Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

Hello,

In between the torrential rain we have been enjoying I decided to clean the car.

I have noticed the wheels are begining to corrode around the VW logo, that and I notice there are an increasing number of small chips appearing, got to love the pot holes.

Any way, I want to get the wheels refurbished. My Dad had his wheel done after he made contact with a kerb, however I was not impressed with the repair that was carried out. The question I have is:

Has anyone had their wheels refurbished near Birmingham and would they recommend any companies in particular.

I have seen price indicated in other threads and the average seems to be £50-£100 per wheel, does this vary depending on the condition of the wheels?

Also, Final daft question. I have to use the car to drive to and from North yorkshire every week so I can not really have the car off the road for long, how long would the work take on average?

Many Thanks

James

Youl be looking at a base price closer to £50 per wheel for a general refurb but it depends on what you want done. The place I got a quote from said they may add an extra cost if they need to fill alot of dents/grooves, and it would take about 3 days to do the four wheels.

I dont know any places in or around Brimingham im afraid. maybe someone else can help.

Edited by ge0rdie

Hello,

In between the torrential rain we have been enjoying I decided to clean the car.

I have noticed the wheels are begining to corrode around the VW logo, that and I notice there are an increasing number of small chips appearing, got to love the pot holes.

Any way, I want to get the wheels refurbished. My Dad had his wheel done after he made contact with a kerb, however I was not impressed with the repair that was carried out. The question I have is:

Has anyone had their wheels refurbished near Birmingham and would they recommend any companies in particular.

I have seen price indicated in other threads and the average seems to be £50-£100 per wheel, does this vary depending on the condition of the wheels?

Also, Final daft question. I have to use the car to drive to and from North yorkshire every week so I can not really have the car off the road for long, how long would the work take on average?

Many Thanks

James

One of my mates refurbs and will paint wheels any color for £35 a wheel and he doeas a really good job aswel. But its nowhere near birmingham so not really a good help :)

One of my mates refurbs and will paint wheels any color for £35 a wheel and he doeas a really good job aswel. But its nowhere near birmingham so not really a good help :)

Thanks for your rapid response's,

I am looking to keep the car standard looking I quite like the finish I have at the moment they are not kerbed just numerous chips and now some bubbling around the centre cap.

How long would you need the wheels?

I had one of my standard arosa wheels (same size as your sport wheels) refurbed a while ago now. I paid £40 from a local place called Romax. They did do a good job, you can tell its been refurbed (but if your having the set done then its not an issue) but it does look very good indeed, as the alloy was in quite a mess before.

Mine took one day to do, luckily i have a full size spare so i still had full use of the car.

I waited until i needed new tyres, i got my new tyres fitted then took my wheel for a refurb. Tyre fitters always damage wheels, ime, so i thought id avoid the newly repaired wheel from being damaged for a while :lol:

Although i needed a new pair recently, on that rim and it is not chipped :angry:

You could even go for a grey or white coloured wheels for not much more!

Thank you all for you replies.

I have contacted Lab-tab, not really sure what to do if they need the wheels for too long though. I will ask them about the possiblitilty of powder coating them this time.

The laquer is holding on at the moment but I can see cracks forming and I really hate corroded alloys.

Lap tab can do the wheels in a day - Book before the end of the month and they are offering 255 off, just drive down in the morning (7:30 am) leave the car with them and go and pick it up late that afternoon.

Never used them myself but I have heard really good things about them!

So far I have been quite impressed with Lap Tab they respond to questions very quickly indeed.

The price I have been quoted is just under £300 for all four wheels to be refinished, waxed and to have the tyres removed and replaced.

If I had been a bit more careful with my planning I could have done as Cardaft suggested and had them done before I replaced the tyres as I have only just replaced all four but I have never been that organised.

I just have to organise a day off from work to drop the car in as they do not work wheels on Saturdays and close early on the Friday. They have told me if they have the car early on Friday it will be available for collection on Saturday morning.

Once again thank you all for you help and advice. :D

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Just a quick update, had my wheels refurbished at LabTab last week.

As suggested I had the wheels powder coated in "sparkle" which is pretty close to the original finish.

I was impressed by LabTab and their work is excellent.

Thank you for all your help.

James

• 5 weeks later...

Second update, the finish is now flaking off, took it back to Lab tab in Birmingham at the weekend and they said that the flaking is caused by stone chips(!) and that they will happily refinish them again.

Unfortunately as I work in North Yorkshire getting the wheels to them on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, is going to prove difficult.

What would everyone else do, buy temporary cheap wheels and tryes and leave the wheels with them or give up and buy new wheels?

The place that carried out the work first time said they will cover the cost with the warranty, I am just a little concerned that a little over a month after they were refinished they are flaking, I told them that I understood powdercoating was supposed to be very tough and the guy said well these are peeling because they have stone chips. I doubt it is stone chipping as they are going in several places and I have cover 62,000miles before they were refurbished with only a couple of chips now in about 1000miles they have several but with out sign of any impact! He even suggested that I may have driven over a branch on the motorway ('cos there are so many trees over hanging motorways these days)

I was thinking the same thing as he explained that the valves move so much when the car is in motion that it splits the laquer, I started thinking Powder coating and laquer?! I just stayed quiet 'cos I thought I want them refinished, my brother told him the workmanship was just poor, he responded with no it isn't I have been doing this for 20years!

I decided to try and calm the situation and told him that I have heard great things about his work and that my concern was that I had requested a robust finish and that I did not want the wheels going back monthly, I pointed out that the car is no mistreated and ddoesn't lead a very hard live (Please note NO Rallying!) I told him that the wheels are washed with a sponge and then buffed with Poor Boys which i showed him. He smelt it and said it was probably too harsh, I told him the stuff was highly recommended and the tub said safe for chrome, the response? "well it doesn't say whats is in it".

Eventually we agreed that the wheels will be refinished, but then he told me that I have to get the wheels back to him on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday, I live in Solihull but work about 20miles from York so the logistics is going to be fun, I had thought before having the wheels refurbed that I may be better served buying a new set of wheels, at the time Ebay listed a number of new Starlights but I thought I always liked the Kyalami design I'll keep them, now I am not so sure! Any one got any cheap alloys?

no problem if you have issues getting the wheels to them then pm me

as i go past laptab every monday

:)

cheers

Thank you, I just need to sort some wheels out first.

• 2 months later...

Another Update.

Whilst washing the car today I have found that the re-refininshed wheels are peeling again. The fact that the company has now done this twice leads me to conclude they are not capable of achieving a durable finish. I can not decide what to do now live with the flaking finish or take them back again and listen to more excuses and then have the added prblem of taking another day off work to get the wheels done again.

Am I being unreasonable in expecting powder coating to actually last longer than a few months?! I would not mind but I only decided to get them done as there was a little bubbling around the centre badge and a couple of scratches, by trying to look after it I have made it worse. Really galling when for £15 more I could have hadd a set of new Starlights...NOT HAPPY

:rant::rant:

James

Edited by JB1.0e

Properly applied powdercoat is absolutely rock solid.

I'm in the process of rebuilding a set of shotblasted and powdercoated wheels and i'm having to use 200 grit sand paper

to shift the excess coating, its really that tough.

If its just peeling off something is not right. ;)