New Challenger to the Lupo GTI Crown

Slicknick

QUOTE(zippy)
Well......

All too many of the new cars are MPV/cheese wedge styled, and devoid of any real character, which I believe both the Lupo & even the C2 have plenty of.

Well said zippy, clio is the last of the 'proper' hatch breed as the next one will probably go all funny on us. Seen a lot of 182's around and I like em, new central exhausts improve it a lot.

And want to know which car I'm impressed with at the moment, the Suzuki Ignis Sport, just seen one out of the road not ten minutes ago and despite being a horrid looking car as standard and the bodykit not being the most tastefull either it shifted a fair bit, and thats only got 107 odd bhp. Granted, I know everyone else in the known world will hate this car, and it is ugly, but I'm glad it exists, and it is VERY cheap, and not C2 cheap, I mean Kia cheap. I'll get me coat.

I reacon Evo need to do another hot hatch group test. MINI Cooper, Lupo GTi, C2 VTR (at least until the VTS hopefully arrives), Ignis Sport, Yaris `T-sport` (which lets face it, would get beaten even by the Ignis) and some other cars which I can't quite think of. There was a test like this in Evo some years back and it was one of the best group tests I've ever read in the mag. Punto HGT was praised for its engine but was outclassed in the twisty's by everything, including the Yaris (hurrah, it can do something), MINI was generally excepted as being great, Lupo was well liked, they loved the looks, the build, the engine, but felt there was something missing. The 106 GTi was also praised with being fantastic fun at everything. Ah, them were the days.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the test where they had a duff Lupo though - they clocked the GTI at being `0-60` in 9.8 and `0-100` in something mad like 26 seconds.

And the `central-ish` exhausts on the 182 looks *horrible* - its looks out of place, its contrived and its just plain wrong. The should have left it standard, but instead felt the need to mess. Everyone on the EVO forum agreed with me biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Sorry lads, I love the Loop GTI and I'd have one tomorrow but the Clio 182 is THE supermini right now. Whether popular or not right now, it's light years ahead of the Lupo GTI (and that's just on the road!).

twin pipes on the clio look like they've been stolen off one of those half width micro van things, they are far too small and spoil the look completely. Waiting for a evo hot hatch test soon though. Mine v it's petrol equivalent to see which one they prefer (they will probably say it rides too hard) and then a group test with mine, the clio 182, revised cooper S (7bhp more and new lights), and maybe a civic type r.

Gargoil you naughty, sarcastic boy. I `re-read` my post and then realised it said "right now" twice... oops! Oh well.

I think the Lupo is such a nice car and `build-wise` is probably a lot more solid than the 182, but it's insane having 182 horses in such a small and agile little thing. I keep pestering my GF to get either one of them or at least a 172. I also really like that V6 clio but who could live with 2 seats?

I've got an Audi now (225 S3) and it's already been back a few times. Only with a few minor teething problems, I must add (new door lock, air con etc) and I suppose you get that with any new car. It's a curse I think that whether brand spanking new or just new to you, faults are guarateed when you get a new toy. Glad i got one with warranty left - but it makes me think... German for reliability...? Hehe.

Nowadays brand doesn't seem to tell you much about how well it will fare in reliability stakes, VW has slipped massively over the years and the french cars do seem to get better. Its like anything tho, one C2 could owner could have fault free motoring, another could brake down after a mile. I've had two identical Punto sportings and you may remember that the first was great, fault free, lovely car. The second wouldn't work at all, everything that could go wrong did.

Been for a few drives today, some interesting results. First citroen dealer I went to was useless, utterly useless, I was there for 20 minutes while the three young salesmen listened to the wolves match on the radio, second was much better and I actually quite enjoyed chatting to him, he knew his cars and loved my Lupo! Don't have time to post about it now as I'm on my way out, I'll do it later.

QUOTE(Dave_M)
Gargoil you naughty, sarcastic boy.  I `re-read` my post and then realised it said "right now" twice... oops! Oh well.

LOL!!! I didn't actaually notice I was genuinely agreeing with you, I think the light blue one with the 2 white stripes down the bonnet you see in press photos is amazing looking!!! laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Hey Gargoil, (right now) hehe,

I think autocar love the Clio 182 at the moment, it's never out of there. They rate them very highly. I think it's the one you mean also, with the racing stripes.

A Clio would have been a cheaper option than the S3 for similar performance but I know I have chosen the better car. I will have the Audi for another 18 months or so now, then I want something even faster. It has to be sub 6 secs to 60.

However, I suppose I should start looking into getting a house instead... That would mean settling down with the cars... Loop GTI? Clio 182! We'll have to see what kinda money I have, essentially I want the house, an EVO 330 or Prodrive Scooby STI next, it's just the insurance being under 25.

QUOTE(AndyW)
Nowadays brand doesn't seem to tell you much about how well it will fare in reliability stakes, VW has slipped massively over the years and the french cars do seem to get better. Its like anything tho, one C2 could owner could have fault free motoring, another could brake down after a mile. I've had two identical Punto sportings and you may remember that the first was great, fault free, lovely car. The second wouldn't work at all, everything that could go wrong did.

Been for a few drives today, some interesting results. First citroen dealer I went to was useless, utterly useless, I was there for 20 minutes while the three young salesmen listened to the wolves match on the radio, second was much better and I actually quite enjoyed chatting to him, he knew his cars and loved my Lupo! Don't have time to post about it now as I'm on my way out, I'll do it later.

Come on, tell all.......

twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

QUOTE(Tigz)
Esses, have you a pic of your car mate?

Not online.

Will have to upload it off my digi camera and add as my avatar.

However, hit this (ridiculously long) link and mine is identical to that.

What a beauty..... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> 8)

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...96;3DUTF-8`