Mike M's diary (GTI gone but A4 is here)

Mike_M

• 4 weeks later...

Decided to change my wishbone bushes and managed to get a set quite cheap from Halfords for £50 after some discount was given as they were starting to fail.

1.jpg

All I will say is that not all went smoothly laugh.gif

Took one side off and as removing the lower ball joint all three bolts sheared off after being rusted in, so now I had to attack the other side to make sure I get all parts I was not expecting to replace in one go due to borrowing the wifes car.

Then the hunt began to get the parts as no one had all of them in one place........so it was a bit of bouncing here and there to get them all.

2.jpg

Luckily everything else released with ease, but getting the wishbones out was a mission.

Once out I decided to keep the smaller front bushes in the wishbone as they were very solid and with no wear showing, but the larger rear ones looked worn and one was actualy 50% split........so after an attack with a hacksaw and mallet they came out.

3.jpg

Pressed in the new poly items with my vice while using soap and not the grease as lube and they popped in quite easily........then with some more soap on the bushes and wishbone spent a while sloting the buggers back onto the car.

4.jpg

Put it all back together and took for a drive and its amazing how much more responsive the steering is now.....needs a little getting used to now.

Will be returning the smaller front bushes soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Well been busy this weekend but managed to squeeze in a genuine VW iPod adapter kit (1K0 051 444) in the GTI and that workd great, but had to remove my 6 disc changer and also the single one to operate correctly.......but thats not an issue as hardly use a CD these days.

I had also got some Lamin-x Subtle tint for the front lights and proceeded to fit that.

Excuse the photo quality as its my mobile phone:

Undid the front bumper so that I could slide it forward a couple of inches for access:

1.JPG

2.JPG

Cleaned each light with soap and then cut the film into the sections for each before starting to apply it all:

3.JPG

4.JPG

First one trimmed up and finished and think the colour is just right concidering its the lightest tint they have........other than clear

5.JPG

Next one etc etc:

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Tomorrow I just need to put the bumper back on and its all done :)

I got the 12" x 28" Subtle tint @ £24.99 + £2.49 first class delivery but got a 10% discount so the postage came free in the end.

This was the perfect amount to do the front of the GTI and it is a weird material as quite thick and rubber like in texture.

Will post some updated pics tomorrow when its all back together.

Cheers all.

I have always wanted the darker look headlights after having the Golf Anni ones as it gives a look I like but can't describe........this was the only alternative after knowing the GTI units can't be split like the normal Lupo ones.

The Lamin-x is really good stuff and also protects the light units from stone chips etc like if not better than the plastic guards you can buy.

Would recommend it, even the clear version just to protect the expensive xenon units!

• 2 weeks later...

Can you or others with a GTI check where these bolts on the rear beam are?

as I dont seem to have the mentioned bolts on the beam the ARB connects to like in the Awesome pics:

gti-bolt-gap.jpg

and here is mine........three holes in the centre with some kind of bush in the back of the beam with the original GTI bar, but no bolts

5.jpg

Edited by Mike_M