Replacing Driver's Door Check Strap

For quite a while my GTi drivers door has had an "Addam's family" type creak to it. Apparently its the check strap that needs replacing. The bush at the end of it has disintegrated. However I can't work out how to remove the old strap. Access through the door appears to be blocked by the rivetted in speaker.

Any clues as to how I can get at it?

Thanks, 80spie

Yes it is the metal strap. I rather hoped since this appears to be a recurring fault somebody would have already replaced one. If you can get access it looked pretty straight forward to fit and I was going to have a go myself. However it looks like I will have to leave it to my friendly local mechanic, I'll report back as to how he did it.

80spie

you will need to remove the membrane or slash cut it as high as possible, slide your arm in and remove from the rear. 10 mm bolts in the door recess, one in the pin smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

My car's started to have a bit of 'an "Addam's family" type creak to it' recently too, and I've read this thread but am afraid to say I don't have a clue what you all mean when you say the 'Driver's Door Check Strap'. What is it? And how would I know if this is the problem? Because at present i've been putting it down to work suspension bushes.

NOCK

This 'NOCK'ing (see what I did there), is when opening and closing the door. There is a metal bar attaching the door to the car, stops the door opening too far.

Its attached at the door where there is a bush that perrishes quickly, allowing the strap to move around, and clack around.

It is easy enough to change though, once youve got at the bolts in behind the speaker, just takes a bit of feeling around.

I got a replacement of mitch who just so happend to have one in his glove box at the time!!