what do u think i shud do?

martz

hey all, i am waiting for my first driving lessons in feb, and ive bought meself a black 1.4 16v lupo and was jus wundrin wat u all think i should do to mod it. tell me stylin ice and performace, wat u all got n wat u think i shud get. let me makes etc of gd lupo mods

cheers all

martz

Well I'd say a whole lot depends on your insurance, certainly where performance is concerned.

Stylying wise, depends on your personal preference really. ICE is much the same, what exactly are you wanting and how much cash have you got to spend?

With 3k to spend, you may have been better to buy a Sport or GTi. That way you'd get better performance than you'll get with the 1.4 even after backbox and filter, plus nice alloys etc, and the insurance would probably only be as crippling as it's going to be once you've declared these mods to your insurance company.

However, stlying-wise, I like low-key (he says with a bright green Loop!). Remove bump strips, colour code badges, bumpers, mirrors etc. Lowered with some nice wheels too.

Not up on ICE at all, so no point asking me!

Personally, if I was you, I'd forget about the performance mods. You don't need them - that car's plenty quick enough, especially as you haven't even got your licence yet. Concentrate on the styling. Make it nice and tasteful, and sort out your tunes. That'll give you a car to be proud of.

Agree with the old man above, those kinds of mods, at 18, will shoot your premium up a fair bit. I'd take that 3k and save it for a proper drivers car when your insurance gets lower after a few years of driving.

Or if insurance money isn't a problem, I wouldn't bother modding a 1.4 and I'd stick that cash towards a GTi or something else thats quick to begin with.

im 17 with a sport, my 1st mod was a cat 1 toad ai606 alarm with total enclosure, tilt sensors etc. spent - £340, insurance saved £800

plus the assurance of knowing that when sum fool decides 2 try and nik my car evry1s guna hear him, and it aint guna start.

and i can be a proper w****r and do my windows up as i walk across the carpark

Oooo...best mod ever! I approve whole-heartedly!

And I'm going to ignore the old man comment Andy - but just this once.

Mind, it IS true!

im 17 with a sport, my 1st mod was a cat 1 toad ai606 alarm with total enclosure, tilt sensors etc. spent - £340, insurance saved £800

plus the assurance of knowing that when sum fool decides 2 try and nik my car evry1s guna hear him, and it aint guna start.

and i can be a proper w****r and do my windows up as i walk across the carpark

how much do you pay insurance then mate ??

mite think about fitting a cat 1 alarm if it can nok so money off my insurance and i need an alarm anyway

cheers

Had toad on my last car with all the toys fitted it myself and it is one of the best alarms ever with full adjustability cant recomend toad enough, never had a clifford so cant comment whether better or not but alot of people do have them so that means something

wayne

I've got a total closure Clifford concept 600 fitted to my fiat. Their good, but as mentioned, they can get annoying. Carjacking system is great in theory, just give the tossers ur car if they come at u, and down the road the engine cuts because they haven't re-entered the code within 30secs of opening the door. However in practice this is really annoying, especially if you drop people off anywhere as you find yourself powerless down the road wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Edited by syphon123

ive had toad, clifford, cobra and auto watch alarms.....

..and id reccomend the auto watch - they used to be what AUDI dealers fitted in the 80s and 90s, very simple, very loud and ver effective!

as for modifying mate, id have a talk with your insurance company before you do anything to it.

also if your planning on upgrading to a gti or something else after a couple of years, bear in mind that you will lose most of the cash you've spent on modifications.

if you are intent on modifying id say go for:

a decent alarm system.

some good suspension, the best you can afford, kw, weitec, koni etc.

k&n panel air filter

new wheels + decent tyres.

some decent detailing kit - meguires, or zymol if you have lots of cash going spare.

Edited by big_chris1981

how much do you pay insurance then mate ??

mite think about fitting a cat 1 alarm if it can nok so money off my insurance and i need an alarm anyway

cheers

i got quoted £1800ish online as a second driver with my 47yr old dad as 1st driver with full no claims and clean lisence

then £1300ish online in my name with the toad cat 1 alarm and my dad as 2nd driver

i then rang up and they dropped again to £1028.99

all 3 quotes were with norwich union on the same day.

with regards to the brand, i was reccomended toad by a number of freinds with highly modified cars as they are pretty much the same as clifford but cheaper. (i think in the same way as vw and seat are similar but chances are ill be proved wrong in the next 10-15min)

i got the alarm with all the extras like total enclosure, tilt sensors etc. fitted with certificate for £340

also i lowerd mine 60mm on cheap springs, and no problems after 1 and a half months and 1000ish miles