LUPO GTI QUESTIONS - PLS HELP!

Toby

Hi guys, im in the market for a lupo gti or polo gti, can't decide which. Can you tell me

1) Does the lupo suffer from throttle bodie probs? If so how do you clean and can vw do it, read some posts about lupos doing 16 sec to 17.5 sec 1/4 mile times at santa pod :?

2)Don't want to invalidate warrantay so anyone know if the eibach springs vw supply actually do any significant lowering (40mm??)

3) Is there any real significant difference between 5sp and 6spd. 5spd's seem to be a lot cheaper and theres a black one near me, shall i go for it?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for a great site toby biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The Polo GTi is good but I chose the Lupo GTi.

No problems with the throttle body on the GTi. Ok, they can need an occasional clean but thats something thats relatively easy.

The GTi is lower as standard, but thats something thats bettered with coilovers.

5 or 6 speed is up to personal preference, ive driven both but I prefer the 6 as its fun flicking it between cogs.

Welcome to the forum, can answer the 5 V 6 speed question, buy by condition and spec, if I'd bought used I would rather have had a very tidy 5 speeder than a tatty 6 or a well specced 5 rather than a boggo 6, but its personal preference. I've driven both and both are great, I personally wanted 6 as I had 6 in the car before the lupo and whenever I get in a 5 speed car now I instinctively try and put it into a gear that isn't there. The extra money is worth getting rid of that irritation alone biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

On the polo gti, I like them, nice wheels, subtle looking, nice in black, and are getting cheaper, but I've never driven one so can't comment.

Welcome mate

The Eibach springs are for all Lupos except the GTi. Sorry bout that

I'd say drive both before you decide! I've driven both and bought a Lupo..............if space isn't too much of a problem I reckon you'd do the same........

16.0 secs 1/4 mile at pod is no worries at all if you can drive *whistles and puts hands in pockets* :roll:

it was me with my slow gti *proud*

anyway - i have a 5speed, got nothing to do with slow times at santa pod there are loads of discussions on here over the past few months and everyone with 5 speed loves them, everyone with 6 speed loves them - so up to you really

as for throttle body its easy to clean but prob not a common problem. mine has done 59,000 miles and been drivin hard right from new - its also pretty old (November 2000) so that might explain.. its quicker now shes had a good clean out and a BMC air box, and should be even quicker when i put new brakes on to stop the binding ones slowing me down!!!

as for Polo / Lupo, disagree with everyone above. Drove a Polo GTI and laughed at its slowness and general comedy drive... but i reckon standard suspension is harder. get a lupo gti cos its the best thing ever and very rare indeed!

Really?? Polo GTis are all over the place down here!

They actually tend to be considerably cheaper than lupo GTis second hand too, and come with air con as standard.

I didn't even consider one though - love the looks of the Lupo far more, and the better performance/handling (imo) makes it for me.

I had a Mk5 Polo and loved it - not a GTI though, only the 1.4 75bhp model.

The Polo GTI came with climate control as standard - which wasn't even an option for the UK Lupo GTI sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Overall they're an excellent car - the handling wasn't quite as precise as on the Lupo, but I would say that the level of grip was similar, and once you got used to it you could really fling it round corners - I wouldn't like to bet that the Lupo has noticeably better handling.

Slightly more legroom in the back, although back passengers sit a bit lower, so visibility is worse for them. Much bigger boot - easily fit 8 full bags of shopping in there, or a serious bit of subwooferage, without difficulty.

Dashboard is almost identical to the Lupo - tweeters are mounted in the `A-pillar` rather than in the dash. Single piece door cards. The GTI model has silly '1' logos on the seats as standard, which looks a bit daft IMO - however, you could probably get a `leather-equipped` one for similar money to a `non-leather` Lupo sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Overall I'd recommend it if you want a bit more space, or like the styling of the Polo Mk5 over that of the Lupo. Sure, it's a bit slower, due to the weight (0.3 seconds longer to get to 60), and it doesn't have the aluminium panels to sort out the weight balance, but it's still a cracking car.