new mascot for the gti

Dark

well its not specifically for the lupo its for anyone, but i called it for the lupo as its a wolf and seems perfect. maybe its to do with wolfsburg aswell? or just a nice toy..

anyway i have one sitting in the front dash cubbyhole now with a smile on its face.

Lupo means Wolf in german/latin .. which was a name given because of the connection with Wolfsburg (VW HQ). Breaking the tradition to name VW cars after winds. Golf - german for the gulf stream. etc...

Wolfy probably has a similar connection with Wolfsberg.

Lupo means Wolf in german/latin .. which was a name given because of the connection with Wolfsburg (VW HQ). Breaking the tradition to name VW cars after winds. Golf - german for the gulf stream. etc...

Wolfy probably has a similar connection with Wolfsberg.

thats al well and good, but....

golf caddy

golf driver

golf match

im thinkin small white balls?

Neither would I if I didn't have this assignment to do on something completely unrelated!

Well, I knew most of them were named after winds, I didn't know which wind each one was. Saying that, I still don't. :lol:

Only applies to Watercooled VW's. Beetles were never officially known as a "Beetle" it was just a nickname that stuck.

Type1 - "beetle"

Type2 - camper / transporter

Type3 - Squareback / Notchback / Fastback

Type4 - 2/4 door saloon /estate replaced by the K70.

Scirocco- Hot North African desert wind that blows into Italy

Original name was rumored to be Blizzard.

Golf - Gulf stream winds (a high altitude North-south 100 mmph wind)

Jetta - Jet stream (East/West wind, affecting Pacific air travel)

Passat - Trade winds

Vento - Blowing/windy (E/I)

Polo - The Polo name has been a source of speculation. Some people believed it was a reference to polar winds, in keeping with Volkswagen's penchant for naming its watercooled cars after winds and currents, but many fans insist that it is in fact a pun on the Golf's name, because "golf" and "polo" are both words (in both English and German) for upper-class sports. The fact that the Polo's original saloon derivative was named the Derby gives more credence to the latter theory, since derby, like polo, refers to an equestrian sport.

Santana - Hot desert blast accross the Sea of Cortez.

Corrado - Not a wind, it's derived from Spanish Correr which means to run. The original name for the car was Taifun (Typhoon) which means huricane except it was already a registered trade mark for a GM truck.

Edited by Chris-W

a little correction a hurricane is different from a typhoon.

typhoon:

• noun a tropical storm in the region of the Indian or western Pacific oceans.

— ORIGIN partly from Arabic, partly from a Chinese dialect word meaning ‘big wind’.

we can get hurricanes in Europe but not typhoons.

unless its an aircraft.

• 4 years later...