hit or miss?

Crusoe

large.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

guess it depends how much extra over the soft top and hurts the performance and handling. I'd guess that for a grand or more over the price of the soft top and slightly worse performance and handling most people would go for the cheaper better option but maybe the added security, bad weather protection, pose value and roof up noise reduction will attract more people?

Miss, what a waste of a good car.

Enthusiasts will be the only ones to buy the rag-top now, all the poseurs can have the CC and risk tarring the MX5 with the hairdresser brush again. sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

got to be at least a grand more than the soft top though, plus when it's up there will be a decent bit of weight high up just where you don't want it so raise the centre of gravity a fair bit you'd imagine. Could soften the suspension a bit add more kit and make it less of a sportcar more a base model slk competitor.

Base SLK is still going to cost £20k more than it though surely?

All it will do is tempt those interested in a Micra, 206, Colt CC.

It'tl be far too heavy compared to the equivalent ragtop, if they wanted to make a hard-top MX5 I'd have rather they had gone down a propper coupe route like BMW have with the Z4.

mazda_mx5_cc_400_02.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

At least it still looks like an MX5 in profile and they haven't messed with the proportions.

top price 2lr sport mx5 lists at £18,950 so you'd guess at slightly over £20K for a 2lr sport cc

Max power (bhp/rpm) 158/6700

Max torque (lb ft/rpm) 139/5000

0-60 mph (secs) 8.1 say (add 0.2sec for the extra weight)

Max speed (mph) 135 say (add 5mph for the lower drag of a coupe top)

base SLK 200 £28,070 list

Max power (bhp/rpm) 161/5500

Max torque (lb ft/rpm) 177/3000

0-60 mph (secs) 7.9

Max speed (mph) 143

performance is almost identical, mx5 slightly down on power and torque but should be a bit lighter. The monthly costs for both are probably going to be similar too as the merc is probably going to hold it's value better.

edit - more info, penalty is supposed to be only 36kg for the hardtop (probably ok when it's down but not so great for handling when it's up) sounds like a good job by mazda to keep the weight down. Looks quite like the S2000 hardtop when it's up

http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/d/75954...w_detail?skip=4

Edited by Crusoe

I think it'll be a hit (although I dont want it to be as I dont like the MX5 in any incarnation). This CC MX5 will do well due to the UKs thirst for cabs, but not the weather to live with them evey day (as some of you will know, the UK buys more cabs every year than Spain, france and Italy put together).

Also with the roof up surely the chassis will be margenly stiffer than the original.

I like it. I'd love another 2 seater convertable as well as my Leon but I'd probably go back to my old Triumph Spitfire 1500. More fun smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Hit for me, don't see whats not to like, sure it will be a bit on the lardy side, but if thats a worry get the soft top. Simple shape, much improved interior compared to the Mk1 MX5, although the magazines say that dynamically its not as good as the old one.