Lupo Spaceframe Build

1 Litre Screamer

Mental mental!! Can't wait to see this, in fact when its on the road I want to see this bad boy go! Oooo....

Just make sure you don't have too much grip on the rear wheels as the car is so light just have this picture of the lupo doing a wheely!

is that rollcage just rested in there?!!!??!?!?

Noooo!! It was bolted in originally until i did a small amount of modifying to the floor, its now welded in. Very stiff little car too.

Over the weekend a friend of mine has suggested a slightly more crazy approach to my project too! just when i thought i had decided on the final car he goes and tells me to cut the back of the roof off and make it a Lupo pick up with the bike engine! now i'm torn, its fairly easy to do really and it will save loads on weight. mmmm confused.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":confused:" border="0" alt="confused.gif" />

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

No way. Will look rubbish IMO and obviously non standard. Half the appeal for me would be having it look like a mildly modified Lupo. I'd almost be tempted to get extra silencing on the engine to make it quiet biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Surpise a few people! LOL

After a few hours messing and covering the back of the car, in true engineer style, i have decided to leave the pickup idea on the drawing board. Back to the stealthy ninja loop. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

good good.

now hurry up biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I am trying!! Just some person at Boeing has decided to take all my time up with some crumby aircraft. Dont they know how important a lupo is?? biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

That a cool idea!

Seen it done to a Saxo, it was at the autosport show this year and i had a bike engine in rear smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Nice sticky yokohama A539's are going to be fitted first then see how it goes. If need be i'll put colway F2 handcut slicks on the rear and just be careful with the law! blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

R888 Toyo's will be nice & grippy.

uncanny is'nt it how similar looking your car is to MrsB's 1.8T incarnation.

spooky.

Pro-Race 1's in black on her's too (nicked off my ibiza race wheel sets)

Awesome project..

that looks crap. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> although a roadster version could look cool. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> but i still say leave it! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

that looks crap. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> although a roadster version could look cool. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> but i still say leave it! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

I wouldnt say it looks crap, i actually like it but i won't be doing it, thats a hell of a job!!!

progress today has been ordering the polycarbonate windows, all of the glass except the front windscreen is been changed for the plastic version. Nice and light!!

edited to add: taking the window winding mechs out too, who needs those heavy things!! a small slider is good enough to keep mr plod happy.

Edited by 1 Litre Screamer

I wouldnt say it looks crap, i actually like it but i won't be doing it, thats a hell of a job!!!

progress today has been ordering the polycarbonate windows, all of the glass except the front windscreen is been changed for the plastic version. Nice and light!!

ok so it doesnt look crap, but i dont think that the lupo has the right shape to pull this off.!

The problem with chopping it, is that it accents the lower half. So unless the car's sat on it's ass, it looks like you've got miles of space in the arches.

yeah i agree. it needs to be low and with some massively wide wheels if its going to work!

even lighter?! blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> i should have videoed you and luke picking it up at the MK meet it was light enough then! and me and joe couldnt get over how stiff it is when you when round the corner and the wheel lifted! this is going to be madness when it complete! you still planning on using it as a daily driver?

Jen x

even lighter?! blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> i should have videoed you and luke picking it up at the MK meet it was light enough then! and me and joe couldnt get over how stiff it is when you when round the corner and the wheel lifted! this is going to be madness when it complete! you still planning on using it as a daily driver?

Jen x

oh yes, my plan all along has been to keep it a daily driver. If its designed and built correctly it should be fine. (he say's with hopeful confidence!)

once the rest of the new frame is made it will be even stiffer too, if not i will have a bendy twisty loop! As for madness when finished, well, i hope so. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

The problem with chopping it, is that it accents the lower half. So unless the car's sat on it's ass, it looks like you've got miles of space in the arches.

How about this then?

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h281/lup...lowridernew.jpg

I wish someone would do it, think it looks fantastic.

Edited by Tigz

the loop is too long to be that short in height, i think anyway. going to leave the shell as is and carry on the 'light as possible, fast as possible, crazy as possible' approach. blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

ur gonna have a small sliding window LMAO u where moaning the other month that u were too hot even with both your windows down

i know!! cooling was a big issue but i have sorted a nice cold air feed into the car so all is well now. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

You've chopped another big hole into it haven't you? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

lol! You seem to be covering everything anyone can throw at you with this project

You've chopped another big hole into it haven't you? wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

lol! You seem to be covering everything anyone can throw at you with this project

2 more holes!

i just hope i can cover everything the car throws at me once i cut the whole floor out! biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Thanks for all of the comments and feedback peeps, all of it is welcome. biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Hey daz its going well, has your mate being looking at petes lime green mini pickup by any chance?

and still love this idea it is IMO the ultimate sleeper, the problem with the minis now is cause of the Z cars being heavily advertised and so many of them built theres a lot of people expecting it from them whereas with the lupo/arosa as far as we know no ones attempted it yet although that may be for good reason wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> although youl soon find out

wayne

trust me this car is phenominal in the flesh! we have so much admiration for you! i would love to take it for a drive if i could reach the pedals or see over (rather than through) the steering wheel...hehe biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

ill try and get that video to work and put it on here to show how light your car is!

again its amazing keep up the great work! cant wait to see it finished!

*note to self* dont drive behind Darren when its finished if i dont want my bonnet melted...

trust me this car is phenominal in the flesh! we have so much admiration for you! i would love to take it for a drive if i could reach the pedals or see over (rather than through) the steering wheel...hehe biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

ill try and get that video to work and put it on here to show how light your car is!

again its amazing keep up the great work! cant wait to see it finished!

*note to self* dont drive behind Darren when its finished if i dont want my bonnet melted...

biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> Thanks Jen, cant wait to see the video, assuming it works! I'll bring a few cushions to E38 for you, get you closer to the pedals!!