Warning! Weak spot for corrosion on your Lupo!

DK16V

Hi!

Polishing my car the other day i stumbled across something i did'nt expect to see on my 6 year old Lupo!

A corrosion! And a serious one! mad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

It is located under the roof drain lists (Don't know the english word for this) blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

It has started under the sealing were the roof has been laserwelded to the side of the car, and is now

beginning to eat it's way onto the roof! Aaaaargh!!!

I ripped the 2 so called lists of the roof an found 4 (!) other places were it's was beginning to corrode!!!

Talking to my german Lupo buddies on Lupoclub.de it came to my attention that it is a weakness on the

Lupo, especially model produced in 1999 and 2000!

There have been several cases in germany!

But VW (as usual) claims that it is not a serial problem, therefore no warranty claim!!! wacko.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />

But for 400£ they would repair and paint the roof!

So go and rip those roof lists of and check below....you'll never know what lies beneath! wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

12 years anti corrosion warranty my ass!

Edited by DK16V

A user on here, Lynsey has had this problem, and also failed to get it covered by the anti corrosion warranty.

This is because it's an Anti Corrosion *Perforation* warranty - you'd need to wait for it to perforate before you make a claim.

I always wondered about the roof rails, especially with how easy they can come loose that some water might get underneath them and remain trapped.

Thanks for this advice thumbup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbup:" border="0" alt="thumbup.gif" />

ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> best be checking mine then i think!

Alfie twisted.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":twisted:" border="0" alt="twisted.gif" />

Don't have any pics of it, but here's a link to the german Lupo site:

Pics of a german Lupo with the problem.

And i'm glad to be of assistance for my fellow Luponians! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I'm going to the VW technical center here in Denmark next week.... coffee.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":coffee:" border="0" alt="coffee.gif" />

I don't expect any claim, but i think it's worth a shot....

A user on here, Lynsey has had this problem, and also failed to get it covered by the anti corrosion warranty.

Thanks for the reminder John! What a nightmare that was!

My lupo was just 3 ½ years old when I first found "the dreaded" (mine is a 2001 Y-reg btw), VW are assholes, no point bothering with them if any of you are unfortunate enough to find anything on your cars

See my thread HERE if you fancy a read of the fault with my lupo PICT0435small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

PICT0436small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

You get the idea, but remember folks it is rare so don't go getting worried tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

It's a bit of a worry as my cover peices are loose on both sides. They keep popping out of the gutter and sliding back until they're stopped by the spoiler. Are they supposed to be glued down in some way then?