Body work

seanmooney17

Does anyone know how easy or even if its possible to replace a bit of a quarter pannel. I want to replace from above the petrol cover a couple of inches, straight across to the window and cut straight down to the middle of the arch.

There are three lumps starting to appear and i think i will be wasting my time and money stripping the paint back and seeing wat the problem is (obviously rust angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" /> )

thanks

Sean

you replace the whole rear quarter panel cut from half way down each pillar and usually 5 inches into the door sill section you DO NOT cut down the middle of a panel and then expect it to stay flat when you weld it confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

if rust get rid of it, if its rotten through, replace the quarter no other way

wayne

you replace the whole rear quarter panel cut from half way down each pillar and usually 5 inches into the door sill section you DO NOT cut down the middle of a panel and then expect it to stay flat when you weld it confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

if rust get rid of it, if its rotten through, replace the quarter no other way

wayne

seconded...... i've seen plenty of arosa's with this problem because they have no inner arch liner. the mud gets trapped above the petrol filler neck and moisture is held in.mk 2 golfs and mk 1 golfs suffer from it also.

if your competent cut out the small rusted parts and make an exact piece to fit the hole and butt weld, chances are you may have issues in the inner quarter panel aswell .

sand it down and see if you can hit bare metal, would be a LOT easier to see if its only surface rust before you go changing panels.

agreed so mach more sensible a good zinc based primer will rid you of further trouble. i believe the 12 year warranty is only on 2000+ arosas mines an 01 arosa i know ive got the 12 year warranty

Edited by eXXXtreme arosa

im gonna check my car tomorrow, lol, handy having a pit and steam cleaner at work

would a lupo arch liner fit?

Yes it would, i looked at doing that.

The only thing is the lupo has a small pipe to allow overspill petrol go down and pass the liner. Where the arosa just has a hole doesnt it, under the filler cap, so it would soak the liner in fuel, so you would need to fit a pipe as well, carnt see it being difficult to do.

I might go to VW tomorrow and pirce the liners, going to get the passenger side atleast, then i dont have the pipe to worry about, but if i get that sorted ill get both sides. Also reduces noise.

Dont supose anyone has the part numbers for these?

Chris

Edited by cardaft

Ah lads i have got lumps cut out all ready and lumps welded in again, and then fibreglassed over them adn filled. all you can see now is the lumps comming up where the welding was done. I priced a new outer quarter pannel this morning from a seat dealer and they said it was ÂŁ130 + VAT, but i can get the VAT off so its not too bad.

The fella that is dong this for me said that the would stick it on and paint it for ÂŁ150. I dono if its worth doing, or should i just get a new car.

Any thoughts??

sounds like your making a mountain out of a mole hill to me rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> you need to sort out the cause first for example the inner arch which is rot through and has passed it to the quarter panel

how good is this 'fella' that is doing the work? if he makes a hash of putting it on you will have more than slight bubble rust problems, just a thought

hope you can get it all sorted and good luck

wayne