Buying a cheap laptop

Cliveski

I'm looking at buying a laptop for under £400 and think I have got it down to one of these:

Hewlett-Packard 530

Lenovo N200

Lenovo ThinkPad R61i

Anyone have any input on which might be more relaible? also is Vista much better than XP or not?

to be honest i had a ibm from back in the day windows 95 in fact. after a few other i got a hewlett packard, that was in may last year.

the screen went wrong, the fan in the tower went, then the thing shut down and stopped working. went back to the ibm from 10 years ago and it still works.

so i would stay clear of hewlett packard mate imo

I, in Sept, bought 10 x HP 530 and 25 x Lenovo 3000 N200/C200 at work.

I feel that the Lenovos are a better spec'd machine than the HPs.

HPs are a bit tidier to look at.

Can't remember the chipset no's and I'm not back at work until 14 Jan, but from what I remember the Lenovos are a higher spec chipset and came with a DVD-burner.

Sorry, not much help, but my guys who build and look after the fleet, prefer the Lenovos.

Ray

Out of the 530 and N200 I can see on the BT site for those prices:

The HP has a slightly better processor, but the Lenovo willl take more 3gb of RAM as opposed to 2gb for the HP.

The HP only comes with a 4 cell 32wh battery which will get eaten up when running. The Lenovo has a 6 cell (usually 56wh).

The Lenovo has an nVidia graphics card with what looks like 256mb of dedicated RAM, whereas the HP has an Intel graphics and dynamically shares system memory.

Other than that they are pretty much equal.

I would go for the Lenovo myself.

Save up a bit more and get a macbook..... :coffee:

:tumbleweed:

i agree, or do what my friend just did, he got a 2nd hand new ibook. with 2 batteries and carry case for £400

My 1.5 G4 is old but I use it everyday and it's never once gone wrong, same with my 12 inch G4 which is a little dented but easily 4 years old!

Dell.

My family has five desktops and three laptops, all Dell. They're so good we recommended a friend to buy one, and he bought two!

Never any problems.

Awesome Laptops for around £339, 2GB, 1.7GHz Intel CoreDuo.

Dell Laptops

And you get £50 off until January the 9th!

Edited by Lukus 9N

That's why we've moved from to HP in the office.

Good choice! Make sure you register your Care packs and Serial numbers with the Upfront Registration Team in Bracknell head office please!! :lol:

Dell all the way, never had one of there laptops but...

i have a dell, my bro has one, we have one downstairs, my dad has 2 at work and they are great

mine has never crashed or had any probs in 3 years, upgraded the ram year ago and its still great

but they can be expensive to buy

If your looking for a laptop in the 5-600 pound range i would fork out an extra few pounds and buy a basic alienware laptop, they look nuts, are fast and are well made! Dell is the best way to get a good cheap laptop ( from 200 quid if you buy through a company!).keep in mind alienware is owned by dell so prices may be around the same.

sonycentre are doing vaio with 2gb ram for under £500 just now which is a great price. Not the fastest processor but probably the nicest sub £500 laptop out there at the moment (the dollar exchange rate is probably hitting prices just now making them more expensive than the last time I looked.)

https://www.sonystyle-europe.com/SonyStyle/...a_sel_acc=)/.do

if you can do with xp instead of vista this dell is a good price.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/prod...~brand~dell.htm

Edited by Crusoe

if you can do with xp instead of vista this dell is a good price.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/prod...~brand~dell.htm

That's weird, Dell does not sell products through other companies, unlike every other computer manufacturer. That's what makes them cheaper, it's always direct from Dell.

I'm sure that Empire Direct aren't allowed to sell that laptop.