Suit buying

Putney

Not to in the know about suits so any input is a help.Ok Budget £800 and under. When is a good time to buy one? I need one byJanuary the 12th and I want it fitted.Makes, brands, colour, taylors: advice needed on all. I am wanting the suit for my wifes graduation but I also think its time to have one for smart occasions etc.

also need Shoes, shirt and cuffs!

Thanks in advance

Edited by Putney

£800 gets you into the cheapest fitted suits, might be better with somethign nice off the peg for slightly less or get a taylor to alter somethign specifically for you once you've bought it. Need a taylored shirt to go with the suit too :-)

know a few people who get theirs made in asia and shipped over. Bound to be places you can put all your measurement details into the web adn get them to send the suit back. Buying prescription glasses this way is getting more popular two, especially for more expensive gradual quad focal type things.

as a footnote i've got two one of which was bespoke but neither fit me any more and couldnt' really be adjusted. Bespoke is nice but £500 gets a nice off the peg one if you go to somewhere that has a huge selection you are bound to find something that fits almost perfectly.

as a footnote i've got two one of which was bespoke but neither fit me any more and couldnt' really be adjusted. Bespoke is nice but £500 gets a nice off the peg one if you go to somewhere that has a huge selection you are bound to find something that fits almost perfectly.

What he said^^^

Wouldnt spend too much on a suit, unless i was going to wear it everyday for business. Also styles go out of fashion, id rather have a cheap suit that looks good rather than an expensive one that is out of fashion.

for a nice bespoke suit made in the uk with a couple of shirts made to measure you really need £1500 TBO.

£150-200 on a bespoke shirt is a better way to spend the money and get a nice designer suit for £400-500. 800 would probably get you into Armani and Hugo Boss if that's yoru thing though there are much cheaper designer names that make equally good suits.

I find it hard to get shirts that fit off the shelf (quite skinny now with short stubby arms but i still have a 17 1/2 neck, usually have to role up the sleves on all of my normal smart shirts.)

you want a nice pair of loakes or churches brogues for your shoes, £80-140 but they last a lifetime, had mine 15 years and only re-soled once but polish up like brand new. Eveyone should ave a pair of black and brown brogues

http://www.petersshoes.com/acatalog/Buy_En...ake_641_47.html

Edited by Crusoe

going for a bespoke suit is like buying an aston martin, you could have one for the sticker price in the window but once you get in the door you'll start adding extras going for the matching trim, larger wheels, leather dash with matchign roof lining.

for your one off suit you'll want the nice silk lining, a more expensive cloth, nicer buttons, matching threads, half lined trousers etc.

Edited by Crusoe

agree, only way to get somethign decent within budget is to get it from the far east. Might be worth having a look for taylors when you are out in Qatar, bound to be an english taylor there somewhere who'll knock you up something on the cheap.

Boss suits from around £450 I think. I vaguely remember that Selfridges sell 'nearly ready to wear' designer suits that just need nipping in here and there for the buyer. The New Year sales usually have loads of them, although time may present a problem on that one.

I have a Ted Baker Endurance Mk2.

£300 goes great for smart and formal - Good all rounder with nice style and feel and crease resistant.

The MK3 is now out.

I also have a Next suit which is the same style and I wear if needed for work. Also done me very well.

I would only pay big bucks on a suit if I intended to wear it a lot whilst it was in fashion.

IMO Black is the colour to go for as it'll be suitable for any function.

Easy to wear - easy to look after is what you need!

Ray