Mountain bikes

treblet

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my 2p worth....

personally if your wanting to do some xc and dh go for something like a specialized sx trail or some of the marin quakes mainly something with the lockout bar on the rear end. these are sooo helpfull depending where they are and depending on the shock at a later date you can upgrade/tftune it so it has the remote lockout on the bars alowing you to alter at you move. i've done years of XC riding and i'm heavely into the downhill now and i'm using a orange 222. i'd personally go for a freeride with lockout on the rear shock and you should be ok for both riding.

Frame size wise i'd go for a 15-16.5 any more and you'll suffer on the downhills. lol. have a look on www.southerndownhill.co.uk theres usually alot of different stuff on there but you do need to sign up to see the for sale stuff. Other websites are www.chainreactioncycles.co.uk.

im hearing lots of good things about this norco sasquatch and its in my budget, and as lame as it may sound it looks nice too, is that a bit gay?

I've asked my mate who is quite good with bikes both road and downhill/jump/cross country what he thinks and he was surprised at the price of that and said to get one as they are normally more too so its looking like that at the moment

cheers for all your help guys, you've done a lot of hard work for me!!

thats part of the reason im gettin a new bike, but it was also something that was partly putting me off the sasquatch!

i was also looking at norco bigfoot too, its a bit cheaper aswell and has more gears = less money, less work, probably same enjoyment!

^^^

no it doesnt! ignore that, i was looking at the wrong bike, and it was £200 more!

Edited by treblet

cant really go wrong with norco

there good all round bikes...my riding buddy has the bigfoot and uses it for downhill. only thing he had changed is the wheels

was built and tested at whistler bike park in Canada so its a tough all rounder

I had a Norco Torrent (2005 iirc the Matt black one) freakin' loved it! Used it for everything! Then I built a seperate bike for street use!

I'm tempted to buy myself a 24" BMX though now just to do a bit of the ol' exercise on.

I had a Norco Torrent (2005 iirc the Matt black one) freakin' loved it! Used it for everything! Then I built a seperate bike for street use!

I'm tempted to buy myself a 24" BMX though now just to do a bit of the ol' exercise on.

gotaa love 24's

i still love how people cant get their head around mine not quite being a bmx but not a mountain bike :P

The norco is £500 quid because it's a bike from 2005, so I'm not surprised at the price, but it would be the one I would go for, it will weigh a bit more than an XC alternative, but as soon as you start trying to jump an XC bike it will probably end in tears.

I had a 1999 rockhopper made from ritchey cromo steel tubing, was a cool bike, but ended up snapping the down tube after doing a few smallish jumps like this (pic below), but always had a harsh landing from the rockshox jett t2 forks.

I think the rockhoppers these days will be alot stronger as the welds seem to be big and have more gussets.

Norco's are cool though, and it's something different in the UK, so I'd get that.

mebike.jpg

looking at a kona stuff too, i was planning on getting a cheap road bike off of ebay so i wont really be using this bike for any long road stuff just the too and from offroad stuff!

Kona stuffs are decent bikes, mate of mine has 2 konas and he loves them!

The norco is £500 quid because it's a bike from 2005, so I'm not surprised at the price, but it would be the one I would go for, it will weigh a bit more than an XC alternative, but as soon as you start trying to jump an XC bike it will probably end in tears.

I had a 1999 rockhopper made from ritchey cromo steel tubing, was a cool bike, but ended up snapping the down tube after doing a few smallish jumps like this (pic below), but always had a harsh landing from the rockshox jett t2 forks.

I think the rockhoppers these days will be alot stronger as the welds seem to be big and have more gussets.

Norco's are cool though, and it's something different in the UK, so I'd get that.

mebike.jpg

you obviously weren't landing properly! haha i have hopped my rockhopper off 6 foot walls and landed on the back tyre so many times and no breakages ever occured apart from buckling wheels and **** like that!

Kona stuffs are decent bikes, mate of mine has 2 konas and he loves them!

you obviously weren't landing properly! haha i have hopped my rockhopper off 6 foot walls and landed on the back tyre so many times and no breakages ever occured apart from buckling wheels and **** like that!

Used to land pretty flat back in the day, but I was a begginer :blush:

Landing on the back wheel in trails is a bit different to landing a jump though, the top tube/down tube are never going to be affected.

it is, but there is still a **** load of presure bearing down on all the joints!

OK I'll give you that, I always used to have issues with buckled wheels and ****ty square tapered cranks on my XC bikes, thank the lord for splined cranks!

Bet your hs33's are a pain when you buckle a wheel? I used to have a hs11 on the back of my old bmx, used to love having a decent brake on a bmx for once.

IMO you need to have a think about what area of biking you want to get in to, as you're not going to find a bike that does, xc, dh, jump.

I'd agree, but do you just want it for a mess about on a weekend? Or are you going to be doing some serious XC riding/DHing etc.

If you just want to mess about, raise the seat on the norco for xc, lower it for DH, Jumps...

IMO It's always better to have a stronger bike, with stronger wheels, cranks, to use for all 3, than to use an XC bike for all 3... Yeah you will be shagged doing XC on the norco.. but will make you fitter!

OK I'll give you that, I always used to have issues with buckled wheels and ****ty square tapered cranks on my XC bikes, thank the lord for splined cranks!

Bet your hs33's are a pain when you buckle a wheel? I used to have a hs11 on the back of my old bmx, used to love having a decent brake on a bmx for once.

not too bad, they are quick release and you can adjust them easily so they are ok, make a super sexy sound though! :P

IMO you need to have a think about what area of biking you want to get in to, as you're not going to find a bike that does, xc, dh, jump.

Never heard of a Raleigh Bomber? They did everything. Heavily.

Of course you are ;)

FREERIDE!

He doesn't have a freeride budget Al.

Also I wouldn't use a freeride bike for serious xc.

Edited by Matt A