1.0L boxes

WanabeGangster

If you do it when you're moving (even slightly) it'll make a racket. I can get away with it making a most a 'chink' if I stop before engaging reverse. You can do it silently by putting it in neutral, raising the clutch, then engaging reverse (with the clutch down, obviously!)

Tis really embarrassing when u crunch into reverse, it feels like everyones looking, I tend to clutch twice and dont have any crunching but i tend to forget when im in a hurry, think its a bit to much hit on miss, although on me cupra i had the same problem at first but seemed it went away when i got a heavy gearknob installed

Used to happen on my old 1.0, even worse was when it 'popped' out of gear and made the most god awful racket when reversing, it always used to happen in busy or quiet strets as well so that all the curtains were twitching!

New gerbox on the Sport is quieter but oh so difficult to get it into reverse at the moment, hoping that is because it is so new.

Best solution is to take your time with it and make sure it is in right before moving as reversing with the stick not set will only make it worse in the future.

Slightly same topic... does anyone else have difficulty getting in to 1st on their 6 speed GTi?

Quite often it feels like it's gone in, but there's an extra notch that either requires a touch more pressure, or to roll forward/backward slightly...

If you don't get in to first properly and try and move off, it pops out and makes an awful crunching sound.

Is it everyone, or should I be on my way to the dealer again?

Mine does that occasionally, but I can tell. If it's bad, the dealer can tweak the shifter alignment - probably best done under warranty though, as I imagine it's relatively labour intensive!

I had it done on my Polo when one day it flat out refused to get out of second gear, resulting in my driving it back 15 miles in in second gear. :roll:

The reason it crunches is cause there's no syncromesh on reverse. That means that it's like an old gearbox and you need to be stopped for it to mesh properly. Just make sure you stop and/or let the car roll a bit first and it should be OK. Incidentally, the reason reverse gear whines is cause it's straight cut like this:

llllllllllllllllllll

as opposed to the forward gears which are cut like this

////////////

Does anyone else find that it's really easy to miss the gear when changing and crash them really badly...or is it just me?!

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to get lasy when changing gear!!

Newer cars r now coming with synchromesh on the reverse gear (subaru started on the 2001 model, so i dont think it will be long before the other manufacter's will follow suite!!

This curtasy car also crunches in reverse, but worse than that, it crunches into second!

This is really embaressing, as you can expect it from reverse, but while drivin it doesnt look good!

At least mine desnt do that, I can cope with reverse.

Its one of them faults that I'll remember the Lupo for.