What a good week im having!

CasperGTI

Well, here i am reversing out of my drive this morning and look what happens:

P1030188.jpg

P1030187.jpg

P1030186.jpg

P1030185.jpg

The bloke driving, was driving too fast, probably 40-60 in a the 30 zone, This is what he could see, The silver car is about where my car was, but sideways as i was reversing out opposite the wooden fence (fence of our drive):

P1030190.jpg

I dont know what he was doing, but he didnt see me what so ever, i know its a black car, but all my lights were on inc hazards, call me over cautious, but my dog was knocked over and killed on saturday in the same palce, speeding C**t in a nova, so i dont want it to happen to me too.

This is what i can see (cobbled bit is my driveway):

P1030193.jpg

So anyway, i reverse out, am just changing to first and these headlights appear from round the corner. I think yeah hes seen me, but hes going a bit quick!... anyway, he draws closer, and still didnt slow down (could have been on the phone, I dont know). So he gets within about 10 metres of me, and then, the tyre squeech come in..... too late, i jumped forwards on the clutch, but not enough for him to miss me, rather than hitting me side on, he hits the rear quarter. (not a nice place to hit). He stopped 20 metres down the road, and left his bumper behind.

Got all his details, and already pending with insurance companies. It looks a bit of an expensive repair though.

Had a route around myself and its appart from the obvious. The dent on the wing goes up to 6 inches in front of the middle of the fuel cap cover. Theres a dent half way up the pillar, god only knows what hit up there! The alloy is cracked, the tyre has a 4 inch gash in it. The bumper attatchemnt points have been ripped off, the rear light mounts have been pulled from there socket on the panelwork. Underneath, it looks like the rear damper is bent, all the wheel well trim has snapped, the insulation is all ripped. But other than that i cant see any other visual damage. (havent had a good look yet)

What im really worried about is the suspension, the rear beam and the brake.. thank god i hadnt put my new brakes on yet! I have a horible feeling the rear axle could be bent, bushes damaged and the rear beam pushed over to the left. I havent yet jacked it up to tell, im still too pissed off!

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated, its a car in the end of the day and it can be fixed. Thats what you have insurance for! plus no one was hurt, and id rather it happen to me than my mum or my girlfriend, if it did i think i would have pulled the guy out of the car and jumped on his head, i dont take kindly to speeding in residential areas, and this has happened at exactly the wrong time.

I tell you what though, i dint get a picture of his car, but the lupo bit him hard! Front end damage always looks worse. ahhahaha

And the ironic thing is, I found out he works for mclaren's race team, so knows all about this stopping distance speed thing, And has realised the damage hes done too!

John

Ouch! It looks nasty mate, good job you did lift the clutch or a full on side impact could have been a lot a worse. Like you say though, better you than your mam or girlfriend and at the end of the day as long as you are ok, the car can be fixed or replaced.

Looking at those pics, i really dont know how he hit you, he musnt have been concentrating.

at the end of the day as long as you are ok, the car can be fixed or replaced.

Exactly, I dont want it replaced..... I love it.

Looking at those pics, i really dont know how he hit you, he musnt have been concentrating.

Tell me about it, he said to me he was dazed by the lights...... so he did see me, just didnt stop! strange

Thats the only thing he has in defence. Yes your correct, but im not sure if this road is classed as a "major raod"

But then again, whats worse? reversing out of your house cautiosuly, much like a three point turn.... or braking the speed limit in a residential area?

John

That really sucks! Hoefully you won't get any grief from his insurers!

I know it doesn't excuse anything, but how many of us can honestly say that we are doing what the limit sign says when we pass it? I know it's a 30 there, but if it's national limit before, I certainly don't slow down before the sign all the time, especially if there's a bend before the signs, I tend to think slowing down slowly is less dangerous than emergency braking to make the limit.

There is no need to emergency brake to make the limit, or to still be speeding passed the limit because you are still slowing down gradually. Start slowing down gradually a bit earlier - not rocket science!

Where I used to live there is a school just after the 30 limit starts. I have seen/known of too many people being run down there (my mum was accused of one of them and it wasn't her!) to even consider not slowing down enough before the limit starts.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Casper, hope it all gets sorted out quickly enough for you.

Edited by Linz

Just had the car up in the air, had a good look under. It all looks pretty normal, definatly need, new rear quarter panel, new arch lining, new rear bumper and then a respray. One wheel does look slightly further in than the other, definatly closer to the inside of the arch lining on one side. but i can't see any bending on the rear beam to sudjest that it is.

I live in hope, untill it gets its geometry/alignments checked then ill nerer know.

I certainly don't slow down before the sign all the time, especially if there's a bend before the signs, I tend to think slowing down slowly is less dangerous than emergency braking to make the limit.

See what you mean, but at the end of the day, in the eyes of the law, thats speeding and illegal. So if you were the driver.... You would have been at fault and ultimatly would have just accepted responsability?

John

There is no need to emergency brake to make the limit, or to still be speeding passed the limit because you are still slowing down gradually. Start slowing down gradually a bit earlier - not rocket science!

Well thats obvious, but its not what I'm saying.

If there is a corner before the signs (and that looks like a country road so its likely), they might not be visible in time to slow down if you aren't familiar with the road.

Edited by TomLS

they might not be visible in time to slow down if you aren't farmiliar with the road.

If your not familiar with the road, than why the hell are you doing 60 or more down it, surely thats an accident waiting to happen?

And yes my road does got from 60 down to 30, but if people did what you say you do there, there going past my house ay about 50mph! and thats what killed my dog on saturday!

What if it was a child? - its 30 for a reason

In this case, he knew the road and uses it as a shortcut off the main A road to work. Was just too fast and want paing attention.

Im happy it wont be comming out of my pocket. Thats a good few grand in VW's eyes :blink:

What annoys me is im sat at home and cant get to work!

I only get 3 days under these circumstances, and im under 25 so car rental is crazy!

Lets jsut hope its a fast recovery for Hanz.....

Edited by Casper1496

thats such a shame, i feel for you mate.

at the end of the day speed limits are there for a reason, break them and face the consiquences. its that simple.

i agree that everyone speeds, but not everyone speeds in areas where they should be taking extra care. ie: a built up area.

i hope everything goes through without too much hassle!

That looks a bit nasty!

I doubt they will have much of a case against you not reversing in your drive though, you would cause just as much hassle on the road with people stopping to let you reverse in that you do reversing out of it, and it seems he had plenty of time to see you.

Good luck getting it sorted out, hope its back to new soon and without any hassle. :)

Well, ive been on the phone to the clims manager in charge of my case, he has looked at the photos of the road, of the car, the positions, drawings sketches and statements. And he believes that they will win the claim and the driver of the other car is liable.

So looks like ill be paying Driftbridge VW a visit very soon!

Edited by Casper1496

No marks from his tyres sadly.

It looks like its in my favour, Yes its against the law to reverse out of a driveway. But i was well clear of the driveway, and in the middle of the road in clear view.

Much like if someone was doing a three point turn.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been a week of ups and downs when it comes to the insurance. Firstly i was assured that i would win, then told later that i would have to accept liability, which i replied no!

Now, it works out that my insurance company cannot get any details out of the other drivers insurance company (norwich union direct) and its also based in india, whihc makes it very hard for any information to be legible or understandable. what a poor company!

Anyway, norwich unions policy is if a company approach them, deny it untill proven, even if they know that there driver is at fault. Sadly, you cannot prove speeding or driving without due care of attention with no evidence!

So its going to take a while for the companys to sort this out. Meanwhile, my car is on its way to be repired its gone to motorworld in portsmouth. Luckly because ther car has held its value, its repairable. I think they mentioned suspension work :wacko:

All my insurance company need is a statement from the other party, and it can be all sorted out. Ive lost my no claims untill they get there money back for the repair.

Just hope they win it now!

Word of warning, never use norwich union direct. They insure Tesco, RAC and one other company too.

John

Edited by Casper1496

Sorry to hear the faff you're having. At least the Loop is being fixed though, I wondered if it might be written off being hit where it was - rear quarter, and all the various suspension and other connecty stuff behind there....

Personally I'd never use NU, not after the pure comedy quote they gave me - I might again ring this year just to laugh at what they come up with. :lol:

Yeah im lucky there i think! As long as its fixed i dont care, and fixed well. Ill pick it to peices and wont accept it if its not good!

Lets just hope that it all gets sorted out and i win my case. Then ill be a happy person!

John