Lupo GTI from Sweden

peepin_eyes

So a friend of mine came to the rescue today with a trailer and one of his Volvo 745's, since the roads were nasty as hell we thought we'll be better of towing the Lupo. We didn't know if it was possible to wash the car at the place we were going to either. So anyway, we headed to town with the old 745 blowin' smoke black as coal from the exhaust. IMG_1617.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

A quick pit-stop at Cleanpark to wash the car, again!

IMG_1621.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

When we later arrived to the right place thay asked us if we wanted to clean the car, yes thank you. The resonance in the garage was amazing, the car sounds very good! IMG_1623.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

This weeks neighbour is a Bora TDi (estimated 170+hp) and it i clean as hell I think. It rides on 19" wheels from the Pheaton, has air-ride, brakes from the Pheaton V12 (huge IMG_1626.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Not much work will be needed for tomorrow then with the car, great! The event opens for the public on thursday, tomorrow it's pressday think. IMG_1629.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

There were not so many cars there yet since it's today (wednesday) the cars should be inside, but I took a few pics anyway...

The STCC Opel Astra GTC that Tommy Rustad should drive in the 2007 season for Opel team Sweden.

IMG_1637.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The brakes.

IMG_1632.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Skoda had a rather big stand on the show, not a sign of any VW & Audi either, that sucks.

The Fabia RS is a car I still like.

IMG_1641.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Skoda Scout.

IMG_1640.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Skoda Roomster, ugliest car of show. Shame on you Skoda. IMG_1642.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Cayman S? IMG_1639.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Thats on really big headlight!

IMG_1644.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Hyundai Coupé

IMG_1647.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The front.

IMG_1648.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Kenneth Feldthusens Chevy 34, 6,84s@402m/316km/h. 463cui Keith Black, 14-71 blower, +2000hp on 1100kg car...

IMG_1650.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

A little Ford.

IMG_1653.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

And a little Lotus.

IMG_1658.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Four fine Porsches.

IMG_1661.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_1670.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The Top Fueler from Micke Kågered.

IMG_1693.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

A old Saab two-stroker, a Lancia Fulva HF and a quick Miata.

IMG_1703.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

A Saab (but not this one) won the Monte Carlo Rally in 1963 with the Swede Erik Carlsson, Saab has this guy to thank for a lot of things...

IMG_1705.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

I love the stopwatches. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

IMG_1709.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

Inside of the Lancia.

IMG_1714.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

The roof tells it has been around the world...

IMG_1712.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" />

That's about it, more pics another time, hopefully there are more cars there today.

Edited by peepin_eyes

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice GTi, i like the snow (plough) pic, great car and pics shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

I actually quite like the roomster blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> , as a family buy its a bit different from everything else.

Chris

The thing I don't lika about it is how the line between the fron door window and everything else don't match. Looks like two different cars have been welded together or something. rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

New day, new cars. IMG_1718.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_1781.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_1779.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Sticker tuning... IMG_1777.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

A Zonda and a Gallardo.

IMG_1721.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

A discrete color for a supercar.

IMG_1722.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

This is the 'loaded' M3 CSL. One of the fastest CSL's around I guess. The goal is to do a lap at the Nürburgring this summer in under 7:30!!! IMG_1733.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_1734.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_1736.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Wide and white...

IMG_1739.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_1743.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The Porsche 962 gr. C did the lap of Nürburgring in 6,25...

IMG_1748.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_1747.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Another old Porsche.

IMG_1749.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

One of many sweet Volvo 240's here in Sweden, Gothenburg where I'm from is the town they all started their lifes. IMG_1761.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The engine is from a new Volvo S60R family racer. This one is a little more powerful though. We have seen powerfigures at over 700hp from these 5 cyl volvo engines, and they are very reliable and streetable too! Use it for work in the weeks and go to the dragstrip in the weekends and do 11s 225km/h-passes all weekend with your Volvo 854. IMG_1763.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The fantasia green Lupos has a new competitor, 997 GT3 RS...

IMG_1775.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Thats all for today then. rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Edited by peepin_eyes

• 4 weeks later...

Since the weather has been perfect most of the time the last week, and the weekend even better (if possible) I thought it was time to mount the summer-wheels. IMG_1833.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The tires feels really nice so far!

IMG_1839.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

And yesterday I booked two trackdays, the 26th of April in Falkenberg, a track which I haven't tried yet, and the 18th of May at Kinnekulle Ring which is my favourite track so far. wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

Loving your GTi as always defo one of the best on the forum and something different from the usual euro style oh and the arosa in the background is it a cannica blue one same as mine by any chance?

what do you think of the tyres now? and how good compared to the hankook's?

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder

Loving your GTi as always defo one of the best on the forum and something different from the usual euro style oh and the arosa in the background is it a cannica blue one same as mine by any chance?

what do you think of the tyres now? and how good compared to the hankook's?

wayne

Hi Wayne! Thank you veru much, and I'm sorry that I've missed your reply. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I have no idea what the name of the color is on my sisters Arosa, but it seem like it could be the same as yours, Cannica blue then, sound nice... shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

When it comes to the tires I have never used the Hankook tires since it was winter when I bought the car, so I sold the tires and bought new ones in a better size. But now I have used the Yokohama tires on both street and on track and they works very well! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

have you tried them in the very wet yet? just wondering how they will cope.
Well, not really. The weather has been really good here a few weeks now, I have tried them in rain one time and they works fine. But they are probably not the best tires in the world when it comes to wet conditions. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

i was thinking of trying some for all year use, doesnt freeze where i live. just wet. was thinking if 195 aquaplane too easy to get a 165 so it would cut through the standing water. but i want oz ultra leggera wheels and i dont think they do them in 6" rim needed for 165 tyres.

Edited by qually

So last weekend I had my debut with the Lupo on Sviestad racetrack in Linköping, Sweden! I was a little nervous I have to admit, new car and a new track for me... hopeless1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

photo: 'Hopeless'

niklas-falk1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

photo: Niklas Falk

daniel-ahlin2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

photo: Daniel Ahlin

daniel-ahlin1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

photo: Daniel Ahlin

Lars Falk (father of Niklas the photgrapher) was one of the Clio Sport drivers, and he had a camera mounted in the car, so enjoy the

For your information the Clio Sport is a 182 ph2 (the base model of the sport in the uk I think) since we didn't get the cup or Ragnotti versions here. This one is equipped with better brakepads up front, Yokohama 032 or Toyo r888(?), Eibach spring with standard shocks...

Excellent, looks like a fun time was had.

Were you braking hard in the third picture down, looks like the fuel flap is opening. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

looks very fun. need an inside shot of the lupo.

It sure was fun! Inside pics of the Lupo could be found on page 2 & 3, there won't be an inside movie since I don't have the right eqiupment... wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Were you braking hard in the third picture down, looks like the fuel flap is opening. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

No not really, but I have to close the fillercap very often, I guess the car is too fast. rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks ago I visited a trackday at Falkenberg raceway. It was a new track for me but I have been there before to watch STCC (swedish touring car championship, Rydell & Co) a couple of years ago...

The weather was great and there were many fine cars to watch. Here's some of them:

An Elise with poor street tires fitted, one example of how to get a car slower. IMG_2018.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

A really nice Alfa Romeo, worked very well on track too! IMG_2011.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

There was not as many MX5's as it use to be this time, but here is two of them.

IMG_2020.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

A sweet Ferrari Dino, I didn't see it on the track this time.

IMG_2017.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Sleeper of the day must have been this Alfa Romeo (Berlina 1750?), and the sound it made!

IMG_2031.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_2032.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Love the interior too. IMG_2033.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Another of my favorites is this Renault Alpine A110 1600S from 1971.

IMG_2036.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_2034.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

A really fast GTV. This car is equipped with a Volvo b230 ft engine (from a 940-series Volvo turbo I think), with a much bigger turbo and some other adjustments it goes like a bomb. IMG_2037.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

12" slicks?

IMG_2046.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Back to the Lupo then!

The car worked very well, the next upgrade must be better brakepads, blue Pagids hopefully.

Some Lupo pics too then:

Waiting to go out on the track

Nisse997_1_klar.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The old Alfa sure was quick!

Nisse997_2_klar.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

But not quick enough...

Nisse997_3_klar.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Followed by a Volvo 850 turbo, the Lupo is a sitting duck on the straights tough...

Nisse997_4_klar.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

This Volvo is equipped with huge brakes, a completely rebuilt and upgraded engine, Quaife diff, Dunlop semi slicks.

The sound they make is amazing, think Audi s1... Nisse997_5_klar.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

The Lupo followed by a Vauxhall vx220 (or Opel Speedster as they're called here) and an old heavy Supra.

Nisse997_6_klar.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

All the photos of the Lupo on the track was shot by 'Nisse997', thanks!

Nisse997_7_klar.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Time to head home in the sunset, got to get some sleep before I'm taking the car to work in the morning.

IMG_2010.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

IMG_20302.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Edited by peepin_eyes

I like the running commentary you've given! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Good pics m8 thumbup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbup:" border="0" alt="thumbup.gif" />

I like the running commentary you've given! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Good pics m8 thumbup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbup:" border="0" alt="thumbup.gif" />

Thanks, and thanks for reading it! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

excellent report and pics. tell me more about how your lupo drove on the track, did it feel right, anything on setup you would change or upgrade?

Thanks! The car feels very good on the track, well balanced and with very good handling! No sudden surprises with the handling that I have noticed yet... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> The only thing that I miss from the Clio Sport that I had before the gti is the brakes, the rocked! I also miss the punch in the engine from 5000rpm and up, but the good thing weigh up the bad, the Lupo feels much better on the track... But then, if you spoil the Clio with the same chassie and tires as the Lupo you will have one hell of a fast car. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks ago I went to the south of Sweden to Sturup (very close to Denmark) to try Sturup raceway.

The track was totally rebuilt since I was there with my old Lupo in 2003, the Swedish touringcar championship was here the week before by the way. The weather was perfect and for being early may it was hot! struve2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Photo: 'Struve'

The car performed very well all day, and the brakes felt better too on this track. This trackday was organized by the swedish VW gti club, open for everyone with an interest in watercooled VW's. This club arrange trackdays together with Opel sports club, and this day we had visitors from the Miata club and also the Skoda RS club...

Jani2.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Photo: Jani Hast www.hastig.se

I tried to keep up with the first generations of the Miata, but they were pretty quick...

On this pic the car is on top of a crest, thats why it looks so high. Nillet1klar.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Photo: 'Nillet'

The car was great and felt very good to drive.

figgz1mini.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

Photo: Figgz

nice pics again.

i wanted to ask you about your sparco seat. is it base mounted? did you buy the sparco frames specifically for the lupo gti, do they fit ok no problems easy to just bolt and swap over from standard frames and seats?

lastly did you weigh old frames / seats to see the weight differences?

thanks.