kit. a pannel filter is just a replacement element in the standard box= no more noise where as an induction kit you will get the noise when u boot it!

IMO ITG are up there with the best filters. I had ITG when I had my throttle bodied GTI and I have an ITG panel filter in the Elise now.

IMO ITG are up there with the best filters. I had ITG when I had my throttle bodied GTI and I have an ITG panel filter in the Elise now.

I have heard the maxogen kit is very good for gains but doesn't have the usual induction roar. Something that might be so some peoples taste but when your paying over £300 for a filter I would want it to sound amazing :coffee: