Coilover Questions.....

drummachine

Just got me a new job (working for VW/Audi) so i thought i would buy a set of Coilovers for my 01' GTI. In a nutshell i wanted opinions on the followings:

Instead of my usual 6mile journey i will be doing 40-50 miles per day so wondered how much the ride and road noise suffer as all the roads are bumpy A roads?

Also how much do they improve the handling? (worked for Peugeot and the 106 GTI handles better)

What is the most ideal set for me to get as i am on a budget?

Opinions appreciated smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Chris

yeah they do improve the handling a lot. but with increased wear to the bushes and the rest of the transmission etc..... a bit more road noise too... i personnaly dont like them for driving on the roads becuase they are too choppy for my liking, nush rather go for a decent set of gas pressurized dampers any day.... but each to his own......

yeah they do improve the handling a lot. but with increased wear to the bushes and the rest of the transmission etc..... a bit more road noise too... i personnaly dont like them for driving on the roads becuase they are too choppy for my liking, nush rather go for a decent set of gas pressurized dampers any day.... but each to his own......

Thanks for the info. Im very interested in getting a set. The only thing that worries me is the ride quality with me now doing more miles over A roads........

What do people think? blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I agree.

I found them too harsh for a road car if you dont like in Mk or somewhere else with plenty of smooth roads (ie. in the sticks!) then they can be a pain in the ass.

Mine are too low, so my experiance isn't the same as someone who has fitted them just to improve the handling.

TBH honest mate it depends how well you want your car to look and handle.

If these are your top priorities and dont mind the ride being harsh, go for them.

Expect it to be a harsh ride, then it wont be a nasty suprise and it can only be better than you thought it would be. If you go for a kit that also has adjustable dampening, at least you know youve got it as good as you can possibly get it.

If looks/handling come secondary to comfort, go with an uprated suspension kit.

Edited by LoopGTI

The way i look at it at the moment is that i want it to handle better. Not too bothered about the way its looks (dont like them when they are too low) and i dont want to compromise the ride too much due to my longer journeys.

I suppose that with coilovers i could adjust the ride height....

If you go for a kit that also has adjustable dampening, at least you know youve got it as good as you can possibly get it.
that is in some cases wrong, something Tigz always mentioned was that the non damper adjustable FK highsport coilovers were in between hard and soft and a good compromise where as the damper adjustable FK Konigsports were Hard or Harder rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

wayne

Give them a go mate, i guarantee you won't be disapointed. They are a bit harder, but i wouldn't say they were harsh, they are only harsh if you hit a pothole, but who does that?! The ride is firmer and sportier and to be honest i like it like that and it also doesn't feel that much different to the original gti setup in my opinion.

Im having a look at these currently:

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/vw%20lupo/suspension.html

Koni Sport Adjustable Suspension Kit £305

If anyone else has fitted a set what are they like and does anyone know of the ride height that would be

lowered by?? blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Chris

It says it lowers up to 35mm, which is a nice drop, but i t won't look "lowered" unless it is stood next to a standard gti. It will improve the handling though. The thing with the gti's is that the back is much higher than the front, so if your looking for a fixed spring setup why not look for a 60/40 kit. This will drop it 60mm at the back and 40mm at the front and i think this looks great on the gti.

It says it lowers up to 35mm, which is a nice drop, but i t won't look "lowered" unless it is stood next to a standard gti. It will improve the handling though. The thing with the gti's is that the back is much higher than the front, so if your looking for a fixed spring setup why not look for a 60/40 kit. This will drop it 60mm at the back and 40mm at the front and i think this looks great on the gti.

I see what you mean. Heres a pic of the Lupo in question (if the link works). I think by just fitting a decent set of springs would be a good touch as long as it doesnt sompromise the ride too much.....

http://www.evoposters.net/carsa/VW-Lupo-GTI/1_G?full=1

Chris

Edited by drummachine

that is in some cases wrong, something Tigz always mentioned was that the non damper adjustable FK highsport coilovers were in between hard and soft and a good compromise where as the damper adjustable FK Konigsports were Hard or Harder rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

wayne

Really ? wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

Is that after they have bedded in ? if so maybe ill go for some Silverlines.

Would of thought the drop intended by spring manufactures would be the best handling, the rear of the car naturally squats down under accelleration.

Cant see much harm in doing a 60/40 tho, but id stick to the same manufacturer. The springs will still be different rates.

Edited by LoopGTI

Koni Sport Adjustable Suspension Kit £305

If anyone else has fitted a set what are they like and does anyone know of the ride height that would be

lowered by?? blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

Chris

Chris,

A9XSJ http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showuser=1362 has the koni spot kit on his Lupo.

Pics of his car are here: http://lupogti.fotopic.net/c969592.html

or enter koni or A9XSJ in the relevant search boxes.