bmc help

VDub Lady

ok so i have this bmc on my gti.

it has a pipe that just sticks out and doesnt attach to anything. im pretty sure its meant to be for the pipe that is meant to come out of my bottom grill which i dont have.

heres some pix.

can i just cut it off? or do i need to do something with it?

al x

Picture059.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Picture061.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

its not going to be much good there. it needs to attach to the stock induction pipe section that the gti has fitted. how come yours is missing?

confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

i dont know, what is it mean to look like?

Edited by VDub Lady

Using the stock air intake from the wing is pretty crap when I looked at it at the weekend. You really need to get some more pipework and feed it round down to the little grille at the bottom of the bumper on the drivers side.

Where that piping currently ends its basically getting all the hot air from the exhaust system.

Edited by Joe

As above really, the wing is pretty restrictive, theres not much air flow with the archliner and the wings are filled with foam which gets filled with water (makes it heavy too)

the best place would be to remove the sidelight and run some piping there but you'll probably want to keep the sidelights. the lower grille is the next best place.

i'll agree that the stock wing intake is shíte! you need to run a pipe up from the front bumper for best results

Edited by lupogtiboy

i'm not, its one of the best places for it to go. thats why it go's there. does that make sence to you?

Just because VW spent 'millions' experimenting with air intakes and relised that a tiny slit in the side wing gives 'best air feed' doesnt mean this is true.

You seriously need to repair or replace that pipe because it's just skimming the cambelt! If it drops off onto that then no amount of induction is going to help you get out of that mess!

i have taken the broken bit of so it doesnt fall on the belt, im just gonna try get a new pipe.

al x

its not going to be much good there. it needs to attach to the stock induction pipe section that the gti has fitted. how come yours is missing?

Thats not really advice, thats basically you thinking what you have said is gospal.

You seriously need to repair or replace that pipe because it's just skimming the cambelt! If it drops off onto that then no amount of induction is going to help you get out of that mess!

you mean the alternator belt surely?

The wing vent is so restrictive its not even funny! plus there is relatively little chance of actually getting a decent air feed from it. The front bumper is the best place to get the cold air feed from. Fact.

its not too restrictive . if the engine didnt get enough air from it, it would stall.

it gets all the air it needs, but a direct forced feed (forced doesnt have to mean turbo/supercharger) then it will be a cooler bonus.

the type of tubing that get supplied with these type of kits is the most crappest ever. it will always break. go to demon tweeks and buy some of their proper air flexi duxting, you can choose the diameter and its silicone/neoprene 1 or 2ply. much stronger.

Edited by beach