BRAKE FLUID?

smallredlupo

Hi folks,

Although VW explicitly states that the brake fluid needs changing every 2 years, I haven't had mine done in longer than I can remember.

I was asking my mechanic about it and he said "It's just a way of car manufacturers sucking money out of ya, I wouldn't worry too much."

Is that so???

I was thinking buying the brake fluid at the local vw and have it changed at a local garage.

So how much brake fluid should I buy in quantity if I wanted to do it this way?

And I saw the other day that it costs 49.99 to have it changed at the local vw.

If you were me, would you have it done at the local vw or at a local garage providing your own brake fluid?

Thanks,

lupogirl

you could try askin around to see how much they would charge. tho i think a local garage would be cheaper. just a suggestion.

Well, "according to" the lupo manual: Brake fluid absobs moisture. In the course of time it takes water from the ambient air. Too high a content of water in the brake fluid can in time cause corrosion damage in the sysem and the boiling point of the brake fluid is reduced considerably. Furthermore, when the brake fluid becomes too old, vapour bubbles can form in the brake system when the brakes are used hard. The efficiency of the brakes and the vehicle safty is seriously affect. For these reasons the brake fluid must be renewed every two years.

The texts above are from the manual.

I haven't had mine changed in three and half years now... so I'm a little bit concerned since the handbook says it MUST be renewed every 2 years......

lupogirl

Why does it need to be changed every 2 years? What happens if you don't?

I dont think mine has ever been changed, i looked in the service book earlier, and although its got full SEAT service history, its never been ticked in the book.

Its quite a dark colour too, its also the clutch fluid on TDis isnt it.

Ive been yholding off until i get new brake discs and pads, so ill get it changed then.

Would old brake fluid make the brakes fade earlier than they should do?

They faded quite badly after some hard driving a few months ago and they have never felt quite as sensitive since then really.

Funny I should stumble across this thread as I'm thinking of having my Lupo's brake fluid changed.

TBH, Lupo brakes are ****, so I recently changed my front brakes to Tar-ox drilled and grooved discs and Mintex Extreme pads. Initially I found them to be a lot better but I'm not experiencing the big 'bite' difference I thought there'd be and there's still a lot of fade. So next in line is either fluid change or braided hoses and fluid.

Does anyone know where I can get a braided hose set for a 1.4S?

Cheers,

Rob.

yes old brake fluid will boil earlier due to water getting into the system then they feel very spongy

Oh right, well ill have to get it changed then.

I carnt really fault the brakes on my car, they are quite sensitive and they do have a bit of a bite to them but not as much as they did do.

Although ive been in a 1.4 petrol and they seemed a bit weak compared to my TDi's brakes.

The only problem really is under hard driving they fade quite early, or i think its early and i tend to be hard on brakes anyway, but thats probably due to the fluid then.

I need some new disks and pads on my chris next thing to do on the list

Yep me too, they are looking a bit thin laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Ive not decided if im replacing the discs too, they arnt too bad but pads are defo down.

I only do about 3000 miles a year in the GTi. But I change the brake fluid once a year, because when I use the car its brakes are pushed to the limits.