MOT and VW dealer

Petes 16V Sport

Right not sure whether anyone remembers the saga now, but anyway, since I got my spoiler fitted by VW stafford last year its had to go back to be repaired 3 times

The first time... spoiler was sprayed substandardly and had a dent in it

Second time, 3rd spoiler brake light didn't work

Third Time - 3rd Spoiler brake light didn't work again

Fourth Time - 3rd spoiler brake light didn't work again... got there and it worked VW said it was fine (didn't even check the connection)

So I trundle off to my MOT at VWRescue in Gornal, near Dudley, (which incidently AndyW went fine, found it fine and the guys there were really nice guys, definately considering having a service done there - ill write a comment on autojournals in due course!) had my MOT done, everything went fine, apart from guess what...

failed first time on 3rd level rear brake light not working... They said the connector had being forced and basically was as simple as VW had jammed a wire into the connector as it was already broken and needs replacing... which they've written on my invoice so I can go moan at them...

Just wondering though, do you think I should complain at VW UK? it's just its pretty substandard that I've had to take the car in four times in the last 9months, and I paid £277 which is not an insignificant amount of money to a student like me

What do you think?

Pete

We've complained to VW Customer Services A LOT about our car and we've got somewhere, not what we wanted but some progress has been made. They do take their time, and when they say they're going to ring back, they take forever over it, or simply don't.

If you're going to ring them, pester them like hell and you might get somwehere.

they cant fail u on the 3rd brake light not working....mine doesnt work and it passes mots...

I'm pretty sure if you have a third brake light it has to work

well I have a fail certificate, along with a pass, because the third brake light didn't work, then they put it through again after they fiddled with it and it worked.

Definately taking it back to VW, just dont know whether I should ask for some kinda partial refund/compensation (such as a free check or something), as the customer service has being pretty pants sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

I'm pretty sure if you have a third brake light it has to work

No, only the two "side" brake lights have to work (if you look at the MOT details). If they fail it for the highlevel brake light not working that's not right.

We had a big discussion on it a while ago.

I'm not entirely sure... I don't think a third brake light is mandatory for the MOT, but like side repeaters before they became mandatory, it may be the case that if it's there, it should be working. If it's not working, sticking something over it would allow it to pass in this case.

I shall see if I can check it out.

The general rule of the mot is if its on the car it has to work so id expect a fail for it not working

Id complain about the spoiler mate it sounds like the same problem im having, you tell them whats wrong and they dont listen/do anything about it but waste your time i dont know what VW uk direct is like but seat uk is appauling they are worse service than the dealers and that really is saying something

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder

This is what it says about high level brake lights in the VOSA (Vehicle and Operator Services Agency) Special Notice 02-99. I'd say if your light isn't working the inspector should "pass and advise" based on what's said below.

Item 7 High level brake lamps

Some vehicles are fitted with what appears to be a high level stop lamp, but which in fact is not connected to the wiring loom. In this case it is not a ‘lamp’ for the purposes of the MOT test.

The difficulty is knowing this, as you are not permitted to dismantle.

When extra lamps are fitted and there is doubt whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given to the presenter and ‘pass and advise’ is the correct course of action.

All lamps that light when the foot brake is applied must meet the criteria laid down in the inspection manual.

Edited by BigMon

Right not sure whether anyone remembers the saga now, but anyway, since I got my spoiler fitted by VW stafford last year its had to go back to be repaired 3 times

The first time... spoiler was sprayed substandardly and had a dent in it

Second time, 3rd spoiler brake light didn't work

Third Time - 3rd Spoiler brake light didn't work again

Fourth Time - 3rd spoiler brake light didn't work again... got there and it worked VW said it was fine (didn't even check the connection)

So I trundle off to my MOT at VWRescue in Gornal, near Dudley, (which incidently AndyW went fine, found it fine and the guys there were really nice guys, definately considering having a service done there - ill write a comment on autojournals in due course!) had my MOT done, everything went fine, apart from guess what...

failed first time on 3rd level rear brake light not working... They said the connector had being forced and basically was as simple as VW had jammed a wire into the connector as it was already broken and needs replacing... which they've written on my invoice so I can go moan at them...

Just wondering though, do you think I should complain at VW UK? it's just its pretty substandard that I've had to take the car in four times in the last 9months, and I paid £277 which is not an insignificant amount of money to a student like me

What do you think?

Pete

Hiya, u got a contact number for VWR Gornal? I live Walsall and my MOT due 2 weeks time and i aint gonna use my main dealer again....cheers

ac1962 u have PM smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

it passed second time after they fiddled anyway smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> it is an interesting point though Big Mon.

I'm just annoyed that my local dealer is so cheap they cant even replace a dodgy connector, despite having the vehicle for the same thing in their hands 3 more times then they needed it to be there.

Edited by Petes 16V Sport