Help and Advice please

Mikey_M

Hello

I thought id put this in this forum as well as the Arosa forum as not had much response. Your help would be much appreciated. I think the main question is would you buy this car thats a 1998 with 103,000 miles on the clock bearing in mind it will have to last her for at least 3 years?

I own a Lupo and my girlfriend either wants a Lupo or an Arosa. We have seen an Arosa AutoTrader advertised for £800. It is a 1998 1.4 MPI with 103,000! Miles. Spoke to the person yesterday and asked about the high mileage and was advised that they are the second owners of the car. They bought the car off a Garage in 2001 by which time the car had only done 11,000 miles and was used as a test drive vehicle???

To me this started the alarm bells as it didnt add up? So in 5 years they had done 92,000 miles? My thoughts are that the car must have done more then 11,000 when with the garage and was it used as a courtesy car etc?????? I have just recently bought a 1999 Lupo that has been modified with only 54,000 miles for £1800 (Garthie for anyone that knows Jens old car)

Please could you let me know your thoughts on the mileage and price etc.

Many thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikey_M

Condition over mileage is my 2p's worth.

My Gti has 72k on it and I did the first 65k in the first three years and it did not cause me any problems (apart from heavy depreciation but I bought it to use not to re-sell).

£800 sounds like a bit of a bargain, wish I'd seen that when I bought Sarah's Cinquecento back in October.

That kind of mileage won't be an issue so long as shes been treated well, and would easily last three years I'd say. As Darren said, condition is always more important that mileage, again, IMHO.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Sounds decent to me, just check its had the cambelt changed twice as it needs to be changed every 45K or so, and if it hasn't it will be pricey to replace (300-400-ish i think from VW but don't quote me on that). I think the owner may know this and this is why it is at such a low price, so make sure you check!

Good luck

NOCK

*Edit*: Hangs head in shame, posted this before I realised you had already bought it lol, hope its all good mate!

Edited by LUPO NOCK

Sounds decent to me, just check its had the cambelt changed twice as it needs to be changed every 45K or so, and if it hasn't it will be pricey to replace (300-400-ish i think from VW but don't quote me on that). I think the owner may know this and this is why it is at such a low price, so make sure you check!

Good luck

NOCK

*Edit*: Hangs head in shame, posted this before I realised you had already bought it lol, hope its all good mate!

Yeah good advice, check in its history to see if its been done, it should have been done twice by now. If its due you can probably get it done for around £150-£180 from a good independant garage. Also get the water pump changed at the same time.

If you dont know if its been changed then get it changed ASAP, its the difference between £180 and throwing the car away as it will cost a fortune if it snaps.

Chris

Thanks alot. Its been changed once in 2005 and that was around 70,000 miles so prob will be due another soon? Youve got me thinking now about my Lupo. Its on around 58,000 and hasnt had it changed yet. Also its had a Twin exhaust fitted and that tarting blowing! Hope i dont have to have all that replaced. Taking it to Kwik Fit tomorrow. I keep meaning to put pics on here of it but most of you already know it. Its Jens old Green Lupo.

Thanks again

Mike

Garthie! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Yep, probably about time for your Lupo to get it changed too. And I'd say the Arosa wants another too - but a good independant garage should be able to do it pretty cheaply.