Lupin III (Petrified's 1.4 16v Sport)

Petrified

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid £150 for it. It's a left hand drive cage, but there not really that much difference. im guessing what is an extra bar for driver harness. It's made by omp and I was going to buy an omp new cage for around £280 anyway so im very happy with it.

It wouldn' fit a nomal lupo though, not unless you remove the dash, seats, steering wheel, headlining and remove everything stuck to the roof of the car. also looks like it needs the passenger door removed to fit properly. not no quick job.

Edited by Petrified

Wont take long to grind the welds off the extra bar and move it across to the drivers side smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Good buy that, I was going to buy it a couple of years back, but he never got around to getting me a price!

Think his car parts are all over this club.

I have his wheel hub on my car lol

not good.

car wasn't running right and pulled just under 110bhp.

not really sure what's wrong but at least the rolling road did it's job. hopefully nothing serious.

got a feeling i've done something stupid but will have a look in the daylight if it's what im thinking. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

still sounded nice though.!

http://www.mewn.co.uk/forums/lupiiinrr01.3gp

just checked the two runs now.

previously power peak was @ 6693rpm torque was running from 4500 to 6200

this time power peak 6416 and torque from 4200 to 5500

something not quite right.

the link: it's a 3gp file you need quicktime to run it, you might have to save it first.

oh yes works on the download.

so the graph stayed flat/dropped after 6416rpm thats a bit strange.

so your going to change something and redo are you?

it doesnt drop off, just doesn't gain any more power still pulls over 7000rpm.

I took the throttle body off to give it a clean. I cant imagine that would be causing a power loss unless I've done something stupid. the fuel filter and oil/filter have been changed. so I'm going to double check everything.

as long as it all checks out ok, im not too worried. i just want the car to be running at it's best. maybe it only has 110bhp. or maybe if it ran again it would have more power.

doesn't really feel any slower. confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

• 1 month later...

Small-ish update.

Last week got the FK coilovers fitted. feels solid now when turning no light back end. although is it turning a bit too quickly but that may change when I get to play about with the ride height.

I really need to get the rears down lower, they are as low as they go but the added weight of the cage and removing the rings should sort that out.

I also got my omp steering wheel fitted, finally after it's been sitting around for a while.

A few things removed or tidied up. The cage will be fitted very soon, maybe even this weekend! and I've got the lsd box to be fitted. all exciting stuff.

I went to santapod again on sunday. perhaps for the last time in Lupiiin. if anything just to prove that I've not lost any power after the dissapointing rolling road result.

First run I got a 15.9 with a set of shocks and springs in the boot so everything looked on track. once they were gone I got down to 15.7 but with 2.5 60ft times I couldn't get traction. lowered the tyre pressures but still couldn't grip. even spinning in third. it felt more powerfull and got my fastest terminal speed of 89mph. but on a dissapointing 16.0 run. kept lowering tyre pressures to 15psi and got it down to 15.6 but at 84mph.

SO annoying if I'd been getting 2.2 60ft times as before it would have been 15.3 1/4 miles but just couldn't get the grip. maybe if it had more sensible wheels on it'd make a difference. I think it would have got the time down further if there were more runs but the track was closed for a long time and only 6 runs it wasn't going to happen.

Cant see much point in taking it to santapod again as the cage will be fitted weighing it down. but with the lightweight seats and gti passenger door/ bonnet that will make up for the cage. so maybe with some 14" wheels and larger tyres it would get that 15.3

Still pleased though, as it's still pulling strongly. now on 123,000 miles lupiniii43.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Car is very dirty at the moment but I really cant be ass to clean it. I've got some new red leads fitted and removed a few more things from the engine bay.

lupiniii44.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

The interior has been tidied up, mostly the wiring. but I still need to do a lot of work here. As mentioned new steering wheel fitted but electric windows still need to be removed. I think I'll get rid of the passenger side first and stick a winder in there for now. Just not too keen on making holes for it.

lupiniii45.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

May be the last trip to Santapod for Lupiiin, next year he'll spend more time at Castle combe and Llandow. if I get anything major done to the engine to improve power I'll take him back, but I'll have another car to play with on the strip next year lupiniii46.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

lupiniii47.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

lupiniii48.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

lupiniii49.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

lupiniii50.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

That cage is looking cool.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

I wish Id bought it now!

smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Unfortunatly theres no way the cage will fit with a carpet and roof lining. even without the headlining. the soundproofing cardboard and glue needed to be scraped off to wedge the cage in. it's a very tight fit and bigger than the omp cages they sell at the moment. so depending on how hardcore you're going it may not have fit sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

It's just a trial fit at the moment. but totally wedged in. the cage needs stripping and re-painting and the padding will need redoing. I need to either put in another bar on the rear or remove the passenger side one. also the passenger side has a double door bar as it's a lhd cage. so still a bit of work to be done.

Been getting thumbs up already by fellow vw drivers so it's all worth it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Edited by Petrified

Been getting thumbs up already by fellow vw drivers so it's all worth it biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Are you sure they are not trying to tell you that someone has made it off with your interior? laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Are you sure they are not trying to tell you that someone has made it off with your interior? laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

they may be blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

People will know now not to mess with this beast now when they are driving behind you..

lupiniii49.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" alt="" />

Looks amazing mate.. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> shades.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":shades:" border="0" alt="shades.gif" />

A proper little weapon smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> and when iv seen cars in front with cages in i dont usually try racing them as assume there a comited driver laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> and isnt the road noise doing your head in by now? iv had just the rear stripeed out in mine for a two weeks due to doing seat brackets etc and the noise when driving along is already doing my head in sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

wayne

Yeah it's no fun now as it gets a bit more respect. although yesterday I had some wideboy in a mk5 golf gti pull up behind me on a dual carriageway, then try to overtake. I knew he was up for it and he was driving too close to the car for comfort and looked like a total geezer like someone from the glc.. I stuck my foot down and there was no way he was getting past. just outside the speedlimit he was inching forward but i dont really want to be speeding so i backed off. he would have had it anyway but happy it can still match that type of perfomance with the cage. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

noise isn't bad at all really, you get used to it. i do go a bit deaf after getting out of the car, but anything to quieten the voices is a bonus.

Edited by Petrified