Modding the Standard Airbox

Scottish_Sport_16V

Ye i'm not talking about drilling the box, more talking about improving the airflow within the box.

Have you given your filter a good clean? If it hasn't been cleaned in a while then clearing some crap out could improve airflow, possibly relocating the air feed is an option too?

i'd be careful of smoothing the airbox. You want a certain degree of turbulance in the air stream to give good mixing of the fuel air mixture within the engine. Hence why performance filters often include a part which works to put the air into a cyclonic action.

Certainly a performance filter on the standard airbox can't do much harm though. I doubt there would be much of a gain though.

"Replacing the original air feed pipe with one that goes direct from the front grille to the airbox would be best, But of course you may be limited by access to the front grille itself."

^^^ personally for me, that would be the option that I reckon would give the best performance gains. The increased velocity of air into the engine would help matters.

I have uprated the air feed to the airbox from the lower bunper intake with a 75mm hose.......smoothed the inside of the airbox and also drilled a small section of it with another cold air feed from the grill and this works well for me

Edited by mike_m

Yes.

I have my main intake from my lower left intake of the bumper and the grill intake has a feed to the aera where I have drilled a part of my spare airbox

Have you noticed that there is a noticable amount more of dirt and general crap coming from the grille intake then? I was thinking about relocating the air feed but i don't know if the risks are worth the gains

Air at Grille level is slightly colder than it is at, say shin height. So in ways of performance, the upper radiator grille would be the best place to have a cold air feed, also this should help keep the length of the feed down to a minimum which can also help.

Noticed a lot more crap coming from the grill air feed to my filter compared to the other one lower down

In the form of Flies etc ? I noticed that with the bora, the airbox was packed full of dead bees, wasps, flies etc.

More like dust/muck in the box and on the filter where that feed goes to on 1/3 of the filter. The other 2/3 of the filter where the main intake is with my uprated intake hoses is much cleaner, even if it is longer. I could be a combination of things, but since adding the grill feed the filter is much more dirty than before

I'm thinking the same thing, modifying my airbox i'm just going to remove the oil feed pipe thing thats in there and grind out the ribs that go accross the lid, that should be all thats needed!

as for dust getting in from the grill its not worth even worying about! thats the point of the filter!!!!

There is a trumpet in the airbox which you can remove by undoing two screws and two clips.

Not sure of its purpose but i do know that VW have used these trumpet thingys in other cars eg G40, to restrict them and cut down on induction noise.

I didnt notice an increse in noise but it did seem a little more responsive, it may be related but i did have a good tinkering and cleaning session so may not be related. :unsure: