Too much SPAM and 'bot takeover.

mk2

Checking in this morning, it's pretty obvious that CL is now becoming victim to our "we welcome everyone" attitude, where anyone can chime in if they have something to say. Sadly AI algorithms have learned that they can get around the simple join and verify procedure, meaning they can SPAM the forum effortlessly. All to help the Rusbots and CCP shills.

Besides a complete site rebuild, or more complex sign up or sign in procedure anyone got any ideas?

Myself and Ray are deleting BOTS daily at the moment, so until the guys at the top of the tree do something, all I can say is report it to us and we'll do what we can.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, messaged Matty, but not sure how often he checks his inbox.

I think that the forum will need a different confirmation method. But matty uses a template for this forum/site, so might not be that easy.

All you moderators must be well fed up. It's really picked up in the last few days. Thanks for keeping on top of it 🍻

Red C3PO eyes indeed :)

Edited by mk2
Ah, rich means red subtitle... d'oh.

Yes, do check in occasionally to make sure things haven't exploded ;)

So here's the thing. Way back when the forum used to generate enough revenue to pay for it, I used to subscribe to the IPB anti-spam service (it was actually a combined software update/tech support/antispam service). This subscription got more and more expensive as time went on, all the time while the traffic to the site declined, therefore the ad revenue started to massively decrease, further made more difficult thanks to ad blockers. Because I never used their support, as I never needed it, and the updates were pretty minor....I therefore stopped paying as I this point, I was having to pay out of my own pocket. And to be honest, spam seemed managable thanks to CAPTCHA picking up the worst of it.

Up to now, it's been fairly manageable, thanks to the fantastic help from @Silver! and @lupogtiboy who's work is very much appreciated. Unfortunately, moving forward there are very few options. Paying $200/year to turn the support service back on is madness and as mentioned, AI registration is probably getting good enough to get past most CAPTCHA or questions. I could throw in a very technical question into the registation page...but it would have to be something AI can't easily answer. Alterntatively, I can turn on manual registration, but that's just hard work. For now, I can't see any other solution other than reporting/blocking spammers :(

Could you run the sign up process through a different server and then use some sort of approved token or something? 

So imagine a new punter- they arrive here, start the sign up which then takes them to a service which has all the filtering stuff (all hidden in frames or pixels or something?). When they pass, they get dumped back here again. You know, a bit like a paypal merchant payment thing. Or would that also cost money? Hey, maybe the different server could be an AI bot to check the person is a person... AI blocking AI?