Bilstein B12 GTI Suspension kit Ordered after much debate!

hufcforpromotion

Well took the plunge today and ordered the Bilstein B12 suspension kit! Have been undecided about what suspension kit to buy for my Gti since I bought it 6 weeks ago! Was going to go for coilovers but decided I don't really want to go that low and have looked at various other kits i.e. H&R cup kit and Koni Kit. I decided to pay the bit extra and go for the Bilstien Kit which is made only for the GTI and comes with tailored H&R springs and bilstein dampers lowering to 30mm all round which is the height I am after. Ordered from speedbox.co.uk for 481 pounds with free delivery which is the cheapest off the net! This kit retails for over 550 pounds! I will have pics up in the next couple of weeks of all the new mods I have in the pipeline!

• 4 weeks later...

All fitted and allignment done as well! Took me 6 hours to fit everything and have took lots of pics which I will put up asap! Very impressed with the ride! Feels very comfortable but handles brilliant and has came down to the height I was after! Worth every penny! Looks very oem still!

Sounds great, looking forward to the pics.

Where did you get your alignment done, I still haven't got round to sorting mine out yet blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> Did you get camber checked too?

Had the alignment done at north Eastern tyres in middlesbrough and cost £23 all in! They have the latest Hi tech sysyem and got a print out of all the figures before and after! The only thing that needed changing was the toe on the front wheels as all the rest of the camber e.t.c. was still within limits!

so they did an allignement check and printout before they fitted the springs? wondering if it was definately the spring drop that made the toe go out of limits..

will be getting mine done soon, with printouts etc. will post them up to compare with you should be interesting. mine will be on 30mm drop eibachs.

Edited by beach

i'm not sure you understood what i meant niki, normally on the allignment check they do a before and after readings as part of the single process, they measure the setting on the car, compare it to the database on the computer which gives what it should be then correct it and print the after results next to the before results on one page, even if no parts are fitted. so what i'm saying is was a allignment check done with printout (which normally prints with a before and after page) then were the springs fitted, and then once more it went on for allignment with another new printout of different before and after settings. i think thats what i mean.

anyway i will compare my results with yours hufcforpromotion, as we both have gti and about a 30mm drop change.

can i ask if you touched the fuel filter or rear silencer while fitting??

Edited by beach

i'm not sure you understood what i meant niki, normally on the allignment check they do a before and after readings as part of the single process, they measure the setting on the car, compare it to the database on the computer which gives what it should be then correct it and print the after results next to the before results on one page, even if no parts are fitted. so what i'm saying is was a allignment check done with printout (which normally prints with a before and after page) then were the springs fitted, and then once more it went on for allignment with another new printout of different before and after settings. i think thats what i mean.

anyway i will compare my results with yours hufcforpromotion, as we both have gti and about a 30mm drop change.

can i ask if you touched the fuel filter or rear silencer while fitting??

"can i ask if you touched the fuel filter or rear silencer while fitting??" what do you mean by that?

lupo workshop manual says the fuel filter needs to be removed to remove correctly the rear suspension, and also the rear silencer bolts/bracket.

i will be showing the printouts to the garage i will be taking the parts to tomorrow, hopefully they will fit it very soon. will see if they follow the instructions or not if they dont think its needed.

did they do an alignment test before you fitted your springs and shocks?

Edited by beach

The rear suspension is a doddle to fit! Just undo the top nuts then jack the car up by the toe eye point and then undo 1 bottom bolt from each strut to remove them then simply lift out the srings! I only got an allinment check after I fitted the kit as did not see the point to getting one done before!

no indeed i wont be getting one done before either. the 1st reason why i mentioned it as a question was because you said the toe was out, but its not 100% certain (although likely) that the toe was correct before the springs were fitted. just wanted to know when the before and after was done. now i know LOL heheh.

looking at the manual it says to check camber is set correctly after refitting, so i guess there must be a bit of adjustment available built into the lupo parts as their being fitted up. so adjustable camber bolts are not needed. for those of us with 30mm drops anyway. maybe different with lower drops.

• 2 years later...
Well took the plunge today and ordered the Bilstein B12 suspension kit! Have been undecided about what suspension kit to buy for my Gti since I bought it 6 weeks ago! Was going to go for coilovers but decided I don't really want to go that low and have looked at various other kits i.e. H&R cup kit and Koni Kit. I decided to pay the bit extra and go for the Bilstien Kit which is made only for the GTI and comes with tailored H&R springs and bilstein dampers lowering to 30mm all round which is the height I am after. Ordered from speedbox.co.uk for 481 pounds with free delivery which is the cheapest off the net! This kit retails for over 550 pounds! I will have pics up in the next couple of weeks of all the new mods I have in the pipeline!

I agree with you on this one, coilovers are not real coilovers unless your spending £200+ a corner and have fully adjustable damping spring rate etc and they should enable you in theory to not lower the cars ride height at all.

I know spax do a set for less than £600 which allow a drop of 20mm which would be ideal and tbh i am considering them but for what its worth i think i'd be better off with these b12's for now im looking to get some next month maybe so as you've fitted them could you tell me what to expect??

You dont need to move anything for the rear suspension fit. Its easy, plus you cannot get a coilover for the rear anyhow.

As for camber adjustment... there is none what so ever on the rears. unless you get camber shims for the hubs. The front shocks will have an slotted hole, which is your camber adjustment. No need for camber bolts at the drop you are planning. My 50mm ish drop on my V1's use the standard bolt and i have a -0.5 camber angle.

John

Edited by CasperGTI

I agree with you on this one, coilovers are not real coilovers unless your spending £200+ a corner and have fully adjustable damping spring rate etc and they should enable you in theory to not lower the cars ride height at all.

I know spax do a set for less than £600 which allow a drop of 20mm which would be ideal and tbh i am considering them but for what its worth i think i'd be better off with these b12's for now im looking to get some next month maybe so as you've fitted them could you tell me what to expect??

If you do decide to go for the B12's we should have the lowest price on the web. If you do somehow manage to find it available to buy for lower PM me and I'll do my best to beat it.

-Jon

I can confirm this kit can be fitted to a non GTI. I had to do minor modification to enlarge one hole on the cups that holds the spring down at the top on the front as the shaft appears to be slightly larger than standard

apart from that it was a simple fit. They truely are a fantastic kit not to hard that you crash around but firm where you need it.

If you do decide to go for the B12's we should have the lowest price on the web. If you do somehow manage to find it available to buy for lower PM me and I'll do my best to beat it.

-Jon

What are the spring rates like on these? i'm assuming there stiffer than the standard springs, as i'm just concerned about the whole ground clearance issue i make out my car to be about 120-125mm off the ground which is low to start with. so whats a 30mm drop on a gti like are there any issues with speed bumps? and i know it wont fit over the kerb.

i'm thinking the eibach springs first then if i can live with the ride height i'll get the b8 dampners to suit?

if i find anywhere cheaper i'll post it up

Edited by Toi gulp