driveforward

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

did i see that you have used gti doors?

if so how much weigh did you save by doing it?

~20 KG's I reckon - but most importantly it's from the right place :)

Awesome wee car, first time Ive read this :)

How much did it cost you in total roughly to go to the ring ? I fancy doing it next year some time.

A normal, 'less hardcore' budget for a trip is in the region of £6-700

what was the maximum speed you got upto on the ring,i wanna take mine there soon as i wanna track the car,its the 1.4tdi and i have never seen one on a track,but if i can get to about the same speed as the petrols i think ill have some fun,i know the ring isnt all about speed but it would be good to see what kind of time i could set

are you from the midlands by the way?

Edited by richardn

Sounds like you've been having a good time. What is your best lap time then?

A few stats: over the trip the Arosa racked up 1,842 miles, drank 1 litre of oil (read: spat it out of the exhaust), and guzzled over £360's worth of super unleaded :blink:

Works out at about 23/24 mpg. :o

what was the maximum speed you got upto on the ring,i wanna take mine there soon as i wanna track the car,its the 1.4tdi and i have never seen one on a track,but if i can get to about the same speed as the petrols i think ill have some fun,i know the ring isnt all about speed but it would be good to see what kind of time i could set

If you get it remapped and a full decatted exhaust then you'll be hitting the top speed everywhere.

110 mph (GPS) At a wild guess :ph34r:

Dude the ring is regarded as the ultimate track test with well over 100 corners, think its 170 something. It takes hundreds of laps and lots of driving experience to get good times. I wouldn't be going out there to try to set any record lap times, as besides the fact its illegal you really don't want to be pushing hard until you know the track well as its very costly if it goes wrong.

Id go out their to have fun and rack up several scenic laps, don't worry about times as they will be irrelevant and who cares if your tdi isn't as fast as a petrol.:)

Sounds like you've been having a good time. What is your best lap time then?

Works out at about 23/24 mpg. :o

It may be a bit better than that given fuel costs ~£1.25 per litre in Europe at the mo! :(

Dude the ring is regarded as the ultimate track test with well over 100 corners, think its 170 something. It takes hundreds of laps and lots of driving experience to get good times. I wouldn't be going out there to try to set any record lap times, as besides the fact its illegal you really don't want to be pushing hard until you know the track well as its very costly if it goes wrong.

Id go out their to have fun and rack up several scenic laps, don't worry about times as they will be irrelevant and who cares if your tdi isn't as fast as a petrol.:)

Very, very wise words. Please heed them ;)

"However" if there hasn't ever been a 3 pot derv driven around there then whatever time you get would be a record :o Well, maybe?

Rest assured, hundreds of 3-pot TDI's will have been there.. my A2 for one (twice!).

It may be a bit better than that given fuel costs ~£1.25 per litre in Europe at the mo! :(

My bad. I worked it to £1 = 1L. So it'll be about 30MPG then. Not bad going.

Rest assured, hundreds of 3-pot TDI's will have been there.. my A2 for one (twice!).

How many time have you been round the Ring then?

I'm wanting to go next year if all goes to plan this year.

i am very familiar with the reputation of the nurburgring,i didnt say i wanted to set any record lap times,i simply said bout keeping up with a lupo/arosa,theres no reason why a diesel couldnt set a similar time as a petrol

My bad. I worked it to £1 = 1L. So it'll be about 30MPG then. Not bad going.

How many time have you been round the Ring then?

I'm wanting to go next year if all goes to plan this year.

Been going since 2005, done 228 laps in total to date over 8 or so trips :)

Awesome, higher power to weight then a stock GTI there.

Where did you get the dials from on the center console? I love stuff like that

The dials are VDO ones, mine are from Demon Tweeks but they sell them at loads of stockists :)

are you from stourbridge?,just saw a post by you on another site,if you are could i pop down one of the days and have a beeter look at the car as i wanna do the same to mine

Yup, I'm in Stourbridge.. you'll have to wait until August now though as the car will be in Germany until then B)

Update Following May 'Ring Trip

Here's the latest instalment to the story, following the second trip of 2009!

First up, the essential stats.. The Arosa racked up 1112.6 miles on this trip (it's still in Germany to save tyre wear, fuel and in readiness for the next trip!) taking the car's total mileage to 43164. Over the 5 days, I racked up a further 48 laps to the 67 from Easter, making this years total currently 115 laps

Some of these laps included excellent, close, 'nothing in it' laps with Dale (instructor at RSRNurburg) in his MX-5, and a German guy who was peddling (very well!) his TDI 170 A4 Avant.. tremendously enjoyable lapping and post-lap conversation! There will be re-matches on both fronts in future...

The trip ended with a change of front discs and pads, ready for the next trip.. I'll also be taking out a new set of front tyres :P

Whilst taking a break in the new 'Devils Diner', imagine my surprise to notice my Arosa being featured within the continuously looping footage of the Easter Touristenfahrten sessions.. See the link below at approximately 9mins 50s and again at 12mins 18s - Now being watched by 'ringers time and time again [B)]

http://de.sevenload.com/videos/Q0zTgaJ-Carfriday-2009

Finally, I thought I'd post up a selection of pics from both my Easter and May trips.. enjoy:

ring2009_apr_may1.jpg

ring2009_apr_may2.jpg

ring2009_apr_may3.jpg

ring2009_apr_may4.jpg

ring2009_apr_may5.jpg

ring2009_apr_may6.jpg

ring2009_apr_may7.jpg

ring2009_apr_may8.jpg

Edited by driveforward

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this from start to finish, absolutely amazing!

The pictures of your "Phase 2" finished after the wash is opposite my college, park there daily haha

As everone says, I'd love to do this some time in the future, doubt I'll ever get around to it though.

As I said, amazing, I take my hat off to you and look forward to more updates SOON :)

Awesome read as always. :shades:

B) Thanking you!

Just read this from start to finish, absolutely amazing!

The pictures of your "Phase 2" finished after the wash is opposite my college, park there daily haha

As everone says, I'd love to do this some time in the future, doubt I'll ever get around to it though.

As I said, amazing, I take my hat off to you and look forward to more updates SOON :)

Glad you like, the college you speak of is my old college :P

some nice pics again. that looks like burgstube car park! is that where you stayed?

Lo again, yup I always stay at the Burgstube now.. is that where you stayed last weekend? If so, you weren't very far from my Arosa... ;)