1.9 TDi engine into Lupo/Arosa

KernowBloke

Hi, I am new on here... so firstly let me say "Hello"

I currently own a 'tweaked' Saxo VTS, and am currently looking at starting a new 'project' car.

I have the idea of putting a 1.9 TDi engine from a Golf into a Lupo/Arosa.

I have checked the engine specs and as far as I can tell basically the 1.7SDi engine has the same bore (but a shorter stroke) than the 1.9SDi engine found in the Polo.

Therefore a 1.9SDi engine should fit into a Lupo/Arosa 1.7 SDi shell using the same mounts.

I am hopeful then that a 1.9 TDi would also fit. shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

Does anyone know if the 6 speed gearbox from the 130/150TDi Golf would also fit?

Also anyone know of any similar projects that I can get some tips from etc.

Many thanks for reading this rambling first post! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

a diesel project? arghhhhh noooo cough cough. the fumes.

lupo gti project its the best car to start with, do a 1.6 NA 160bhp high tune, very quick.

or if you want to do a build project then could start with a cheap old 1.0 lupo whip the engine out and hunt for a 1.4 superturbo engine to drop in. will be an easy 200+bhp car.

Edited by beach

do a 1.6 NA 160bhp high tune, very quick.

I have one now, albeit a Saxo!

I fancy something a bit different, and dare I say it more discreet.

It will remain badged as an SDi, and run 15" steel wheels!!!

Though underneath it will be totally "non-standard".

At least that is the plan, and by starting with a 1.7SDi, I would hope most of the 'diesely bits' will already be there...

just noticed your member name, are you in cornwall too?

Yes, mate...

Down on the "pointy end bit" smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

i will do all i can to pursuade you to stay petrol. got plenty enough taxis and busses in cornwall churning out the black stuff. 1.4 turbo mate!

so you down at lands end then, or the lizard? i'm in falmouth. i think i'm a semi legend for having the uk most stripped out car in my white micra which beats a lot of other cars. lol. you may have seen me. hope you get a lupo anyway as then there would be 2 clublupo members in cornwall!

Edited by beach

lupo gti project its the best car to start with, do a 1.6 NA 160bhp high tune, very quick.

or if you want to do a build project then could start with a cheap old 1.0 lupo whip the engine out and hunt for a 1.4 superturbo engine to drop in. will be an easy 200+bhp car.

160bhp in a state of high tune? The Ibiza Cupra TDi has 160bhp standard. The 1.9 PD TDi is tuneable to 230bhp if you throw £3k at it.

NFBR has shown what a 1.4PD TDi is capable of, I guessing that in gear it's more than a match for a GTi.

As for fitting a 1.4 twin charged unit, nice, but I think a few years is needed for this to become economically viable.

Go Derv, or fit the running gear from a Mitubishi Evo. It's been done to a Ka before now.

???

the vag 2.0 turbo petrol in the s3 is 260bhp standard.

not sure how much the 1.4 twin would be from salvage. but it would make the best complete lupo. otherwise then the 1.8T if its cheap to get. but 160bhp from the lupo gti would beat any diesel powered lupo on a track.

Edited by beach

???

the vag 2.0 turbo petrol in the s3 is 260bhp standard.

Yeah, but we know that 1000bhp is gettable from an Evo! Kerching. If 'bishi can sell a 2 litre car with 400bhp (FQ-400) and offer a three year warranty on it, you know it makes sense. Add in brain bashing handling and cheap donor cars and you're away. All the standard Evos are fundamentally similar with the same 275bhp. Floorpan transplant anyone?

Anyway, I thought that S3 engine was a bit rough. And it's not even available yet.

As for the race track, how many times have we heard or read about the Cooper S (163bhp) vs vRS (130bhp) tests. Even Stevens as it's down to torque too. Had Skoda (or VW or Seat) Minified the handling, I'm sure the VAG motors would've eaten the Mini. Why would a Lupo be any different if other variables were the same?

Sorry KernowBloke, we're not helping are we?

Edited by IDGM

Congratulations you quite easily win the prize for most Narrow minded person on this forum...

First you come on asking that all our avatars and signatures be removed, then you start making a pop at diesel engines...

You really arent setting off on the right foot are you ?

Thanks for all the comments so far...

I need a 'reliable' car to get to and from work, it is just for me, so I thought "go for a small car and stuff a big engine in it" shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

My research so far has shown that it is "do-able", and this kind of proves it.

I just wish I knew what that lupo had under the bonnet was before the transplant!

To me it makes sense to buy a 1.7SDi and transplant the motor, most of the brakes suspension etc. sould need uprating anyway, so even buying a "sporty" Lupo would still require most of the kit to be junked.

I suppose the interior might be nicer from a more "up-spec" car perhaps, but that can be changed.

If the engine fits, then go for it! And using a 1.7SDi to start means its already got the diesel pipeswork etc (though with a new engine I suppose thats not exactly a huge problem!) Diesel can easily match a petrol, and with fuel at the price it is now, you might even have a speedy car you can afford to run wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

I know my next car will probably be diesel, I like 'em. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Edited by lunalupi

i will do all i can to pursuade you to stay petrol. got plenty enough taxis and busses in cornwall churning out the black stuff. 1.4 turbo mate!

so you down at lands end then, or the lizard? i'm in falmouth. i think i'm a semi legend for having the uk most stripped out car in my white micra which beats a lot of other cars. lol. you may have seen me. hope you get a lupo anyway as then there would be 2 clublupo members in cornwall!

Not seen, but heard of I think...

An acquaintance of mine, tried to keep up in his (admittedly knackered) Calibra Turbo! <on a private test track>

What engine does your Micra run BTW?

2.0 16V Primera Lump?

Not seen, but heard of I think...

An acquaintance of mine, tried to keep up in his (admittedly knackered) Calibra Turbo! <on a private test track>

What engine does your Micra run BTW?

2.0 16V Primera Lump?

standard 1.3 micra lump lol. i remember a smokey calibra turbo trying to go fast a few times near me in falmouth. my micra is quick because it weighs so little, it has been tuned to about 110bhp ish.

i will be contructive here. like for like engine wise, diesel can never be as quick as petrol. its fact. its not about getting off on the right foot dudes.

hope kernow doest mind me giving opinion. i'm all in support of him doing a lupo project through. would be good to meet up if you did.

if its not open for discusion on fuel type though then i will accept your choice kernow, only it may force me to tune up my gti so you cant overtake me on any cornish roads lol. thats if you get a high bhp lump in your lupo.

Edited by beach

when it comes down to it, I pretty much proved on my way home from e38 that my TDI lupo IS quicker than a 100bhp sport lupo, both on the motorway, and from the lights. and at the end of the day, my 20,000 miles a year will cost me 3/4 the amount it would cost if i had the 1.4 100bhp sport...

Neither fuel is superior, Unless MONEY IS NO OBJECT.

of course a 1.4 with a turbocharger will be quicker than a 1.4 with no turbocharger.

if you put conditions on to the equation then you can come to any conclusion you like i guess.

but anyway dont be angry with me for giving an opinion, i dont like being insulted to saying i'm narrow minded i'm not at all. i also have a little humour aswell, so no worries eh?

also as snoopy said, i can say what i like as a new member in the suggestions forum. its a forum for suggestions. what kind of point are you trying to tell me nfbr? it doesnt sound good to me, unfriendly i would say, cheer up.

Edited by beach

Congratulations you quite easily win the prize for most Narrow minded person on this forum...

First you come on asking that all our avatars and signatures be removed, then you start making a pop at diesel engines...

You really arent setting off on the right foot are you ?

Leave beach alone, i've consciously noticed constructive posts from him.

Diesel vs Petrol is easily the most boring over-debated subject possible.

standard 1.3 micra lump lol. i remember a smokey calibra turbo trying to go fast a few times near me in falmouth. my micra is quick because it weighs so little, it has been tuned to about 110bhp ish.

i will be contructive here. like for like engine wise, diesel can never be as quick as petrol. its fact. its not about getting off on the right foot dudes.

hope kernow doest mind me giving opinion. i'm all in support of him doing a lupo project through. would be good to meet up if you did.

if its not open for discusion on fuel type though then i will accept your choice kernow, only it may force me to tune up my gti so you cant overtake me on any cornish roads lol. thats if you get a high bhp lump in your lupo.

No worries... I am just trying to weigh up the options at the minute, at the moment a powerful 'diseasal' engine appeals in the nose of a lupo.

Of course I don't mind anyone offering an opinion, that is the whole point of posting on a forum. wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Remember the fact that the oil chugger will be heavy.

The GTI feels a little nose heavy, even with the lightened front end, and only the 1600 engine.

That is a concern of mine, I need to "weigh" up the project before going ahead with it... blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

I may need to try and find out how much the various engines weigh, and see if there are any ways of restoring the weight balance, by lightening the front, or moving components to the rear etc.

Do you know if the 1.4 TDi feels nose heavy too?

of course a 1.4 with a turbocharger will be quicker than a 1.4 with no turbocharger.

that isn't necessarily true, but it is commonly acepted by many that a turbo car is faster

Diesel vs Petrol is easily the most boring over-debated subject possible.

you should see the flaiming that we get over the 2.0 fabia vs fabia vrs on briskoda!!!

like for like engine wise, diesel can never be as quick as petrol. its fact.

Please don't slate me if I'm wrong here peeps, but was the mk4 Golf TDI not better performance wise than the GTi? I'm sure I remember some sort of test on Top Gear.

Here the diesel Golf is compared to similar petrol equivalents - and performs better! (Click right arrow along 5 pages)

http://www.greenconsumerguide.com/master.h...v/vw/page1.html

Edited by Linz