Timing Belt

andy4976

Hi all,

I was just thinking about this the other day, my GTI will be 4 years old in April 2006, and at this moment in time has only covered 16k, what’s the VW recommendation for changing the timing belt, as doesn’t always go by mileage as can also deteriorate through time.

Cheers

Mines a X reg - 55k - and is going fine (passed MOT no problems a few weeks ago!) but it is going to need a new cam belt next year. As far as I am aware - VW check it at the 60,000 mile service but it is not unheard of for it too be replaced sooner.

Also - if it does go, that could cost some SERIOUS money - so i'm getting mine done as soon as christmas is paid off!

The service book says change at 80,000 - may be worth changing the tensioner sooner as mine snapped at 49k due to the crappy tensioner.

Thankfully VW paid out but its worth keeping an eye on

No I didn’t actually mean an exact year, I was trying to establish when the belt should be changed, My Punto was every 3 years or 60k, and which ever came first. not sure how VW schedule works as not had time to scan my service booklet, someone mentioned due at 60k, so I'm guessing its maybe every 5 years or 60k, which ever comes first, although 5 years seems excessive

Mine was changed at 42k, car is 4 1/2 years old, i was told it was on it's way out and to get it done sooner rather than later. There is no way i would wait till 60k, i would get it done way before that to be on the safe side, remember if it goes it bends valves and becomes very costly. Do a search on here for cambelt and tensioner failures.

I'm sure there isn't a specific age/mileage that vw say it should be changed, that said 4 years / 60,000 miles seems fair.

Tidy GTI - if your at 62k then yes definitely get yours done!

If the belt snaps then your looking at a bill of at least £1,000.

Petes 16v sport - you should be thinking about having it done sooner rather than later.

andy4976 - the 4th year service can be an expensive one (even if your on less than 40,000 miles). The brake fluid will need changing (should be done every 2 years) The air-filter needs replacing, likewise spark plugs, fuel filter and oil / oil filter. I went independant and it cost me £250. MOT is about £44, to change the cambelt, etc will cost between £200-£350 depeding where you go.

To replace the cambelt, tensioner and rollers cost me a smidge over £300 on my sport (at a vw garage as I had no choice). I didn't have the water pump changed at the time but would recommend this is done at the too (it doesn't cost much extra - maybe £40-£50 but can pottentially save you a thousand if it failed).

Right just off the Phone my local VW stealer ( VW Verve Glasgow) price as follows:

40k service £171.96

MOT £ 42.10

T/belt & Tensioner £352.50

Total £566.56

no way can I justify paying that for MOT/service/timing belt looks like I'll be going to a local garage

Can anybody in and around Glasgow recommend any local reliable garages, who you can trust ?

andy4976 - the 4th year service can be an expensive one (even if your on less than 40,000 miles). The brake fluid will need changing (should be done every 2 years) The air-filter needs replacing, likewise spark plugs, fuel filter and oil / oil filter. I went independant and it cost me £250. MOT is about £44, to change the cambelt, etc will cost between £200-£350 depeding where you go.

To replace the cambelt, tensioner and rollers cost me a smidge over £300 on my sport (at a vw garage as I had no choice). I didn't have the water pump changed at the time but would recommend this is done at the too (it doesn't cost much extra - maybe £40-£50 but can pottentially save you a thousand if it failed).

My 4 year service is also due and I called them last week.

They quoted:

MOT - £42

Service - £205

Timing Belt plus Water Pump - £345 (Water Pump £20)

They brought up the Water pump as they had a guy in last month who had the misfortune of it breaking only 4 months after work.

May get the Service and the MOT done at VW, but not the timing belt, only other VW place I know is in Motherwell, think its called Veedubs, used to take my Puntyo GT to AVA in glasgow may call them see what price they could do it for

I'm sure there isn't a specific age/mileage that vw say it should be changed, that said 4 years / 60,000 miles seems fair.

i got an updated memo round from vw hq stating that the cambelts should be changed every 60k or 4 years, whichever is soonest, about 2 weeks ago! this has just changed from 6-0k/ 5years! we had a car in today that had covered 10k, but was 4 years old, but still required the belt and tensioner regardless!