Phone & Internet

bjblyth

Right, BT has decided that £100 a month for a service they can't give is a reasonable price to charge.

We are supposed to get a BT Homehub & Soft phone.

Do we heck.

We have the old voyager router because homehub and softphones apparently dont work round here, despite my wireless picking up a neighbours homehub blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

anyway i just wondered what everyone else does for their phone & broadband as i am dying to change.

i quite fancy www.bethere.co.uk for broadband (unlimited up to 24meg is £24 a month)

but then how would my phone work out? and whats the basic line rental for bt if i didnt want it for a phone, just for broadband use?

BT line rental is £11.

Can't see why a Homehub 'wouldnt work'. Its just a wireless router basically, and internet phone.

we've had four now, and none have worked. the excuse from BT is that it doesnt work around here. I know what I'm doing with computers and networks so its not me who's in the wrong. it's a very very lame service from BT.

Do you live out in the sticks?

You can't really go wrong with the installation of the homehub. Plug it in and there you go! so doubt you could do that wrong.

getting Be requires your exchange to have been upgraded, so you'd need to check that out. Mine hadn't sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />, I had the option of BT, BT or, your guessed it, BT

so you suggest i go for virgin media??

in a nutshell yeah.

the internet doesn't come down a bt line unlike everyone elses, so you actually get the quoted speed...which means you don't have to spend silly amounts of money on quick connections.

the tv is cool. not quite sky+ but hey ho. and the sky one thing will get sorted soon.

phones i don't know anything about...i hardly ever used a landlline at home anyway...but i think you could even get a mobile contract as part of the deal?

I hate BT.

Have to have them, as I dont have cable.

Dont use the phone, just the line.

Im with Demon.

Get 8Meg broadband for £25.

Was going to go to sky, called them up and was told my line would only allow 3Meg

Couldnt understand this as, like I say, I was upgraded to 8Meg a year ago.

Told them Id leave it, and would call BT to see what the problem was.

Called the BT number to order broadband.

45 mins later managed to get hold of someone.

They told me I could join them and enjoy a 2Meg connection.

Asked them how this was possible, as I get 8Meg now on my BT line and Sky are quoting 3Meg.

I was informed they have more customers, so the speed is less.

Thank you very much, I will not be buying from you smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

you do well then mate I REALY LIVE IN THE STICKS! Mine doesnt work when it rains, and I get 0.8mb but maxiumum download speed i get is about 50kb/s great anit it? lol

So its BT's fault you live so far from an exchange rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

i love how everyone thinks so simplisticly when it comes to broadband.

internet providers are not equal, you may pay £15 a month for an uptto 8mb service, but your provider may have an aggressive shaping policy, your caps may be low, and adsl is distance dependent

i would never buy from the likes of virgin, tiscali, bt, pipex, or really any of the big names. they all have aggressive shaping policies, and their centrals are jam packed because put simply, a 655mb costs in the region of 1.2 million per year, and to claw back that money they need to shove a lot of users on the same central to make any kind of profit.

you get what you pay for with broadband and there are very few providers i would consider worth going with, and they charge accordingly.

then again i worked for an ISP and am probably more fussy than your average home user about my connection.

Edited by Adam K

So its BT's fault you live so far from an exchange rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

No its not that Joe, they refused to let us have broadband unless we went with them, what *****

You said that when i posted this about a year ago when i was trying to get it. They said we had to go with them took about 4 weeks of winging before they upgraded the line. I know how it works from a customers point of view, clearly u know more ins and outs working in this area. Basicaly you call demon they say fine and request your line to be upgraded, after about a week we call them back and they said BT have refused, Phoned BT and they said we cant get Broadband in our area,but if we went with them they would be able to do somthing. Thast what happend, u can argue it if you want mate but thats the story