Mike M's diary (GTI gone but A4 is here)

Mike_M

It was not too bad.....just a case of preping the surfaces and using a good quality paint helps too.

The hardest part was the coin tray that houses my USB port, due to the inside being flocked......but a little extra care in prep once again and it came out fine.

Need to t-cut and wax mine actually to bring up the gloss finish again

Do you mean the ones on the right of the photo:

The right ones are the drop links and the top ones are the doughnuts that secure the drop links to the wishbones.....I would change them all if you are going to do it, as they all have to come off anyway

bush_new.jpg

yeah them ones think il order some today, where do you get all your parts from?

That is a bit of a difference in price.

Only got an identical but un-colour coded Passat rear badge like on my GTI rear and a Kenwood head unit KDC-W3041 which got replaced with my current one.............should be in the forsale area but forgot to check the threads to be honest :rolleyes:

Got a few other things, but they are my spares and future projects :)

Apols for list of Qs and if these have been answered before and i've missed them but;

Could you possibly list all the bushes that you've renewed as i'm thinking of giving the Gti a bit of a refresh in the near future?

Did you do the top mounts as well?

What mileage had yours done when renewing?

How do you find the polybushed wishbones - harsher, any noise, any negatives at all?

Overall would you do it all again for the improvement noticed?

Many thanks in advance.

Apols for list of Qs and if these have been answered before and i've missed them but;

Could you possibly list all the bushes that you've renewed as i'm thinking of giving the Gti a bit of a refresh in the near future? The ARB central, the doughnuts and complete droplinks, wishbone larger rear as the smaller front original is solid (on mine anyway) and not really required to be changed if ok as there is no play when compared to the original larger rears.

Did you do the top mounts as well? No, mine were all fine and have no play.....if there is a gap you can get your finger in then change, but could change for peace of mine with bearings

What mileage had yours done when renewing? About 30k miles was the first time then again at 65k, to give them an once over due to not driving the car much these days

How do you find the polybushed wishbones - harsher, any noise, any negatives at all? My comprimise I found to be a good one and its not any harsher or noisier really. Did a similar thing on my S3 and turbo Mk4 Golf and it worked very well

Overall would you do it all again for the improvement noticed? Yes and the cornering accuracy has been improved loaded by all of it. I would also get a rear ARB from Awesome GTI.......That made another massive difference in handling and finished the car off with the Eibachs(with standard shocks) I have on her too

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Mike_M

very much appreciated thanks. mines on 49k now (2001) and i'd like to invest and freshen things up as it's a keeper. defo going to get the rear arb and do all the bushes. just wondering about other suspension consumables - have you replaced anything else? mine's on KWs by the way.

just wondering on cost to polybush the wishbones and renew all those bushes (won't be doing it myself as totally useless).

Edited by bantam1

Mike your car never sieses to amaze me its a work of art!!

Added some spacers on the rear and moded a Belkin USB charging port into the coin holder above the heater controls.

It turns on and off with the ignition and can charge/power anything USB.........mainly got it to power my HTC and the wifes iPhone.

Will get pics soon :)

this is just awsome!! what were the steps you took to mount this and where did you get it from??

Pics are taken wen it was dark and with a flash, but will take some in normal daylight over the weekend

The Belkin item was converted from a cig lighter insert to a wired version and it outputs 5V @ 1Amp so perfect for any USB device

1.jpg

2.jpg

I also got a retractable micro USB cable for charging purposes and it works a treat as it keeps the cable tidy when not needed......here it is at about 50% of the open length capacity

3.jpg

again awsome work!!

Finished my wheels and came to a bit of a compromise with a satin black finish on the centres:

wheelsblack1.jpg

wheelsblack3.jpg

loving the look of those wheels very smart ;)

Just put the window down, pull out the rubber trim and there are two rivets to drill out and then it pops off.

how is it fitted back though? no more nails? :lol:

sorry if these have been answered already lol

Cheers mate...

Got the belkin USB charger off eBay 1Amp 5V so perfect for a phone and the same output as a mains operated charge due to most cheap version only being half an amp and not enough really, especially if it is being used at the same time as a sat nave for example.

It is originally a cig lighter insert but it never properly sat in it so dismantle and modded it to work via a couple of wires instead of the usual cig lighter contacts.

Filled the top and bottom of the tray insert, drilled a hole and slotted it through.........you also have to cut a notch in the plastic trim behind for everything to slot back in place (used a soldering iron to melt/cut one out :) )

Power is from a switched ignition feed and a usual ground so no power drains when locked up.

Ref Wheels have gone now and wanted a change even after the new paint, having had them about 4 years

Ref 'B' pillar trims.......when putting back on just use some new rivets to reattach........simples!

• 2 weeks later...

She may be going this year depending on how things go and may get another Mk5 Golf/Jetta or a new shape Passat due to the mini-me due in May.......we will see as the Mk5 is used mainly by the wife.

How much will you be selling for? Depending on work, I will be after a GTi by the summer....

• 1 month later...

Took the old wiper stalk off due to the rear wiper coming on more often when I use the front washers, but put this down to wear and tear as on closer inspection the joint looks loose and contacts worn when compared to the new one...........off with the old@

wiper_arm.jpg

but the new one is identical and more solid feeling of that makes sense

Got some new brakes today also............hope to put them on at the weekend if I get time after painting the nursery:

mtec_brakes.jpg