1.7 sdi power??????

rrdoctoruk

dont laugh as this is all i could afford,

how can i get a bit more power out of an sdi engine,

any helpful suggestions,not to silly please

and yes ive heard them all,

dont bother buying it,

get out and push,

blahblahblah wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Ignore them... My SDi goes like a demon!

The long flexi-hose that goes from the throttle body down to the airbox top, can be unclipped, and you can fit an induction cone to the throttle body directly (or fit a panel filter to the stock airbox). Also, the big intake housing that's bolted to the back of the head... take it off. Inside are 4 restrictor trumpets... Take them out, and then refit the box (you'll need to knock out the spacers, in order to tighten the screws up again). Tune-it do a diesel tuning box for the SDi - allows you to turn up the fueling manually, and boost performance figures.

Do all of it, and it'll pull like a train. It becomes so much more torquey and throttle response is massively improved. 144654248.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Edit: I'll learn how to spell one of these days rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Edited by Dubya

Ignore them... My SDi goes like a demon!

The long flexi-hose that goes from the throttle body down to the airbox top, can be unclipped, and you can fit an induction cone to the throttle body directly (or fit a panel filter to the stock airbox). Also, the big intake housing that's bolted to the back of the head... take it off. Inside are 4 restrictor trumpets... Take them out, and then refit the box (you'll need to knock out the spacers, in order to tighten the screws up again). Tune-it do a diesel tuning box for the SDi - allows you to turn up the fueling manually, and boost performance figures.

Do all of it, and it'll pull like a train. It becomes so much more torquey and throttle response is massively improved. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

dont worry i cant spell either

have a induction cone on the end if the flex hose as i thoughtup near the throttle body it would be drawing in hot air as diesels like as much cold air as poss,

was thinking about taking the catilytic convertor out as its not regulated and also doing something with the exhaust gas recerculate vale but what? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Turning down the EGR will help engine response, but with the filter you will need to run a cold air feed through the engine bay or as you say you will be sucking in warm air (the arch enemy of diesels laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> ) Removing the Cat may give a couple of extra horses & help with response but as for whether it would pass an MOT like that? Maybe get a section made uop that you could swap over for test time.

Turning down the EGR will help engine response, Removing the Cat may give a couple of extra horses & help with response but as for whether it would pass an MOT like that? Maybe get a section made uop that you could swap over for test time.

which way is turning it down as it is a thread with a lock nut,and a slot for a screwdriver on the top ,

use to have a tdi golf that had a cat fitted but it use to rattle so broke the cat up with a broom handle use to go a lot better after that and give more mpg,use to pass mot no probs

how would removing the trumpets make it go better? are they that restrictive?

Hi, I got my SDI remapped and got about an extra 10 to 12 bhp and fitted a K&N filter for

another 1or2 bhp the remap cost me £270. Micky G

surely this is what the tune it unit is doing???? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

arosaengine-1.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

th_arosa.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

my engine bay and a video of me doing the other halfs LCR i was aloud to change gear he stayed in 6th

how would removing the trumpets make it go better? are they that restrictive?

They're restrictors. The 1.7 SDi is a sleeved down 1.9 from the Polo, so they had to restrict it's performance... There's 4 individual trumpets, all the full internal length of the intake box - the opening to the trumpet is close up against the back edge of the box, restricting the intake... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Dubya - out of interest, how has all this affected your mpg?

or is it a case of "we dont worry about that" lol

280 miles to the last tank of ultimate diesel... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

surely this is what the tune it unit is doing???? confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Yup. There's no true ecu to map on an SDi. The Tune-it box is a manual over-ride, which allows you to adjust the mixture - same way you would on a carb... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

280 miles to the last tank of ultimate diesel... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

that works out at only 36 to the gallon?????? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

They're restrictors. The 1.7 SDi is a sleeved down 1.9 from the Polo, so they had to restrict it's performance... There's 4 individual trumpets, all the full internal length of the intake box - the opening to the trumpet is close up against the back edge of the box, restricting the intake... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

so are you saying the engine is actually a 1.9 sdi??

and the restrictors make it a 1.7 or am i looking at this wrong the engine is bigger than what it is if that makes sense

if thats the case surley its best to take the restictors out and put in the ecu for the polo sdi 1.9

now i am confused confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

that works out at only 36 to the gallon?????? sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I doubt thats driving like Miss Daisy though! If you're going to 'tune' a diesel you will sacrifice MPG, it just depends on how you drive the car more than anything else. As long as you dont boot it everywhere it will still be economical, but if you drive like that why tune it to start with?

Edited by Max69vk

Eh? Based on 4.56 litres to a gallon, i work it out to be 47mpg (full tank to light coming on). Any tuning causes an increase in fuel consumption... It has to use more fuel to achieve a higher power output.

so are you saying the engine is actually a 1.9 sdi??

and the restrictors make it a 1.7 or am i looking at this wrong the engine is bigger than what it is if that makes sense

The motor in the Polo was a 1.9. The 1.7 motor in the Lupo/Arosa is the same, but reduced in capacity by bore/stroke setup. Motor capacity is the amount displaced by the piston stroke in each cylinder.

The motors are designed to achieve a greater power output than listed in the sales brochure, and then restricted to the said amount. In the case of the diesel, it's restricted mechanically through trumpets - The same way your petrol motor is restricted through it's intake /air flow sensor setup (hence why you can remap it).... so that each car that rolls off the production line, has the same power output. Also, by restricting a motor's performance, it gains in reliability - components being less stressed.

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Dubya

will the ecu cope with the trumpets removed as obviously there is more air going into the combustion process so surely the engine will now run lean/weak...

There is no true ecu like on your TDI, or petrol motor. Your not going to suddenly gain 30hp from taking them out. We're talking 4-5hp maybe on full pelt, but masses more torque and driveability... Mid range punch is noticeably improved, and the motor is free-er revving.

what are the reliability isuses if any?

There are none. I've run mine like it for the last 9 months, and had no problems with it. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Dubya

There is no true ecu like on your TDI, or petrol motor. Your not going to suddenly gain 30hp from taking them out. We're talking 4-5hp maybe on full pelt, but masses more torque and driveability... Mid range punch is noticeably improved, and the motor is free-er revving.

There are none. I've run mine like it for the last 9 months, and had no problems with it. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

great,guess what i'm doing this weekend biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

any idear as to which way to turn the egr vale so it does not open so early??