Quick answer appreciated re: oil consumption.

Have had my Arosa 16v 2 months. After one month I checked the oil to find non at all on the dip-stick. I rang the dealers (Lookers Honda, Nottingham) and they advised me to fill it up and monitor further useage.

It took approx. 3 litres to fill back up ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

After approx. 500 miles it had used a further (approx. again) 1.5 litres of oil.

Dealers swiftly took it back to get to the bottom of the problem.

They've rung today and told me it's to do with the oil quality. They say that VW/SEAT advise using Castrol SLX 3 Longlife stuff (?), and that because I wasn't using this, the engine was using large quantaties of my 5-40 and whatever the dealer originally put in when I purchased the vehicle.

Does this sound right? Or is it a fob-off? Good advice greatly appreciated wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Not sure about the amount between the two marks on dipstick, but you don't need much to fill it up to max if its on the min. Around half a litre? really am guessing though.

the 16v does burn quite a bit of oil, like wise for the 16v polo i believe. i have to fill mine up fairly regularly but not a drastic as yours! have you tried phoning a Seat dealer to find out yourself?

There is an issue wih some of the 100bhp 1.4 engines I think. I know of a few cars on here that use oil quite quickly.

Isn't there a thread about how to check for leaks, by removing the HT lead holder and plugs. Cylinder 1 has oil above it if I remember right?

3.4ltr for the engine and 2.7ltr for the gearbox.

For the engine we would recomend a 5w-40 full synthetic for all year round

use, for performance meeting the VW502.00 as minimum.

For the gearbox a good 75w-90.

Have a look at Fuchs, Silkolene and Motul.

Regards

Guy.

Opie Oils

ORDER ONLINE at http://www.opieoils.co.uk or CALL GUY or SIMON on 01209 215164

this is what opie oils recommend for my arosa sport with light mods.

Sounds like it's leaking oil from somewhere... VW accepted oil consumption is 1 litre to every 1000 miles, and minimum to maximum on the stick is 1 litre smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Take it back, and get it checked. I'd imagine an oil seal has gone wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

My GTI hardly uses any oil, or a barely noticable amount, is this a bad thing? (Engines and me don't mix biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> )

Well, they've put the new oil in and the engine does seem to be running better (smoother, less whining, pinking and knocking etc).

I'll keep an eye on consumption and keep you posted. It's going from Sheffield-Kent, Kent-Plockton, Plockton-Sheffield over Christmas so that should reveal any ongoing issues wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

It continues...nearly two weeks into my new oil (and 418 miles) and the level is down to just above minimum. It would seem that i'm using twice the amount of oil as VW would accept as normal ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

If i'm honest, 1 litre per thousand miles seem a lot to me. Are these figures accurate?

I don't want this car anymore angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

CAR FOR SALE:

SEAT Arosa 1.4 i6v

1 carefull owner (for only 3 months)

Low milage

High oil consumption

Free black 'stuff' on boot of car that looks suspiciously like soot

Excellent warranty service (not) with Lookers Honda, Nottingham.

£4000 biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> ono

Here mate i ahave an 1.0l arosa. It was using 1l of oil every 300miles before i got it serviced, but after i got it serviced it has only used 1/4 of a litre of oil.

Is the car pulling badly at all?? ya could need the gasket replaced, or piston rings, wouldn't cost ya that much to do if ya know a cheap local garage.