Police van coming home from Santa Pod today

lupodave

Coming home from GTI Festival today, passed a police van, a mate said he thought he saw a camera sticking out of it. Went passed doin about 36/37 but I didn't know if it was a 30 or 40. It was coming out of the town of Wellingborough just before the roundabouts up to the A509. Anyone want to shed any light in my direction?!? Sh*tting it about that a bit.

Cheers, Dave.

Coming home from GTI Festival today, passed a police van, a mate said he thought he saw a camera sticking out of it. Went passed doin about 36/37 but I didn't know if it was a 30 or 40. It was coming out of the town of Wellingborough just before the roundabouts up to the A509. Anyone want to shed any light in my direction?!? Sh*tting it about that a bit.

Cheers, Dave.

Clock reading 36/37 you were probably doing 32/33 so i wouldn't worry about it mate. plus AFAIK that bit of road is a 40mph is it not ?

Always wise to drive sensibly to and from these events - the police are often out in their vans, because they know so many people drive like idiots, especially on the way home. Easy pickings sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Well I was hardly driving idiotically! The van was hiding in some bushes of a joining road too - b*stard. Didn't see him untill I was a bit passed him, too busy tryna read road signs lol.

I never forget going to the BMF bike rally in Peterborough a few years ago. After the event all the bikes were leaving and heading north up the A1 in big bunches all doing well over 100MPH, police just left us to it as there were 1000s of us. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I just remembered also that the van wasn't on my side of the road and they usually get the front of your car pointing at you from the same side of the road, no?!

I just remembered also that the van wasn't on my side of the road and they usually get the front of your car pointing at you from the same side of the road, no?!

i think so... i dont think cameras work getting you from the rear.. thats why you see pairs of them over 100m or so on opposite sides of the road so often (well you do round here anyway!)

I never forget going to the BMF bike rally in Peterborough a few years ago. After the event all the bikes were leaving and heading north up the A1 in big bunches all doing well over 100MPH, police just left us to it as there were 1000s of us. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Problem is that now they have digital cameras so no chance of the film running out.

• 2 weeks later...

...well it's been 2 and a half weeks now and I've not heard anything so I think I can count myself safe. Shame my dad went and did the exact same thing last week though! That'll be another nervous couple of weeks waiting for the postman lol.

Edited by lupodave

When I went to Cardiff in May I went past 3 mobile vans. Two were unsighted and I was maybe going a little fast. Was bricking it for the next couple of weeks worrying that I'd be halfway to loosing my license!

Sorry to say this but if I were you guys Id still be passing brown!

i had a similar experiance at the fife meet not that long ago , but its been 3weeks and nothing , i think i got away with it
if they don't let you know within 2 weeks then you are fine.

Why do you think you've got away with it?

I got my most resent set of 3 points 5.5 months after the offense.

No, they can get you were ever they want, it doesnt mater which side of the road or even the direction the vans facing you. As I know from my other 3 points laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> (3 lanes over and facing towards me)

...well it's been 2 and a half weeks now and I've not heard anything so I think I can count myself safe. Shame my dad went and did the exact same thing last week though! That'll be another nervous couple of weeks waiting for the postman lol.

...safe really?

Why do you think you've got away with it?

If you are not stopped and given a verbal NIP at the scene you need to receive a written NIP less than 14 days after the day after the event (14 actual days, not working days).

There are a few get-out clauses - delays in post don't count, but they have to be able to show they posted it in time to reach you if the post wasn't delayed. If you were driving a hire car or a car that wasn't your own the 14 days doesn't apply due to the extra time it takes to find out who the driver was. If you haven't updated your address with the DVLA since you moved it's got to be served within 14 days to your previous address, not your current address.

However, all those are relatively ununusal circumstances - in general, the 14 days rule applies for almost all speeding offences by camera vans (i.e. where they didn't stop you at the side of the road and give you a verbal NIP).

Adam speaks the truth - the true cut off point is 6 months. Similar happened to me (a very very long time ago).

That's for a FPN, not a NIP.

But true, you could get the boring 3 points/60 quid fine up to 6 months later. The NIP is the one that means you could end up going to court, which is usually a lot more serious.

Ahh yes, I recall that now - I did get a nip but I didn't get prosecuted for just under 6 months.

6 months is the cut-off for prosecution, nip or no nip.

Not quite - it's actually three years. They've got to prosecute you within 6 months of time when the Crown Prosecution Service is happy they have enough evidence. In other words, the CPS signs a piece of paper that says they're happy that they think they can win in court, and from the date of that signed piece of paper, they have to get you to court within 6 months.

However, they can take up to three years to actually gather that evidence before they sign the piece of paper (although then they'd have to get you to court on the same day - 3 years is the absolute cut-off)

I think it must vary for different situations - my solicitor was adamant that if it went over 6 months from the date *of the offence*, then that was the end of it.

Maybe that is the absolute legal limit, but for most claims I understand it to be 2 weeks...and in reality....the police system would have to be seriously up the sh*tter to take longer than a month to send out a speeding fine, so as far as I'm concerned, much longer than a few weeks and you shoudl be ok. At the end of the day, your speedo over reads anyway. When I went past them, I was most likely doing the speed limit anyway. I'm pretty observant of the speed limits, so if I was over on my clock it would probably on be by a couple of mph.

yeah, stack on the vx was almost exactly spot on even at 3 figures (private road mr admiral) always made you wonder why everyone was going slow through roadworks.

yes, 2 weeks for the nip, as discussed above wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

You guys say that but I didnt receive anything at all until the court summons dropped on my door!

My speedo doesn't overread sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

Neither does mine aparently, having been caught doing bang on 50 and 70 respectivly.

Edited by Adam-B