Lupo GTi on top gear ?

SiiMo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look forward to seeing the gti video too! the diesel one is great smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> glad ive got to see that again!

Jen x

Cool, she doesn't give it a good review really does she?

X907 NJO, whose is that? Whoever it is their Road Tax has expired.

Date of Liability 01 08 2006

Date of First Registration 04 12 2000

Year of Manufacture 2000

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1598CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Licence Due to Expire

Vehicle Colour RED

I enjoyed that review, she got the suspension bit spot on though, aswell as saying that she would "slap on some stiffer suspension". Thanks again for that upload dale, i've been wanting too watch that for months.

the only ergonomics on my gti i think are incredibly bad designed is the window wind buttons. i either have to use my left hand to reach over myself or kind of dislocate my right shoulder to reach them, why are they so far back on the door???

l like the lupo front end look also.

i agree the car rolls and seat to high. so mods i need to do 1st perhaps are stiff suspension or somehow get some better anti roll bars fornt and rear. and get a nice road use bucket seat to keep normal seatbelt and hopefully the subrame bolts on lower than the stock vw setup.

...seat to high. so mods i need to do 1st perhaps are stiff suspension or somehow get some better anti roll bars fornt and rear. and get a nice road use bucket seat to keep normal seatbelt and hopefully the subrame bolts on lower than the stock vw setup.

Is it just GTi seats that are too high? I have mine down at its lowest setting and its perfect for me. Coming from Polos, Fiestas and Clio's into the Lupo it always feels nice and low.

My only driving position grump is that I wish the wheel also adjusted for reach as well as rake.

i expect all models are that high, but its just what you feel is right for you, have you been in a car where your practically on the floor? it feels great. at least with the higness in the lupo the head clearance is still good, japanese cars are also good for this, if it was french you would be banging head on the roof and trying to look through the sunvisor mounts. i'm average height aswell.

i agree all cars should have reach adjustment as standard, but i think they might delibereately not allow it on most cars as they dont want you to be too close to the airbag when it goes off.

in my other car (rally setup micra) i have a nice momo wheel with 60mm sparco spacer to bring the wheel right up close to my chest like the rally cars have. it so much more controllable and fun. no airbag of course. my elbows are in line with my body and touch my ribs, have a look at where your elbows are next time you grab hold of a steering wheel in most cars. its miles away. unless you have dwarf legs, and have the seat set to max forward..

Edited by beach

The GTI seats are lower than the sport ones.

Even if you have a GTi interior in a Sport confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

And what the hell you on about the window buttons lol?!

you must have short arms if you can reach them then. i struggle to bend my arm back far enough to even get to them. and i have my seat far back on its adjustment!

if gti seats are low i dread to think how high standard seats are lol.

Edited by beach

you must have short arms if you can reach them then. i struggle to bend my arm back far enough to even get to them. and i have my seat far back on its adjustment!

if gti seats are low i dread to think how high standard seats are lol.

I can reach the buttons fine too.

I can't see what you're on about about it being too high, although I've never 'sat on the floor', like you said, but today I slouched down in my seat a little bit and I could barely see over the dashboard!

how tall are you?

also VBH on top gear is not a tall woman and even she says the gti seats are too high, and she is right, anyone 5ft 8 or over (i'm 5,10 1/2) should find them too high.

Edited by beach

Hmm i've over 5'8 and find the gti seats fine, I use it on the lowest setting and I don't feel like I want togo any lower ! I've driven an evo 7 with bucket seats on the floor so know what u mean, but compared with most other modern cars I think the lupo is actually very good confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" /> I'd love a smaller, thicker steering wheel though smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

How vertical have u got the back of the seat adjusted, is it bolt upright ?

Edited by Dan_F

its quite upright yes. i find the steering wheel quite ok. the civic type R wheel is nasty, its one of the reasons i chose not to buy one its so bad, i noticed on the revised model last year there is a completely different wheel that feels good. they must have had complaints.

i expect all models are that high, but its just what you feel is right for you, have you been in a car where your practically on the floor?

A few (RX7, Evo7, Elise and VX220...) and you are right it does feel lower than the Lupo but as mentioned already the Lupo isn't that bad for being low down. Certainly when I give someone a lift in it they nearly always comment that the seat is very low.

I think what makes the Lupo driving position feel higher though is that the side windows are also quite big. Unlike a mini where you sit at pretty much the same height and have a high dash to look out over. Minis have a high waistline in comaprison to the Lupo so you feel a bit more open. THe benefit of that though is greater visibility.

And what the hell you on about the window buttons lol?!

I always tend to rest my elbow on the buttons, Always give the passenger a shock when the window starts going down lol

Thanks for the vid and link biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by SiiMo

• 6 months later...
Top gear lupo videos have gone sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

its been taken off due to copyright infringement. . . ooops!!

i may still have the vid somewhere tho