How to make wiper motor open boot???

Jazz-Loop

Right folks getting the lupo's boot is soon going to be getting smoothed but does any of you how to link up the rear wiper motor to open the boot?

Also how much did you guys pay to get your boot smoothed? As i've been quoted £200 but not got any other prices to way it up with.

Thanks

Edited by Jazz-Loop

I'm pretty sure that it isn't the wiper motor that opens the boot - you'd need to fit a 'boot popper' when you smooth it, and then its just the switch that turns on the wiper motor thats used to activate it and open the boot :)

Oh right, so just wire the boot poper through the rear wiper motor?

Yes, get a boot popper kit and wire it from the rear wiper supply, i assume you are doing away with the rear wiper.

So every time you operate the rear wiper switch the boot will open, amazing :P

£200 is proably about right for smoothing and painting.

run the wires through to the underside of your steering wheel, remove the palstic cowling to reveal a red plug with red and black wire, these go to the depress switch at the stalk end for rear wipe wash, my popper is activated from this.

• 1 year later...

You can, but the wire may not give enough juice to pull the solinoid. Use that wire to switch a relay with a power feed from the battery, also, if you leave it on, the solinoid will burn out.

The wiper motor feed is also ignition fed, so you need to turn on the ignition to open the boot.

im also going to be getting a boot popper, was just wondering what kits you lot use?

i see them on ebay and that but people say there S*** and dont open the boot properly, are there any good websites which sell everything needed for a decent instalation?

:)

• 2 months later...

Im stunned no one has ever done that, then opened the boot at 80MPH :lol:

hey guys, iv only just come across this thread but thought id post because it could help someone. if people are wanting to use there rear wiper switch as a switch 4 there boot solinoid, but are worried about opening it while they are driving by accidently pressing the button, there is a simple way to wire it in so it only works while the engine is off.

if you run it through a relay it possible to get it to work while the engine is off but not work when the engine is running. we are going to use a 30amp change-over relay for this.

what you need to do is tap in to the wiring for the rear wiper switch. run this to number 30 on your relay, then out of number 87a run a wire to your solinoid, or to your next relay if you are using a relay for your solinoid. put no wires onto number 87. this will then be a constant feed through the relay when it is in its un-energised state. if you want to cut of this feed, so that it doesnt work when you turn your engine on then you need to energise the relAY. to do this, you need to run a wire from 86 to an earth point (any part of the chassis or metal fixture) and then run a wire from 85 to an engine run wire (only current when engine is running) this will then energise the relay when the engine is running and cut off any current to the boot solinoid popper. i cant help you with finding a engine run wire as i have never had my lupo apart and worked on it, but there will be one to pick up on somewhere under the dash. if not, a simpler option to finding a engine run wire if you have no multimeter is using a feed off alternator positive to 85.

so when the engine is off, the current is flowing from the wiper switch to the boot solinoid and opens the boot, but when the engine is running, the relay is energised and cuts off current to the solinoid, preventing any accidental boot openings at 70mph.

hope that makes sense, if not i can do you a diagram. i just hope that it helps someone out lol

rich

• Like 1

Using the rear wiper switch to pop the boot open will fail the MOT. It will be classed as a defective switch. ie it is meant to be a wiper action but results in opening the boot which it shouldnt do.

Just use the wires that run to the rear wiper, cut them in the column and connect them to a constant 12v+. Even better would be to connect them to a remote kit so you can open the boot without having to mess around getting in to the car and putting the key in just to open the boot.

A cheaper way to open the boot is to use an aftermarket central locking soleniod.