Mike M's diary (GTI gone but A4 is here)

Mike_M

• 2 weeks later...

Had a little spare time after work the last few days so have been doing a couple of bit to the GTI

First I installed the convenience indicator retrofit mod. After getting the Mk5 Golf I finally decided I wanted this function on the Lupo also :lol:

1.jpg

Took the dash apart to gain access to the hazard switch

2.jpg

I do not like cutting wires and prefer the splice in method of shaving some of the sleeve off and then mount the additional wire to that

3.jpg

4.jpg

and then insulating them individually with tape

5.jpg

and then I wrapped them all up in tape again to keep everything smart and secure. I mounted the new relay and stuck that in a hole that seemed suited for in to the right of the heater where the roof aerial lead comes out of.

Put all back together and it works a treat :)

Not bad for about 45min worth of effort.

I also wired up the passengers side alarm LED and converted that to a matching blue one, like what I had done on the drivers side ages ago.

It took me ages to get a photo of the two lit up :lol: and then that was not the best pic........but you get the idea :)

7.jpg

Finally I fitted my modded TT mk1 foot rest that I have had in the garage for 4 years at least........found it again after doing a recent clearout and tidy of the garage, so finished that off and installed it.

6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bought a Mk5 GTi gearknob. Put the knob in my GTI and the gaitor and surround in the the Mk5................no waste :)

mk5_gti_gearknob2.jpg

mk5_gti_gearknob1.jpg

mk5_gti_gearknob3.jpg

Also bought two number 99 relays to be able to program the intermitant wipers, might keep the other as a spare

99relay.jpg

Edited by Mike_M

Nice ride man, just read through all the pages! There was one mod you done which was the tits; bootlid light! How'd you manage this one? You tapped into the courtesy light or something? I think it'd be a decent and worthwhile mod on my Rozzer. Smye

Mike have you fitted the No:99 relay yet??

Do you think it cuts down the number of wipes when you use the wash wipe function? :)

smye87.. You can use the boot switch wire, but it needs a relay and a diode other wise it might mess up the alarm/warning light.

• 2 weeks later...

Managed to get another 2 of the 99 relays and they are in ths for sale section http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71523

I also change the button on the handbrake as mine broke and the black coating was getting worn, so decided to put a chrome one on, as I was never a fan of the black button that the GTI's have.

Had the cambelt and water pump done by a mate at VW on the side so that is all done for another four years and also got him to turn on the alarm activate/de-activate beep notification :)

Changed some more bushes as the GTI has been a little neglected recently

Out with the old:

bush_old.jpg

and in with the new:

bush_new.jpg

bush_new2.jpg

I then had a brain wave and decided to seal the brake light to the spoiler with clear silicone................I should have left things as they were :lol: Took the spoiler off and coresponding nuts and screws, but snapped the red lens when things were not moving and ended with this after I put it all back together. Ordered a new spoiler brake light.............oh well :)

spoiler.jpg

Edited by Mike_M

• 2 months later...

Its been a while since that last update, but all the new bushes work well and the GTI handling has come back to life again :)

The new spoiler brake light was put on her and siliconed in and that looks like new and all works fine now.

Changed the power steering fluid and it looked any colour but the deep green it should have looked like.........so flushed the old stuff out and put some new VW blood in. I may flush it again in a few weeks for peace of mind, we will see!

I bought a new stereo that matches the gloss black trim in the GTI. Its a single DIN Kenwood KDC-W7044U and has my iPod connected too.........Works well and the blue details it has, blends in with the dash nicely plus added the cubby hole for the valuable extra space. Not the best picture as the light was weird, but you get the idea.

Other than that spent a lot of money in the sales on the nursery as the wife and I are expecting a mini me in May :)

kenwood1.jpg

Edited by Mike_M

9.jpg

What work did you do to that to make it so clean?!

Mine's a right mess...looks like all of the fluid containers are goo'd up with stuff and bits and pieces of rust flakes on things. It's a 51 plate but I still want to clear up the engine bay.

I did use some engine de greaser on it but to be honest I think it needs a bit more than that.

Cheers, Ryan

I did not have to do a lot to mine to be honest as when I got her, she was only about 2 years old and over the last 5 odd years of owning it..........general cleaning, but did paint the cam cover in silver high temp paint about three years ago and the heat shield with black BBQ paint as the previous polished finish I had was a pain to keep clean.

Other than that, just general wipe overs as and when really

Do you mean the ones on the right of the photo:

The right ones are the drop links and the top ones are the doughnuts that secure the drop links to the wishbones.....I would change them all if you are going to do it, as they all have to come off anyway

bush_new.jpg

Edited by Mike_M