Philplop's Caddy

Philplop

It's already painted, I was just disguising it. ;)

Thought about Deep Blue Pearl at first, but wanted something a bit more retro.

Sure there'll be an actual photo of the colour up soon... :)

Edited by Philplop

:lol:

I know! Just woken up and saw my mate had uploaded and tagged me in them.

You're a bit slow anyway Jon, I posted up a picture on nordubs weeks ago!

Next ones I was gonna post weren't going to be hidden anyway.

jon_273 is the only one who's seen it in the flesh. We have secret meetings. :ninja:

• 4 weeks later...

Holy shi*t. Will have had this 3 years in February.

Can't let it become a three year build...

Not a lot has happened, I can't find the adapters to bolt the big brakes up to, so need to keep hunting around for them. The only place I can find that supplies genuine new seals for the windscreen and doors is out of stock, so waiting on them, and the painter thought that the inside of the cab was being trimmed, so he didn't paint it with the rest of the car, which is holding back the interior a bit.

Anyway, that's enough excuses for now, better save a few for February. :lol:

Painter should be coming up next week and painting the cab in my garage.

Sister is going to make me a new headliner in lovely fake suede.

Am I going to be ok if I fit the dash before the windscreen? Can leave it for now if it's easier.

Painted the standard grill and badge satin black, as shown by this truly sh*te photo. Thanks go to Chris260 for telling me not to buy a crap debadged grill, proper chuffed with how this one cleaned up.

SNC00059.jpg

Test fitted the carpet. Mmmmm. Brown. It's all POR-15'd underneath, so it should stay perfect!

SNC00057.jpg

Put the Estorils on as the Bathursts fouled the coilovers when I wound them down. :o They're all on now.

SNC00049.jpg

And the lovely raptor-lined bed. :D

SNC00017.jpg

Oh, and it's Harvest Moon Beige. Although I don't know where he gets his paint from as it's not nearly as creamy as I was expecting. Still very nice though. And not as white as it looks in the photos.

Edited by Philplop

Cheers.

Aye, I like badgeless grills, but didn't realise how crap the mk1 ones look til I went to buy one, needs all the little slats rather than a few big ones.

Yeah, thought the dash would be best left for now, I just want to get something done!

Sophie's car's brilliant...

SNC00014.jpg

:(

All fixed now though. :D

SNC00056.jpg

Painted the front grill and badge sating black (I love barbecue paint!) Still think it looked better with the debadged one though.

It's got on 60/40 springs, ATS Classics, GT front bumper, GT lookalike rear bumper, late spec tinted rear lights with a LHD one so they're symmetrical with a red fog, clear front indicators, black badges and an 8 ball gear knob. Just need to fit the GT arches and it's finished. :) Cool first car, for a girl.

Nah, bought it off LiamD a few months ago. She drove round in it for a while with me doing bits and bobs. I then had an absolute nightmare fitting the lowering springs, which took me a week! Everything was seized and you have to undo the driveshafts and steering rack and allsorts. Then she bumped it the day after I finished. :(

Took it to the bloke who welded and painted the caddy and he put a new front panel on, and sprayed the replacment bonnet and wings, which was nice as they both had scabs on and the drivers side one had crap paint.

mk3 Polo's are just flimsy. :lol:

Yeah, she was fine, just a bit upset. Bent bonnet, bumper brace bar thing, front panel and a smashed grill. So not too bad, didn't touch the wings or break the radiator.

Uninteresting Caddy update: found the brake adapters and bolts, just need to paint the calipers and they can go on. And smoothed the logos off the rear lights and machine polished them, to get all that crap tint spray off. Looked ok when it was maroon, but cack on anything else. Came up better than new. :)

• 1 month later...

Cheers.

Linz's GTI is Harvest Moon beige. :)

Got the windscreen seal and rear window seal now, so once the headliner's made I can fit it, get the windows in, then the rest of the interior. :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm liking this a lot! Good progress. I was the same when I first the colour - thought it would be creamier. There's a beetle recently moved in up the road from me and it looks quite a bit darker / deeper / creamier etc. But its hard to photograph it also - always looks much whiter.

• 2 months later...

Bit of movement...

Door seals are finally fitted, checked them with the hose and everything is watertight, apart from the window scrapers, so the water is running down the glass and into the door. Apparently they're still available from VW though, so I'll get some nice new ones. :)

Got some new clip things for the tailgate mechanism, so got that all fitted up.

Today we give it its first wash and a quick wax, fitted the Teledials and started it up. Still runs fine after sitting for 3 years. :lol:

My old dad hard at work:

IMG_9387.jpg

Teledials on, sits pretty well, low offset 7's and low offset 6's with 165/50's. Fill the arches out nicely, whilst still allowing the bed to move with weight in. Back will come down a bit.

IMG_9422.jpg

IMG_9423.jpg

IMG_9427.jpg

Machine polished the rear lights.

IMG_9429.jpg

IMG_9431.jpg

Thanks to Jon for his help in the wind today!

Next job is the dash and carpet...

Edited by Philplop