Best modifications for a fast Lupo GTi on Nürburgring?

Särås

i just had a look at that video again. i think that gti has the esp? can hear beep noises which sound like could be the warning for when its kicking in? it may give an advantage for the time on certain corners. do you have it on yours? our uk gti dont have it at all.

Edited by beach

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've picked this up a little late and haven't had time to read it all, but looking at the spec of your car and providing you know the Ring' pretty well, you will break 9 mins no problem.

I was back there in August and did a 9.10 on the one lap I timed. That was with some traffic and more to come from me and the car.

My car has KW V2's, poly bushes, 280mm front discs with Pagid Blues and braided hoses. Tyres are Eagle F1's.

You'll be quite surprised how much speed the Lupo will carry through the corners even on road tyres. Your Boxter and RS4 driving friends will be quite impressed. But your semi slicks will get you under 9 mins for sure.

Have a safe one!

One more thing Jimmy. Don't run the car too low. The right hand side driveshaft will catch the chassis leg. I've made this mistake before and had to go to Ring Racing to raise the car up.

sounds liek a fun project - first thing i'd add would be a decent strut brace fornt and back to keep it all planted. Looking forward to some pics and a full report afterwards smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> good luck.

I've picked this up a little late and haven't had time to read it all, but looking at the spec of your car and providing you know the Ring' pretty well, you will break 9 mins no problem.

I was back there in August and did a 9.10 on the one lap I timed. That was with some traffic and more to come from me and the car.

My car has KW V2's, poly bushes, 280mm front discs with Pagid Blues and braided hoses. Tyres are Eagle F1's.

You'll be quite surprised how much speed the Lupo will carry through the corners even on road tyres. Your Boxter and RS4 driving friends will be quite impressed. But your semi slicks will get you under 9 mins for sure.

Have a safe one!

One more thing Jimmy. Don't run the car too low. The right hand side driveshaft will catch the chassis leg. I've made this mistake before and had to go to Ring Racing to raise the car up.

Ho low could i go?

Allso i know it's god to have some "comfort" on the "ring" so i was thinking to just lover it 30-40mm but i don't know?

Looks like i cant get any braided hoses to my car!!!! thumbdown.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbdown:" border="0" alt="thumbdown.gif" />

I hope just to get a >9 min lap, think it shuld be posible!

But still i don't know!

Im intresting in that 280mm kit's...

Thanks!!!!! cheers.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":cheers:" border="0" alt="cheers.gif" />

/

sounds liek a fun project - first thing i'd add would be a decent strut brace fornt and back to keep it all planted. Looking forward to some pics and a full report afterwards smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> good luck.

Don't get any of that! sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

But i get a nice stabilisator brace in the back, i show you pics later...

Have been a long day! sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

But now the car have the 2 Sparco Corsa seats, and the back is empty! shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" /> wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Is the strut brace fornt worth a lot on the track whit a Lupo?

Thanks!

try and make the car as aerodynamic as possible

take off wiper blades

tape up round headlights

remove wing mirrors

as tesco say, every little helps! lol

Sounds god!

And easy to do!

Could do that in Germany!

THANKS! wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

i just had a look at that video again. i think that gti has the esp? can hear beep noises which sound like could be the warning for when its kicking in? it may give an advantage for the time on certain corners. do you have it on yours? our uk gti dont have it at all.

I have the ESP, but im never going to use it on a track!

But i have look on the movie like 10 times last days...

And i think i could take that!

But then if i do?

He don't have a lot of trafic and wheter looks nice...

We se if i have any chanse whit the wheter and everything...

Thanks!

/

goodridge will make you some braided hoses if you ask them and tell them exactly what you need.

I have a company in Sweden ho make hoses, but then i need to take the hoses of the car!

I don't have time to take tehm of and drive to that company... sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

/

you dont need to drive anywhere or take them off. can just get a close measurement using peice of string for length. then look at what connections they use at either end of hose then ask them to make it.

Just had a better look at this and if I were you i'd concentrate on the chassis and forget about power until your next trip.

I'd seriously try and get hold of the parts you need for a 280mm conversion. There are a number of threads about it on the site. I'd be careful with the pad combo you have gone for. The Lupo has very little weight in the back and blues warm up slightly quicker than yellows which might give you a bit of a nervous balance. ATE blue fluid will be fine.

I'd drop it 30mm and see how you get on. How it looks is secondary at the end of the day. I'd stick about 1.5 - 2.0 degrees of negative camber on the front as the Lupo suspension design has very little castor and they do have some body roll. A strut brace would be nice but is not essential.

The only other slight worry I have is your tyre size. I run 195/45x15 and with the six speed box, this gives ideal gearing for the Ring'. I think you will be slightly overgeared with 205/50's. You might struggle to keep it on cam on the climbs.

Beach is right about the hoses. Just use a piece of string to get a measure. The fittings are all standard VW with a banjo type at the caliper. It doesn't matter about the rear hose which goes into the rear caliper as this is braided anyway with rubber over the top.

Good Luck!

i'm on negative 3.5 degrees camber at the moment on 30mm drop it handles very well indeed compared to standard. can feel some oversteer on the limit. will be putting negative 1.5 for my daily normal setup though which will probably be ok for road?

Thanks guys!

Then i know what camber you whant me to run, and im try to get the front hoses to the car!

That shuld be so nice!

The 280mm conversion is just to forget, i have just the exhust done, the old one was not tight and had a leak... sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

But now everything is nearley done, just the cahssie kit and mayby the hoses...

THANKS!

/

Hello everyone...

You have alredy help me a lot, now i need some more help...

Could some one help me in this thread?

http://forums.clublupo.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25042

/J

Thanks every one!!!

Im now on the way to the hoses and then on the way to mount them, so thanks for that information!

/

Get an onboard camera and film it! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Are the lap faster then!? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I shuld se what we could do!

Everything for you guys!

Thanks! wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

/J

Hello!

Long night no sleep!

But finaly the coilovers (from the Lupo 1,4TDi it's fited) and the hoses are there, the brake fluid are changed and the wheels are on!

I did sleep 2 hours to night and soon i need to start drive...

So i hope everything is working now!

The car feels very difrent and great handling now, litle to mutch oversteer for my taste (and im driving a Honda S2000 on tracks and roads)... biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

But i think i could learn to live whit that!

Yes the mission is to have the car on the track all day long, and still drive fast.

But the "drivers" use to say, on Nordschleife you don't have the best chanse in every corner if you dont get outside the track (on the green) in some of them... wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

But any way, thanks to every one!!!

So happy i did find this comunity, so great information on the site!

Hope that every one understand what im trying to say, and i know my English is very bad.. But i do my best...

THANKS!

/Jimmy Särås

P.S Of corse im going to take pictures and try to tape some to a movie for you guys, some from the SPA and some from the Nordschleife! smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by Särås

A little late, but I'm wishing you lots of good luck here! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Looking forward to hearing the results, sure you will get the time you want wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I still wait for the pictures from the Nürburgring, and i don't have time for write a long story... DSC_7318.sized.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

The back of the car in a corner and whit some speed... DSC_7317.sized.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

A friend did drive the car, mr Erik Jirhall (Feed Me/BytBil) he have like 300++++laps of SPA in his back... DSC_6134.sized.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Any way this is me on the track... I dident run as fast as Erik, that was hard... But i could live whit that!

Hope you like some of the pictures from the track, i do so... smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I promise to come back to you all and give you some information, but i think everything whent ok, i dident run >9min but it was close, the problem on the sunday was the hi trafic on the track, but i did alredy know that...

Thanks and im come back in a week whit more information and pictures i gues... wub.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wub:" border="0" alt="wub.gif" />

Best regards

/J

Definately sounds like there is 2 people in that lupo video, would that make a difference to lap times ?

anyway good luck with it mate.

Thanks and yes it was 2 in that car and it make diference!

But i still had 2 in my car to so in "competition" is still the same, but i allso think that the car is "stock" or close to staock in the movie...

/

Edited by Jon